none
Vista SP 2 install failure; KB948465; error 8024200D

Question

• Running Vista Home Premium, Version 6.0, build 6001 with SP1.    64 bit.  HP Laptop Pavilion dv5-1113us, less than one year old. No downloaded movies, video, or music, and very few photos (fewer than 30 photos).  I routinely use firefox instead of IE  (altho for some applications, i have to switch to IE.)  I don't have Norton or McAfee on this computer.

Have tried the SP2 update repeatedly over multiple days with computer shutdowns inbetween.   All other applications were closed when i was doing the update install.  The power cord is plugged in.  The error message is 8024200D. I have researched the forums as much as i can.  I tried these instructions, as advised on another person's question, without success:

"• Disable (1) your anti-virus application, (2) any real-time system
    protections afforded by any anti-spyware applications (except Defender), &
    (3) your third-party firewall (if any) and then (4) enable the Windows
    Firewall _before installing or uninstalling_ Vista SP2."

the url for this advice was:  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=602e3222-945e-4bc5-a54a-7375b86ec992&cat=en_US_2231886c-4c59-45b0-92e0-8881ddf5f40b&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1

So, i did these:
    1) Turned off the Resident Shield of my AVG (free version); there seems to be no way to temporarily disable the specifically Anti-virus part of the program.  According to AVG, the Resident Shield is the main component.
    2) Turned off the AdAware Ad Watch Live (i have the free version)
    3) Turned ON the Windows firewall
    4)  i don't know if i have a 3rd-party firewall:  we have a firewall via our router, but i haven't turned on anything else, like a firewall to protect children (i read something about this in another forum entry.)  I don't know how to turn off the router firewall, and that seems a little scary to do anyway!

i myself will not be able to do advanced troubleshooting.   Can you help?  Thanks!!

kathy

PS.  What will happen if i cannot install this update?   Will i be able to upgrade to Win.7 or not?
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:28 AM

All replies

• Hi kr3

Please do the following steps to fix the problem

Windows Vista Update error 8024200D usually occurs due to incorrect HTTP
    proxy settings.you need to clear the existing proxy settings
    If you are still facing problem then mail or chat at suzanee99@live.com so that i can do
    some advance troubleshooting

suzanee

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:35 AM
  • Wed. 1000
    Hi!  thanks for replying. 

i do not know how to clear existing proxy settings. Can you help me with that?

kathy
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:56 PM
  • 1045 AM

by googling it, i can find precise directions on how to clear proxy settings, but i am hesitant:  what does this actually DO?  Is it safe for me, as a non-techie person, to do this?   Is it similar to clearing History or cache?

kathy
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:42 PM
  • 8:45 PM

This is what i have done today:  downloaded CC cleaner and ran it, and had it fix whatever it could.  Ran PC Pitstop; it found an outdated driver.  I purchased the "PC Matic" (which is the brand new compilation of all the PC Pitstop programs) and had it fix all it could, also. 

so, again i tried to download the SP2 update; first, as before, i turned off the AdAware, the AVG resident shield, and turned on the Windows Firewall, and made sure all the other applications were closed.   All the updates failed again.

i am so frustrated i could spit.

i am hesitant to play with the proxy settings.

kathy
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:53 AM
  • Friday, 7:45 AM

I still am needing some help with this!  Please, someone help.

thank you.

kathy
    Friday, October 30, 2009 12:46 PM
  • kathy,

I am using an HP Pavilion desktop and I am having the exact same problems you are.  Earlier this year I recieved a message from HP update to download a file that would fix update problems.  I downloaded it, and it failed to.  I don't know what to do.  I've been wondering if upgrading to Windows 7 will help, but I am reluctant because maybe that is their plan.  :)

SJ
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:41 PM
  • i'm sorry to hear you're having such problems, too.  it is very frustrating.  I am reluctant to upgrade, also. 

i'm also ticked that no further help has come here, and that i've had no reply to my same email to the microsoft help desk, despite their claim they'd get back w/i 24 hrs.

sigh. i REALLY wanted a Mac, but Santa brought me the HP.

kathy
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Kathy and others with this issue.

Checking the proxy is a good thing, there is no need to have a proxy setting unless your in some company network wich have this policy.
    So i gues if your not in this types of network, and you have internet, you dont have proxy settings.  to check this:
    Click start, control panel, internet options, connections, LAN settings. uncheck all boxes.

To install a major update like a servicepack you need to be sure the date/time right below on your screen is OK. if it has a wrong date or time it can fail.

After that i want to give you a TIP:
    Using programs like pitstop of ccleaner that check the register and clean the register is a bad thing if you don't know what your doing.
    If a registercleaner removes registerkeys it can cause a lot of update problems, like this one to. For example: a registerkey is not used atm. so the program things the key can be deleted. But the key is standard in windows and has a role in a later update. So that update can't be installed because earlier the key wasn't inuse and deleted.    Your register is changing often by updates and installing programs wich makes it impossible for a registercleaner to know what can be deleted or not.

To solve the problem you can try the folowing.

1. delete security software,
    2. Reset your internet options, Click, start, control panel, internet options, advanced, reset. also your personal settings.
    3. Download the update manually to your desktop: SP2:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=891ab806-2431-4d00-afa3-99ff6f22448d
    4. Download to your desktop and run the WUFIXVISTA toolkit: http://tinyurl.com/WuFixVista15 
    5. Make sure that all useless services are off by going to cleanboot: might cause your internet connection to be unable temporarily.
    Click start, typ in: msconfig   press enter.
    Click on diagnostic startup and press OK. Restart your system.
    6. Click start, typ cmd rightclick on the icon cmd and choose run as admin. The a black box comes up. typ: sfc /scannow  press enter. wait untill its done.
    7. Install the previous downloaded installation package of Servicepack 2.   it should work now.
    8. Go to the msconfig menu and choose normal startup. the restart and install a security package.

hope this will solve the problem

• Proposed as answer by Nick12308 Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:19 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:19 AM
  • Thank you for your advice.  My son was able to install SP2 in early january. 

I am wondering, however, why it took so long to have anyone answer.  Is this a Microsoft board, or are you a volunteer?

thanks!

kathy
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:20 PM
  • This forum is for anybody to react. Im not a volunteer i was just looking around for another problem and found this like the most of us here do.I think the Microsoft agents are waiting for the MVP's and other forumgeeks to awnser first.  That will make their workload easier. Kinda logical. But i don't know it for sure, its just a logical explanation.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:13 AM