none
Cannot install windows 7 rc

Question

• Hi
    When I try to install it goes OK until the final stage where the monitor goes black. It is active and after 15 min it goes to sleep mode. When I wake it up it is still black. I cant fix the problem in safe mode because it wont allow when the install is not finished.
    MB is Asus P6T, graphic card is Zotac GTX260 216core.

Friday, July 17, 2009 8:55 AM

Answers

• It certainly wouldn't have occurred to me to fix the HD's MBR to get Win7 to install. It's a mystery to me. (At my level of understanding, that's not unusual.)

I've not had a Win7 installation fail due to a lack of drivers. (The devices that needed drivers didn't work, but the install finished.)

Along the line of diverting the thread:

I was curious whether Asus had a driver set for your A8V-F, but I see that it's a Fujitsu-Siemens proprietary mainboard.

(It looks like Asus basically didn't support the A8V series past XP, anyway.)

I expect that you already know about www.viaarena.com for Via drivers. It looks like there are Vista drivers there for your chipset and Via network controller. I suppose those might work, although you might have to work-around OS version checking.

I Googled Win7 drivers for the ALC655. Found some, but I don't have the hardware to test.

I think you're going to have trouble with the A-I-W 9000.

It's too bad that Microsoft hasn't bullied all of the third party hardware makers into writing Win7 drivers for all hardware that would run reasonably well with Win7, isn't it? (I doubt that you'd get Aero Glass with an AIW9000, but you probably would never care.)
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

maybe i can't help, maybe i can.

I reckon that some driver problems are involved. I had a similar problem while installing w7 at all. After reading the dvd and coming up twice it stated "configuration not completed... will complete after reboot" (The translation might be wrong because i've got a German version. Just tried to t.).
    So, it rebooted and still sent the message given above. And looped that way.
    I put my old w2ksp4 installation cd in, went into recovering console and ordered fixmbr.
    After that w7install ignored all driver requests and started installing w7 up to the end. 

I've now got time to search for working vista drivers for graphics card, networks, and some other devices.

Good luck
    Y_A_G
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:07 PM
  • I've never had any trouble installing WIn7 X64 on my system (Asus P6T Deluxe, nVidia GTX280 graphics card). I have not needed any additional drivers to complete the initial installation. (I added other drivers later.)

Another poster suggested driver issue. Do you have a P6T (not Deluxe)? If so, and you're using a SATA hard drive, I suppose that you could have it plugged into one of the SATA ports off the JMicron controller (orange). I don't know whether you could complete the install on that without drivers. None are needed if you use one of the Intel ports, and have them configured to IDE mode in the BIOS settings. (AHCI or RAID would require the Intel Matrix drivers.)

I imagine that you'd also need drivers if you were using an IDE (PATA) hard drive, as that would be using the JMicron controller by definition.

Best of luck.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:34 PM
  • Hi,

there are people that can't afford some brand new hardware, so am i. W7 is supposed to regard that fact. Mine is:

Motherboard:
          CPU Typ                                           AMD Athlon 64, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3000+
          Motherboard Name                                  Asus K8V-F  (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
          Motherboard Chipsatz                              VIA VT8383 Apollo K8T800, AMD Hammer
          Arbeitsspeicher                                   1024 MB  (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    Anzeige:
          Grafikkarte                                       ALL-IN-WONDER 9000 - Secondary  (64 MB)
          Grafikkarte                                       ALL-IN-WONDER 9000 -  (64 MB)
          3D-Beschleuniger                                  ATI Radeon 9000 (RV250)
          Monitor                                           AOC Spectrum 7G  [17" CRT]  (1115641015)
    Multimedia:
          Soundkarte                                        Realtek ALC655 @ VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
    Netzwerk:
          Primäre IP-Adresse                                192.168.1.36
          Primäre MAC-Adresse                               EF-9F-E9-F7-F7-F7
          Netzwerkkarte                                     Intel 21140-basierter PCI-Fast Ethernet-Adapter  (192.168.1.37)
          Netzwerkkarte                                     VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter  (192.168.1.36)

What w7install did was:

No Display driver (Alright, i confess that this gorgeously functioning piece of hardware is a bit out of fashion.), no network card driver (I've got 2, neither is working.), no soundcard driver (The ALC655 is quite often used.)

But, what i told above, there is a way to force w7install to install despite of missing hw drivers. That's what i wanted to tell. No less, no more.
    By the way, i don't think that anyone gets immediately the idea to fix the mbr in order to push w7setup to work.

So, please forgive me for spamming.

Nightgreets
    Y_A_G
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:04 PM
  • It certainly wouldn't have occurred to me to fix the HD's MBR to get Win7 to install. It's a mystery to me. (At my level of understanding, that's not unusual.)

I've not had a Win7 installation fail due to a lack of drivers. (The devices that needed drivers didn't work, but the install finished.)

Along the line of diverting the thread:

I was curious whether Asus had a driver set for your A8V-F, but I see that it's a Fujitsu-Siemens proprietary mainboard.

(It looks like Asus basically didn't support the A8V series past XP, anyway.)

I expect that you already know about www.viaarena.com for Via drivers. It looks like there are Vista drivers there for your chipset and Via network controller. I suppose those might work, although you might have to work-around OS version checking.

I Googled Win7 drivers for the ALC655. Found some, but I don't have the hardware to test.

I think you're going to have trouble with the A-I-W 9000.

It's too bad that Microsoft hasn't bullied all of the third party hardware makers into writing Win7 drivers for all hardware that would run reasonably well with Win7, isn't it? (I doubt that you'd get Aero Glass with an AIW9000, but you probably would never care.)
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:29 AM