none
How can I add lyrics to media (mp3, wma, etc.) files?

Question

• Is there any possibility to add lyrics in media files (mp3, wma, etc.) in Windows 7? I didn't get it

Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:54 PM

Answers

• harakternik,

Aside from the old trick of dumping the entirety of the song's lyrics into the comments block of its ID3 tag (accessible by right-clicking the file in Windows Explorer and opening the Properties menu, then navigating to the Details tab), .mp3 files et al. are not able to carry this information. iTunes does exactly this using special formatting, which is how lyrics are able to be read within that software, but this feature is not supported in Windows Media Player as of the Windows 7 RC.

-Alex
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:27 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:15 PM

All replies

• harakternik,

Aside from the old trick of dumping the entirety of the song's lyrics into the comments block of its ID3 tag (accessible by right-clicking the file in Windows Explorer and opening the Properties menu, then navigating to the Details tab), .mp3 files et al. are not able to carry this information. iTunes does exactly this using special formatting, which is how lyrics are able to be read within that software, but this feature is not supported in Windows Media Player as of the Windows 7 RC.

-Alex
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:27 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:15 PM
  • Hi Felix,

the ID3v1 container in is original specification does not include lyric frames, the ID3v2 does. There are even 2 forms defined: id USLT for unsyncronised and SYLT for syncronised lyrics. 
    http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0

Morticah
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:37 PM
  • I got it. It's a pity that WMP12 does not have such a feature as WMP11 has (on Windows XP I can add  lyrics to mp3 files easily). This is regression, and I hope that Microsoft will add this feature
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:36 PM
  • By the way, I want to point out that not very convenient to edit in details pane "genre" and "contributing artist". For example, to edit the "title" and the other is very convenient. And it would be a nice add to details pane "add lyrics" like here:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8757/lyricsm.png
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 11:35 AM
  • +1.  It's aggravating that Microsoft removed the Advanced Tag Editor from WMP 12, which allowed you very easily to add lyrics to a WMA.  I tend to agree with those who have said that WMA 12 for Win7RC is a disappointing downgrade from 11.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:45 AM
  • For various reasons, that feature was intentionally removed from WMP12 for Win7.
    Please, please note that tags can still be edited from within Windows Explorer; however, the 'lyrics' feature was removed there.
    See zachd's responses in this thread:
    WMP 12 - Where is the Advanced Tag Editor?
    There, you'll see the reasons that ATE was removed from Media Player, as well as why 'lyrics' went away.

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:13 AM
  • I case anyone is listening...BRING BACK THE ADVANCED TAG EDITOR.  I have tried several other media players but have like WMP over the others for serveal years now.  Thought Microsoft finally got it right and had a usefull program that came with Windows.  Now that I have upgrade to Windows 7 and WMP12 I am beginning to wonder.  Why are you removing features?  If I have to use some other program to edit the tags, including Explorer then why would I go back to WMP at all.  I'll just use some other program.  I hear ITunes is nice.

Jeff
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:37 AM
  • I just got my new pc with Windows 7 and WMP12.  And just discovered that I cannot add lyrics nor easily edit information in WMP12 after searching in vain for the advanced tag editor then googling.  After getting used to being able to add lyrics and tag several pics to a song and label them and delete or change them (yes I'm aware we can drag n drop album art, but seems we can't delete them in WMP12), I feel like I'm having to settle for 2nd best now with WMP12, not something better than it's predecessors, which makes no sense.  WMP used to be my preferred mp3 player and I second the request to bring back the ATG, make a patch or something pls.  I cannot live with WMP12 as it is now.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:32 AM
  • thats very true...i've already send a mail to microsoft regarding same issue....it needs to be fixed as early as possible...
    it might not be a feature used by many but its important for atleast few. i guesss technicians missed it out in designing win 7
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:06 PM
  • MICROSOFT, HELLOOOOO!!! It seems a lot of people is not happy because you have removed the possibility to add lyrics to a music file. You added a lot of silly tags and removed an important one. Why, would you tell us??? I don't want to use plugins, I wanna do it the oldfashioned way!  Why change what is good into something worse? I simply don't get it! What's the problem, don't you like happy people singing their favourite songs while listening to them? PLEASE, BRING BACK THE POSSIBILITY TO ADD LYRICS TO MUSIC FILES!!!

Friday, November 12, 2010 5:49 AM
  • MICROSOFT, HELLOOOOO!!! It seems a lot of people is not happy because you have removed the possibility to add lyrics to a music file. You added a lot of silly tags and removed an important one. Why, would you tell us??? I don't want to use plugins, I wanna do it the oldfashioned way!  Why change what is good into something worse? I simply don't get it! What's the problem, don't you like happy people singing their favourite songs while listening to them? PLEASE, BRING BACK THE POSSIBILITY TO ADD LYRICS TO MUSIC FILES!!!

I Know Riggghhhhttt ??? Agreed x3 LOL
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 11:40 PM
  • NOPE !!!!

I don't know why Microsoft built WMP 12!!!!!!!!!

Using WMP12 is like self torturing!
    I prefer to use I tune.
    Impossibility of adding lyric to music is at least of WMP 12 problems!!
    I hate it as much as I like WMP 10 & 11 but as Microsoft wishes (and I don't know why??) we can't install WMP 10 or 11 on win 7!!!!!!!!
    Monday, November 21, 2011 1:55 PM
  • yes use media go works gr8
    Sunday, March 23, 2014 12:25 AM