none
Can't click taskbar on startup windows 7

Question

• Hello, i am having a problem with windows 7.  I just recently upgraded from windows vista ultimate to windows 7 home premium.  Every time i start my computer i can't click or right click the taskbar or any open window.  I have to hit ctrl-alt-delete to open the task manager and thats the only thing that gets it working again.  I don't have any viruses or spyware, ive done /sfc scannnow and checked the hard disk for errors and it still happens.  Does anyone have a solution??? i seriously don't know what to do now.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 2:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Generally this will happen when a 3rd party application is interfering.
    Try running msconfig:

- Run a clean startup on the "services". Ensure only microsoft services are loading during your testing
    - Run a clean startup on the "start up" tab and disable everything while testing

Reboot after this is complete and see if you have the same issue
    If it disappears, you can try an isolate which particular services or application is causing the issue

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Monday, May 17, 2010 6:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:10 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 5:13 AM
  • Hi Deep_chunk,

I agree with Kris that this issue can be related to third party software or services. You can try the following suggestions and see if the issue can be resolved:

1. Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3. Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

4. Click Next and click Finnish.

5. Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

7. Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

8. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Also, access Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue still exists, create a new user account and see if the issue occurs.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, May 17, 2010 6:25 AM

All replies

• I'm sure someone has heard of this before?

Please help

Friday, May 14, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Hi,

Generally this will happen when a 3rd party application is interfering.
    Try running msconfig:

- Run a clean startup on the "services". Ensure only microsoft services are loading during your testing
    - Run a clean startup on the "start up" tab and disable everything while testing

Reboot after this is complete and see if you have the same issue
    If it disappears, you can try an isolate which particular services or application is causing the issue

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Monday, May 17, 2010 6:24 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 5:13 AM
  • Hi Deep_chunk,

I agree with Kris that this issue can be related to third party software or services. You can try the following suggestions and see if the issue can be resolved:

1. Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3. Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

5. Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

Also, access Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue still exists, create a new user account and see if the issue occurs.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, May 17, 2010 6:25 AM
  • Hi Deep_chunk,

Regards,

Linda

I also am experiencing this issue. I have followed all of the suggestions above and none have resolved the issue.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try, please?

Thanks

John

Sunday, February 27, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Iam experiencing the same issue.

The system was freshly installed.

For me it does not happen every single time so it is pretty hard to "debug" this issue by turning off services or other things.

Is there anybody who found the cause of this issue so far?

• Proposed as answer by Madali1701 Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Madali1701 Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:38 AM
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 6:43 PM
  • I have the same problem and it is not related to 3rd party apps.

This started happening maybe a month ago where randomly you can't click the task bar or title bar. The only workaround is to ctrl+alt+del and then cancel (it seems to take a 2nd click before cancel responds).

I say it isn't related to 3rd party apps because I've just done a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and just installed the WIndows update and the same problem happens

Thursday, February 09, 2012 7:40 AM
  • same exact problem here.  This is a dell latitude e5400.  user reported they couldn't click on anything.  first thought was the touchpad was going bad.  not the case.  i have already reimaged this latop with the same image that is on this same model all over this site, and no other machines have this problem.  control+alt+delete then cancel brings back all functionaltiy.  im putting in an order to have the hard drive/motherboard replaced and then i'll reimage it again.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:54 PM
  • For me it ended up being a wireless mouse. Everything worked but the clicking.

If I boot without the wireless mouse receiver plugged into the usb,

the problem goes away (using another mouse to test). The second I plug in the mouse receiver back in, the problem came back.

I'm sure this can happen with any usb device but the mouse would be my first suspect. Maybe in it's early stages of failure.

You will need a second mouse to run this test.. good luck!

• Proposed as answer by Smallll Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:53 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Just tested the mouse thing and when I think back I wasted my wireless mouse with liquids ... Still worked, but the issue started then.

New mouse / Old mouse, just not the broken mouse ...

Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:53 PM
  • I had the exact same problem and it turned out to be my wireless Logitech mouse. As soon as I plugged in the receiver and turned it on, some programs were fine but no mouseover or clicks registered on the taskbar, including clicks with my touchpad. I have to reboot Windows 7 with the mouse detacted to regain use of the taskbar.

It was pretty easy for me to guess it was the mouse since I'd just dropped it on a tile floor 10 minutes before...

Saturday, June 02, 2012 1:11 PM
  • Well, I had a similar problem but mine would only stop working if i opened a browser (specifically Chrome). The moment i would close this, it would continue to function as normal. I ran a clean startup and yet chrome hung the taskbar. I wasnt even able to use IE9 as it had a similar effect on the taskbar.

So i got rid of chrome and now everything is back to normal. I am now posting this reply via IE9 with no problems at all...

Hope this works for you guys too.

P.S. I know how frustrating it gets.

