none
Initial Setup always fails (Windows Virtual PC > Windows XP Mode): "Could not complete Setup..."

Question

• I've done this numerous times in the past and never had this problem before.

Now, it happens every time on this install, even after I've repeatedly re-installed Windows (clean install each time, Win7 Pro 64bit).

I've done everything by the book.

o   Windows Updates are all "Up to date" and numerous reboots to complete installs since last update (including IE9)

o   Postponed installing Anti-Virus (on clean Win7 install) in case that's the problem (but it fails either way).  Only firewall is MS.

o   Downloaded & installed Windows XP Mode "successfully" (took hours to download while everything else is fast).

o   Downloaded & Installed Windows Virtual PC "successfully".

o   Ran ... Start > Windows Virtual PC > Windows XP Mode > etc.

It displays "Setting up Windows XP Mode for first use ..." for about 10-15 minutes as the green bar gradually fills to the end.

Then it displays the error-message "Could not complete Setup.  Please try again."

No explanation why.

If I hit [Shift]+[Esc] just before that error-message (as I've seen the MS staff request), a totally empty "Windows XP Mode - Windows Virtual PC" window opens up ... like a dead Virtual PC. 

I've tried the options to "Sleep" & "Awake" it but they have no effect.

When I click [X] to close that window, it gets stuck forever "Hibernating the virtual machine ..." (or attempting to).

OS:  64bit Windows 7 Professional, with all available Windows Updates (including IE9)

MB:  Asus Crosshair V Formula (latest BIOS: 1003)

CPU:  AMD FX 8150 8-Core 3.6 GHz AM3+

RAM:  2x4G (8G) Corsair Dominator-GT DDR3

Video:  AMD Radeon (Gigabyte) HD 6950 1GB GDDR5

Boot: OCZ RevoDrive 3 (PCIe)

Other:  240 GB SSD

Other:  745 GB Raid 0 array, Seagate HDs (2x378G)

(Please don't ask me to do those things I've already done, as described above.)

Where can I look or what can I do to see WHY this is happening?

Thanks.

Monday, January 02, 2012 8:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• What happens if you create a new VM and boot it, do you get the blank screen or the "no system disk" error message?

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 9:57 PM
  • The answers are here :

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/933b7787-2bbb-43fe-8fe8-8239a682a8bf

It seems to be a problem with the 'Bulldozer' processors ... The AMD FX 8-core series.

They are a new archetecture and XP Mode (among, I suspect, other things) is incompatible with it.

MS is working on a fix ... but check that other thread.  That's where the news is showing up.

Jim
    Monday, January 09, 2012 8:44 AM
  • Happened to me on an Intel Core i5-2500K first try.  Exactly as described.  Install took a good 10-15 minutes then failed. Second try it finished without error after less than 5minutes.
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:01 AM
  • Pagan Mutant I too have a new custom built computer with a similar set up. 

AMD FX bulldozer 8 core processor

ASUS G skill mother board 

2 x 2 4 gig RAM ddr 3 = 8 gigs of ram.

WD 1 terabyte hard drive C:

Segate 250 gig Hard drive F:

Windows 7 pro with all the updates , etc

Tried the same thing, last week even took my new computer back to the shop that built it and they had the same issues after a clean reinstall of the O/S. Found out that it is a compatibility issues with MS and the newest AMD processors running over 4 cores. When the heck will MS get the clue. Tried installing a full version of XP pro onto my 250 gig hard drive and it failed to install as well. :( hmm. 

• Proposed as answer by ctmaster08 Thursday, March 01, 2012 3:21 PM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Happened to me on an Intel Core i5-2500K first try.  Exactly as described.  Install took a good 10-15 minutes then failed. Second try it finished without error after less than 5minutes.

This should fix things: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2519949

Jim

Saturday, March 03, 2012 2:33 AM
  • Pagan Mutant I too have a new custom built computer with a similar set up. 

AMD FX bulldozer 8 core processor

ASUS G skill mother board 

2 x 2 4 gig RAM ddr 3 = 8 gigs of ram.

WD 1 terabyte hard drive C:

Segate 250 gig Hard drive F:

Windows 7 pro with all the updates , etc

Tried the same thing, last week even took my new computer back to the shop that built it and they had the same issues after a clean reinstall of the O/S. Found out that it is a compatibility issues with MS and the newest AMD processors running over 4 cores. When the heck will MS get the clue. Tried installing a full version of XP pro onto my 250 gig hard drive and it failed to install as well. :( hmm. 

This should fix things: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2519949

Jim

Saturday, March 03, 2012 2:34 AM