none
Media Player play count resetting

Question

• Hi

I've tried looking under various phrasings and the like, read various posts and tried various solutions but don't seem to have much luck.

Tonight I found that my media player play count has reset. The last time it did this I think was about six-eight months ago and both times I've done nothing to the WMP. Indeed, I've edited track titles, removed files etc in that time with no reset happening to the point by this current reset some song/files were in their upper hundreds.

I've tried the troubleshooter but it says nothing's wrong, I've tried many things but no joy. It's a minor irritation but I'd like to know why it happens, to stop it happening and to just get on with things :)

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you perform a system restore to check the result.

Also, you can go to the following folder %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player and then try to restore it to the previous version to check the result.

You can refer to Previous versions of files: frequently asked questions

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 28, 2012 8:37 AM
  • Thanks. I've had a look but it doesn't do anything.

It looks like the latest Windows Update for whatever reason had something to do with it. My thanks. I didn't quite realise WMP had restore points.

Friday, September 28, 2012 10:48 AM
  • Is it possible that WMP was not closed properly prior to the play counts being reset? Not properly closing WMP could lead to a corrupted media library, requiring a full library rebuilt which will make you lose all play counts.

If play counts are that important to you then you may want to use the Metadata Backup tool to back these up to an XML file.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Is it possible that WMP was not closed properly prior to the play counts being reset? Not properly closing WMP could lead to a corrupted media library, requiring a full library rebuilt which will make you lose all play counts.

If play counts are that important to you then you may want to use the Metadata Backup tool to back these up to an XML file.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

It's possible that WMP didn't close though I did nothing different than usual. Maybe it was a bridge too far that time round or an update fouled things up. Either way I've tried the tool you highlighted and I'll go on with that from there. My thanks indeed.
    Friday, September 28, 2012 9:16 PM