none
Streaming Win7 desktop or URL to DLNA TV

Question

• I've seen various reports that it is possible to configure DLNA/upnp servers for Win such as TVersity and VC to stream a live windows desktop to a DLNA-capable TV (i.e. on that supports DMR). Based on what I read, the configurations don't seem to work consistently and seem a bit complicated. Can anyone here with experience with this comment on: (1) what server are you using and how well does it work over a 802.11n wireless lan (2) can any Microsoft streaming products achieve this? (3) is it possible to stream urls to a DNLA TV with any Win7 software that doesn't require complex configuration?  (this would be similar to some of the higher-end Samsung SmartTVs that have built-in web-browser capability).

www.jensign.com
    Monday, September 12, 2011 1:32 PM

Answers

• Here is the response I received:

"They confirm that they don't know of any way to do this.  Another thing to
    consider - even if you could do this - PlayTo is really set up for streaming and
    not a "wireless cable replacement".  It would probably lag a bit as a result and
    not be a real time replication of your desktop to your remote display like a lot
    of people are looking for when they inquire about this scenario."

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:58:42 +0000, Jensigner wrote:

>
    >
    >thanks Barb. I'll wait a couple of weeks for futher responses before marking this as answered.
    >
    >
    >www.jensign.com

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

• Marked as answer by Jensigner Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:09 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:15 PM

All replies

• I know exactly what you are trying to do. The short answer is "not really". My
    solution was the Intel WiDi (wireless display) and Netgear Push2TV.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 13:32:29 +0000, Jensigner wrote:

>
    >
    >I've seen various reports that it is possible to configure DLNA/upnp servers for Win such as TVersity and VC to stream a live windows desktop to a DLNA-capable TV (i.e. on that supports DMR). Based on what I read, the configurations don't seem to work consistently and seem a bit complicated. Can anyone here with experience with this comment on: (1) what server are you using and how well does it work over a 802.11n wireless lan (2) can any Microsoft streaming products achieve this? (3) is it possible to stream urls to a DNLA TV with any Win7 software that doesn't require complex configuration?  (this would be similar to some of the higher-end Samsung SmartTVs that have built-in web-browser capability).
    >www.jensign.com

Barb Bowman

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:29 AM
  • Thanks Barb. Anyone else with experience in this, particularly with streaming software?

www.jensign.com
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:13 PM
  • We cannot recommend any third party of streaming software because we cannot ensure these kind of program will cause unexpected issue to Windows 7.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:04 AM
  • Thank you. What about a Microsoft streaming product such as Expression Encore 4? I have heard one comment that this can act as a DLNA server for streaming a live Win desktop. Is this true and if so, are there any DNLA TVs that can "pull" and display this type of video stream?

www.jensign.com
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Email has been sent to the Play To team to see if they have anything to add on
    this topic. I will let you know..

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:00:35 +0000, Jensigner wrote:

>
    >
    >Thank you. What about a Microsoft streaming product such as Expression Encore 4? I have heard one comment that this can act as a DLNA server for streaming a live Win desktop. Is this true and if so, are there any DNLA TVs that can "pull" and display this type of video stream?
    >
    >
    >www.jensign.com

Barb Bowman

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:18 PM
  • thanks Barb. I'll wait a couple of weeks for futher responses before marking this as answered.

www.jensign.com
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Here is the response I received:

"They confirm that they don't know of any way to do this.  Another thing to
    consider - even if you could do this - PlayTo is really set up for streaming and
    not a "wireless cable replacement".  It would probably lag a bit as a result and
    not be a real time replication of your desktop to your remote display like a lot
    of people are looking for when they inquire about this scenario."

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:58:42 +0000, Jensigner wrote:

>
    >
    >thanks Barb. I'll wait a couple of weeks for futher responses before marking this as answered.
    >
    >
    >www.jensign.com

Barb Bowman

• Marked as answer by Jensigner Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:09 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Hi

I have been looking for the same solution for days without any luck. I want to stream/share my desktop with my LG LCD TV (which is connected to a LG Smart TV upgrader) using DLNA. I want to be able to play 4od, ITV player and other streams. I'm not bothered it its not in real time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• Edited by Peter Tailor Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:16 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:14 PM
  • In the course of looking into this a few months ago, I wrote a small C# application for Windows called "OneShot" which facilitates easily taking multiple "snapshots" of the windows desktop and organizing/sizing them for quick-launch to the Win7 DMC PlayTo window. So this obviously isn't streaming a live desktop, but it might come in handy if you have anything on your desktop, web pages or any document open that you want to easily "push up" onto your DLNA-capable TV as high-quality jpg images:  http://www.jensign.com/OneShot

www.jensign.com
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:09 PM
  • If anyone has a solution to my above post... please advise. many thanks
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:30 PM
  • please please please help...
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:36 PM
  • You cannot use DLNA to stream your "desktop".  This isn't a function of DLNA.
    Herre is a comparison of some technologies that might help:

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 21:14:50 +0000, Peter Tailor wrote:

>
    >
    >Hi
    >
    >I have been looking for the same solution for days without any luck. I want to stream/share my desktop with my LG LCD TV (which is connected to a LG Smart TV upgrader) using DLNA. I want to be able to play 4od, ITV player and other streams. I'm not bothered it its not in real time. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks in advance

Barb Bowman

Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:14 AM
  • Streaming your desktop to your Smart TV

Some people on the web say it is possible and have seen it. I actually came across a DLNA server that had a Plugin Web Browser and was reading about it.

Here is an article I am looking at, that I pulled along with this search results landing me here. This guy says he wrote Scripts to stream your desktop to your Smart TV using Linux. Being a Tech, I explorer all OS backgrounds. I love Linux, even though I use windows a lot. Linux seems to amaze me all the time, cause I find all kinds of ways to engineer Software situations when I need something done.

http://realmike.org/blog/2011/02/09/live-desktop-streaming-via-dlna-on-gnulinux/

Les - 

• Edited by Netverse Sunday, September 08, 2013 12:41 AM typo fix
    Sunday, September 08, 2013 12:36 AM
  • Although not Windows specific, a technology that works beautifully is Samsung's "Screen Mirroring" technology which allows me to wirelessly display anything that my Galaxy S4 smartphone is displaying to my HD TV. This is not DLNA of course but a Wi-Fi direct technology and the HDTV must support Samsung's "AllShare Cast".  My 51" HD TV doesn't support that but Samsung sells a tiny AllShare Cast Wireless Hub device which connects to any HDMI TV/monitor to gives that functionality.  The screen mirroring is very fast and responsive for viewing images, web-pages, emails, ppt and pdf documents on my big screen. Scrolling and zooming and screen rotation are essentially instantaneous.  That is exactly the type of thing I'd like to see, but  mirroring my Win7 laptop screen. Everyone I show this too is amazed at how easy it is to use and intuitive

www.jensign.com

Sunday, September 08, 2013 2:11 PM
  • I am developing a DLNA server which will complete in 2 weeks time and I have this functionality. The downside is that there is a little bit of lag. To make that invisible I have to employ Apple's strategy(that is stop showing the streaming on the desktop)
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:27 AM
  • true to form Microsoft response, nothing but "not my problem" reply... 
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:04 PM
  • bascp, did you find the time to complete your server?
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:32 AM
  • Although this is an old post, Actually that's incorrect. DLNA supports live streams which would be perfect for this.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:07 PM