none
How to use my Gmail as my Microsoft Account?

Question

• This issues sounds strikingly familiar to some other issues where people have been having trouble adding their Gmail to the Microsoft account but I want to actually use my gmail address AS the login. For example I want to be able to go to any microsoft website or service and use "(username)@gmail.com" rather than "(username)@hotmail.com".

Problem is that when I go to create a Microsoft account is says that it's already in use but I don't recall creating so when I go to reset my password it says that it's not a Microsoft account". WTF?!?

Monday, December 31, 2012 10:48 PM

Answers

• I just went to my Win 8 Pro computer which I have been using the Local Account on for login. I have created a MS account to test some things out but went back to Local Account.

After reading this I went to Win 8, change PC settings, Users and created a MS Account with my Gmail address. When it stated to enter password reset I put in the same password that I had been using, didn�??t change anything.  I then had to go to the Gmail account on the web and acknowledge that is what I was doing, confirming. I then went back and logged out and when I logged back in it was my Gmail address and password.

You might look at Control Panel/Credential Manager/Windows Credentials/Generic Credentials and see what is there as far as Windows Live-user. It will list the accounts, maybe you will see the account/login that is giving the problem. You can also edit/delete them from there.

I don�??t know if that will get you what you want but when I was logged into my Gmail account I went to games, clicked on one, it installed and then created a gamer tag account for me.

Don
    Wednesday, January 02, 2013 1:14 AM

All replies

• Interesting, I have configured Gmail account as my user account in W 8 and have had no problém.

For MS forum I use quite different account assigned by my ISP, but e-mail for communication is Gmail account.

Rgds

Milos

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 10:03 PM
  • I just went to my Win 8 Pro computer which I have been using the Local Account on for login. I have created a MS account to test some things out but went back to Local Account.

After reading this I went to Win 8, change PC settings, Users and created a MS Account with my Gmail address. When it stated to enter password reset I put in the same password that I had been using, didn�??t change anything.  I then had to go to the Gmail account on the web and acknowledge that is what I was doing, confirming. I then went back and logged out and when I logged back in it was my Gmail address and password.

You might look at Control Panel/Credential Manager/Windows Credentials/Generic Credentials and see what is there as far as Windows Live-user. It will list the accounts, maybe you will see the account/login that is giving the problem. You can also edit/delete them from there.

I don�??t know if that will get you what you want but when I was logged into my Gmail account I went to games, clicked on one, it installed and then created a gamer tag account for me.

Don
    Wednesday, January 02, 2013 1:14 AM
  • Dude, THANK YOU!! I went to credentials. I saw 2 emails in use, 1 hotmail and 1 gmail. I deleted the hotmail, requested a new confirmation email for my gmail, went to gmail, confirmed and VOILA!

Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:05 AM