none
Windows 7 can't see Windows XP partition

Question

• Hi
     I have installed Windows 7 on a new partition I created. While I still have Windows XP on another partition. I have dual boot now and I can choose which OS to boot. But when I enter Windows 7, I can't see the WindowsXP partition, and the drives letters have been changed too. The partition where windowsXP is installed does not exist under Windows7 OS. But under WindowsXP OS I can see all partition even Windows7 partition. What's wrong?
    Thanks for ur help.
    • Moved by OthorvathMVP, Moderator Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:21 PM (Moved from Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment to Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:05 PM

Answers

• In Windows 7 run diskmgmt.msc or bring up Computer Management->Disk Management from Control Panel.  You can then graphically see what drive letter are assigned to which partitions.  If the XP partition does not have a drive letter in Windows 7 you can assign one through this interface.

Note that drive letters are specific to the instance of the OS that you are running.  If instead of booting to the Windows 7 DVD you had launched Setup while running Windows XP, Windows 7 Setup would have attempted to maintain the drive letter mapping from your Windows XP system even if you had selected the "Clean Install" option.

Thanks.
    -Adrian

• Proposed as answer by Stephen Lodwick [MSFT] Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by A_Ragab Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:41 PM

All replies

• In Windows 7 run diskmgmt.msc or bring up Computer Management->Disk Management from Control Panel.  You can then graphically see what drive letter are assigned to which partitions.  If the XP partition does not have a drive letter in Windows 7 you can assign one through this interface.

Note that drive letters are specific to the instance of the OS that you are running.  If instead of booting to the Windows 7 DVD you had launched Setup while running Windows XP, Windows 7 Setup would have attempted to maintain the drive letter mapping from your Windows XP system even if you had selected the "Clean Install" option.

Thanks.
    -Adrian

• Proposed as answer by Stephen Lodwick [MSFT] Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by A_Ragab Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:41 PM
  • Thank you very much Adrian
    I made what u said, and now I see WindowsXP partition.
    Just something I wanna understand. The hidden WindowsXP partition is NORMAL after installing Windows7, or I did something wrong while creating the new partition for Windows7, or installing it ??
    Thank u
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:13 PM
  • It did the same thing on mine.  I installed Windows 7 to the second partition on the drive and the first partition with my Windows Vista install did not show up.  I had to use disk management to assign it a drive letter.

I don't know if this behavior is preferred or if it's a glitch.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:19 PM
  • I had the same problem too, but with Windows Vista, from Windows 7 I couldn't see my Vista partition, but I saw WinRE instead. I just assigned a drive letter from disk management and that worked.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:28 PM
  • ok.. I now have a similar problem with Win 7 (RTM edition) as follows:

I have SATA1 drive 500gb: 1 Primary, and 5 logical or whatever you call that. Of these, I only see 3 (2 are unassigned letters, and when I try to get there, I get the error "The operation failed to complete because the disk managment console view is not up-to-date. Refresh view by................" (obviously this doesnt work).

I also have the new SATA2 1TB hdd split into 4 partitions (one of them is the OS ones) as well as Disk0 which is older 120gb U-ATA hdd.

Obviously I mean the two rightmost partitions from Disk1.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
    Friday, October 16, 2009 1:19 AM