none
Windows 7 Media Center -Downloading TV Setup Data - Download failure

Question

• I recently installed Windows 7 RC1 and when I tried to set up the Media Center - everything goes well until it gets to TV SETUP.
    At DOWNLOADING TV SETUP DATA - I am getting an error DOWNLOAD FAILURE The new TV setup could not be downloaded. Any existing, if available will be used as you continue through TV signal setup.

Then I hit the OK button and get the error DOWNLOADABLE GUIDE NOT AVAILABLE.

Needless to say - due to these error - the LIVE TV and RECORDED TV part of the media center is pretty much worthless.

Does anybody know of a fix for this?  

Sunday, July 19, 2009 2:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm having the exact same problem. Just wondering if you have found a fix. Thanks!
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:55 PM
  • The problem was resolved with the installation of the retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium.
    • Marked as answer by Pauliw25 Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:02 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:02 PM
  • I am also having this exact same problem, and I cannot find a solution anywhere.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 7:38 PM
  • Hi, Monty.
    This should fix you:

How to reset Windows 7 EPG database
    (useful for "Guide data cannot be downloaded" or "TV Setup cannot continue" errors):
    http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/09/clearing-guide-data-and-tuner-setup-from-windows-7-media-center.html
    Note:  this resets Media Center TV functions to a virgin state, and requires TV Setup to be re-run.

HTH,
    Chris

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 9:22 PM
  • Here is a possible solution. It worked for me.

0. Grant temporarily "full access" to the RSA directory (C:\Program
    Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA)

1. temporarily rename the MachineKeys directory to MachineKeysOld

2. create a new directory MachineKeys

3. run the tv/guide setup in Media Center

4. if step 3 was succesful, copy the newly generated key from the new
    MachineKeys directory to the MachineKeysOld directory. It may happen that the
    very same key already exists and can't be replaced, even by an administrator.
    In that case manual appropriation of the file is required.

5. Remove the new directory MachineKeys

6. Rename MachineKeysOld back to MachineKeys.

7. Restore the initial permissions of "Everyone" for the RSA directory.

Saturday, November 28, 2009 7:32 PM