none
Windows Library Says Folder Isn't Indexed But It Is

Question

• I have read all the posts complaining about not being able to add a folder because it isn't indexed. So I downloaded and installed Windows Search 4.0 on the server machine. It indexed My Documents, which contains the music folder I'm sharing. But the client still says it can't add the folder because it isn't indexed.

What mechanism does the client use to determine whether the folder is indexed or not? I have the folder shared as read-only, so I can't index it via a loopback URN, e.g., \\server-name\share-name.

What am I doing wrong? Why isn't there better technical information about how this thing works, so we can figure it out ourselves?

This is a very common problem, and making the folder available offline is absolutely ridiculous. If I wanted all that data stored on my client machine, I would have stored it there in the first place, for crying out loud. What does Microsoft think a network is for, anyway?

Karl Uppiano

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:33 AM

Answers

• You can also add something to the index without using libraries. To add or remove an index location:

1. Open Indexing Options by clicking the Start button  and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type indexing options, and then click Indexing Options.

2. Click Modify.

3. To add or remove a location, select or clear its check box in the Change selected locations list, and then click OK.

If you don't see all locations on your computer in the list, click Show all locations. (If all locations are listed, Show all locations won't be available.) If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If you want to include a folder but not all of its subfolders, click the folder, and then clear the check box next to any subfolder that you don't want to index. These folders will appear in the Exclude column of the Summary of selected locations list.

• Proposed as answer by yun24 Monday, March 04, 2013 2:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Friday, March 15, 2013 1:50 AM
    Monday, March 04, 2013 2:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Appreciate your patience.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:36 AM
  • You can also add something to the index without using libraries. To add or remove an index location:

1. Open Indexing Options by clicking the Start button  and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type indexing options, and then click Indexing Options.

2. Click Modify.

3. To add or remove a location, select or clear its check box in the Change selected locations list, and then click OK.

If you don't see all locations on your computer in the list, click Show all locations. (If all locations are listed, Show all locations won't be available.) If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If you want to include a folder but not all of its subfolders, click the folder, and then clear the check box next to any subfolder that you don't want to index. These folders will appear in the Exclude column of the Summary of selected locations list.

• Proposed as answer by yun24 Monday, March 04, 2013 2:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Friday, March 15, 2013 1:50 AM
    Monday, March 04, 2013 2:15 AM
  • Any update to the current siaution?

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 1:54 AM