Cheers

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:47 AM
  • Hi Guys,

In case this hasn't been resolved, I have also been experiencing the same symptoms. However sometimes in reverse. At times I can control a window and not the taskbar, and at times I can only control the taskbar, but when I click on a window, the focus seems to go elsewhere.

I have experienced this on two different machines now, all different OS (Windows 8, 7). The only common factor I can think of is the Razer Software to drive the mouse.

My ex-colleague has experienced similar symptoms with his razer mouse, as well.

Friday, November 23, 2012 10:09 AM
  • I had the exact same problem.  After a fresh boot I couldn't click on the taskbar, although I could click on the desktop.  After pressing ctr-alt-del magically everything worked again.  I am running W7 ultimate 64.

I tried tons of stuff even reinstalling windows from scratch 2 times.  As with other folks, it turned out to be a bad MOUSE.  It doesn't seem like a mouse should be able to have this effect because the mouse still technically works, clicking and movement are fine.  However it has something to do with the windows driver putting the screen into a bad state during fresh boot.  I've read folks complaining about USB mice doing this, but in my case it was a PS/2 mouse.   Hopefully anyone who reads this can try switching mice, I wish i would have found this page earlier and not spent so much time troubleshooting the windows image!

Tony

Friday, August 23, 2013 4:27 AM
  • I have the same problem on a Lenovo 420s running Windows 7 and it has existed since the day the machine arrived from the factory.  I have reinstalled Windows 7 two times and when the hard drive died, I did it again with the new hard drive. 

It has nothing to do with a mouse as I do not use one.

Whenever I unplug the machine while it is running and run on battery power for 10 seconds or for an hour, when I plug it in again, the power meter blinks at me quickly and I cannot access the taskbar, although I can use Alt-Tab to cycle through the apps.  If I log off or reboot, everything is OK, except that even though the taskbar is locked, the arrangement of the open instances of apps has changed from what I had previously.  To fix this, I have to unlock the taskbar, rearrange them as I want them, and then relock the taskbar.  Then, everything is OK.

Suggestions?

The solutions above address other problems although the symptoms are similar.

• Edited by Anonymousr Saturday, December 28, 2013 5:49 AM
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 5:47 AM
  • Everything was good, then the left mouse button stopped working. Could not click on taskbar, within active window. I could sometimes right click to bring up a menu but no good. I have the Logitech G500, no installed Logitech gaming mouse software installed. I switch to two others mice with no luck. I then reinstalled Windows 7. Still no luck. Is it a shell issue? What could be corrupted?
    Sunday, January 19, 2014 11:30 PM
  • I had the same issue with my mouse. After backing up my drive and going through a clean install of Windows it had the same issue. I then noticed one of the little thumb buttons that I never use was stuck in the pressed position, jammed behind the casing. Took a small tool and popped it out. Problem solved! Now I get to reinstall all my programs and import my data. -facepalm-
    Monday, January 27, 2014 7:17 PM
  • I have the same problem on a Lenovo 420s running Windows 7 and it has existed since the day the machine arrived from the factory.  I have reinstalled Windows 7 two times and when the hard drive died, I did it again with the new hard drive. 

I have the same problem on a brand new, out of the box Toshiba laptop. It has nothing to do with third party drivers or services, and I have seen the same issue on desktops. This laptop has been clean installed twice now and the problem occurs even before any drivers are installed.

For me the problem disappears if I hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and then press Esc. I have noted other people on other forums suggesting the same trick.

While this is a workaround the issue remains: I cannot click on the Start Menu or taskbar after the machine has booted. And from what I have described above, and seen elsewhere, it is a Windows problem, however hard that is for people to swallow on a Microsoft web site.

Regards

Friday, January 31, 2014 11:04 AM
  • I've spend an evening investigating same type of problem and found the solution. 

It was hardware related! You wouldnt beleive it :)

The core of a problem was that an additional "back" button of my external mouse was stuck!

If it so, you got this odd behaviour:
    - mouse in Windows works some times and some times not. 
    - ctrl-alt-del, esc - fixes problem for some time in Windows. 
    - drivers reinstallation - fixes problem for some time too. 

And its really hard to get why... 

To see that kind of behaivour - just hold down a Back\Forward button on your mouse and try to click around. :)

ps: if your hardware is ok, I beleive some times it's could be a software glitch of same kind (sending KeyPressed state for Back\Forware\etc). 

pps: To Windows team: it would be good to have some warning\indication in Windows for this rare, but realy nasty case (because when you encounter it, it's really looks like there is a huge bug in Windows)

ppps: Actually I started investigation, because I've thought that my Sublime Text was dead (for some apps like it, the "ctrl-alt-del",esc workaround won't help. so that's a really nasty UX glitch:) details here:  http://sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/29127-mouse-stopped-working-cant-click-on-text-in-build-2051-on-ubuntu-1010-x64/

Thanks. Hope that saves someones day :)

Sunday, February 02, 2014 3:06 AM