none
Windows Media Player Won't Play .mp4 when it once did and other players will

Question

• Hi All,

I have .mp4 files which I received off a mate. It was working fine on Windows Media Player (I have WMP12 and windows 7 home premium) and I had it on my external hard drive. I was half way through watching it (Was watching it through my PS3 using media player as a media library) . Then my house mate disconnected the hard drive while I was away. I have then come back and every .mp4 file within that folder will not play on WMP (They worked before and still work on other players). Whenever I try playing it I get "http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows7/c00d11b" . I have deleted the files (Thinking they were now corrupt) and put them in the same folder and still won't play. Anyone have any help with this problem? I really don't want to change players but might have to.

Cheers, Nic

Friday, August 30, 2013 1:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Nic,

Please try the following methods to solve this issue:

Method 1: Run Windows Media Player settings troubleshooter.

For your information, please refer to this article Open the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/open-the-windows-media-player-settings-troubleshooter.

Method 2: Turn Windows features on or off

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Programs, and then click Programs and features.
    3. Click Turn Windows features on or off in the left pane.
    4. Expand Media Features, and uncheck Windows Media Player.
    5. Click Yes to continue, and click OK to quit.
    6. Open Turn Windows features on or off again, and check Windows Media Player.
    7. Click Yes to continue, and click OK to quit.

For your information, please review this article Turn Windows features on or off to learn more about how to turn Windows features on or off.

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Friday, August 30, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Type msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerConfigurationDiagnostic in Start Search and hit Enter to open the troubleshooting wizard which will help you reset WMP to default settings.

You could also use the Fix WMP Utility from thewindowsclub, which re-registers all concerned dll’s required for the smooth functioning of Windows Media Player.

Or,You may reset WMP12 AS SUGGESTED BY Lany Zhang.

S.Sengupta Media Center MVP

Saturday, August 31, 2013 1:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Nic,

Please try the following methods to solve this issue:

Method 1: Run Windows Media Player settings troubleshooter.

For your information, please refer to this article Open the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/open-the-windows-media-player-settings-troubleshooter.

Method 2: Turn Windows features on or off

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Programs, and then click Programs and features.
    3. Click Turn Windows features on or off in the left pane.
    4. Expand Media Features, and uncheck Windows Media Player.
    5. Click Yes to continue, and click OK to quit.
    6. Open Turn Windows features on or off again, and check Windows Media Player.
    7. Click Yes to continue, and click OK to quit.

For your information, please review this article Turn Windows features on or off to learn more about how to turn Windows features on or off.

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Friday, August 30, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Type msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerConfigurationDiagnostic in Start Search and hit Enter to open the troubleshooting wizard which will help you reset WMP to default settings.

You could also use the Fix WMP Utility from thewindowsclub, which re-registers all concerned dll’s required for the smooth functioning of Windows Media Player.

Or,You may reset WMP12 AS SUGGESTED BY Lany Zhang.

S.Sengupta Media Center MVP

Saturday, August 31, 2013 1:31 AM