none
automatic log-out in Windows 7 64 bit

Question

• Hello,

I have a strange issue: if I left the computer unattended for about 1 hour I find a log-in screen when I'm back.
    I put the log-in credentials and all my programs are closed. So, Windows 7 is making an automatic log-off! 

Can I change this behaviour, because in "Power Options" in Control Panel I can't find anything related, nor in "User  Accounts"?

I don't have any active screensaver.
    In fact, the screen remains lit, only the session is over (as all the open programs).

I use Windows 7 beta 64 bit with the latest updates.

Thanks,

Robert

PS I want to add that I found that Windows 7 is doing a restart not a log-off. I don't think this is a BIOS issue because on the same system (but on another HDD) I have a working Windows XP.

• Edited by Robert G. _ Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:22 PM update
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 12:32 PM

Answers

• It sounds like you are bugchecking (the so-called 'blue screen of death').

Take a look at your Reliability Monitor (just type that in the Start menu search bar or in the Control Panel search bar). You can also look in the Event Viewer, in the System event log - it will bemarked unexpected shutdown.
    Ned Pyle [MSFT] - MS Enterprise Platforms Support - Beta Team
    • Marked as answer by Robert G. _ Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:07 AM
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 2:07 AM

All replies

• It sounds like you are bugchecking (the so-called 'blue screen of death').

Take a look at your Reliability Monitor (just type that in the Start menu search bar or in the Control Panel search bar). You can also look in the Event Viewer, in the System event log - it will bemarked unexpected shutdown.
    • Marked as answer by Robert G. _ Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:07 AM
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 2:07 AM
  • Thank You very much, in fact after I "spied" my Windows, it has a BSOD about IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL for a couple of seconds before restarting.

So, You have been right.

I will serch for the reason.
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:11 AM
  • There is a pretty common bugcheck error in the beta right now for people using:

- Win7 build 7000
    - Third party anti-virus software
    - Samba shares

Do you have a linux or mac computer you are connecting to running Samba, or an off-the-shelf "network drive in a box" device?

We have a hotfix coming out soon for this, btw.
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:33 PM
  •  Thank You again for your answer. I opened a new topic here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/3ae73b7a-2967-470c-acbc-c6decedc8add

because I believed it's a hardware compatiblity issue.

I don't use Samba, in fact this Windows 7 is all alone on a HDD, I choose in BIOS which HDD to boot. No "network drive in a box", either.

But I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus 8.0 for Windows Workstations, the trial edition for Windows 7, suggested by Microsoft.

Monday, February 23, 2009 7:59 AM