none
Windows 7 64 Bit USB Copy freezes. Hotfix did not resolve issue.

Question

• I have seen the other similar threads in relationship to this issue. But they all say use KB976972.  Well, KB976972 did not fix my issue.

I am running a Quad Core Phenom (2.3ghz) 64bit processor, 6GB RAM with Windows Home Premium 64 bit.  When I try to copy large files (approximately 700MB each) to a 16GB Kingston Data Traveler, it freezes, and then the USB thumb drive disconnects.

I have tried copying one file at a time, it all goes very fast until it gets about 99% done then freezes.  

I'll gladly provide any other system information needed.

I downloaded and installed KB976972 and restarted as necessary, and still not working.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Wednesday, March 03, 2010 3:03 AM Moved to relevant forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Monday, January 04, 2010 6:16 AM

Answers

• ONLY SOLUTION I HAVE FOUND TO WORK FOR ME:

I spent about $20 for a USB 2.0 PCI Card and a Powered USB Hub (I wasn't gonna spend all my time reaching behind my computer to plug/unplug things).

As it's been over 2 years, and I don't want to buy a brand new computer any day soon (Mine does everything I need except the USB stuff), I figured $20 to fix the issue isn't that bad. Just annoying.  VERY ANNOYING.

So to anyone still having this issue, some of the KB's listed may help you, or may not.  The only cheap/best solution I've seen is buying an internal USB card.  You can get them for less than $20.  It'll solve the issue. Unless you have a laptop, sorry.

I'm very angry about this being the solution.  

• Marked as answer by JTGMobile Saturday, May 26, 2012 10:30 PM
    Saturday, May 26, 2012 10:30 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you tested this USB device on another computer? What's the result? If the problem still happans in another computer, I recommned you reformet this device:

1. Right click this device and choose format.
    2. Click Restore device defauls.
    3. Perform a format.

If the problem does not happans in another computer, try boot your computer to clean boot mode and to see if the issue persists:

Clean Boot
    ================
    1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
    Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer.

Thomas77
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:48 AM
  • Hello Thomas,

Thank you for your response.   I have tested the USB device on many computers.  I have been using it for 6 months now and it works on pretty much every other computer except for my new system which I listed previously.  My Thumb drive works on a different Win7 box, WinXP, Windows Vista, Mac OSX, and Linux.  

I attempted a clean boot, and it still stops/freezes after roughly 99% copied, then the USB device becomes disconnected.  

It's rather annoying as it copies the first 650MB rather quickly, then gets stock with about 30-50MB left.  

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 12:21 PM
  • Woah, slow down guys, I wouldn't want you all to help at once.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 1:15 AM
  • What's the make/model of your PC?

As a temporary measure, can you try uninstalling your antivirus software?  Before you do this, please make sure you have the necessary product keys/install media so that you can reinstall it.

Have you installed any backup software on the machine?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Make/Model: HP Pavilion Elite 9500z CTO Desktop

I have attempted uninstalling my antivirus software (AVG Free 9.0).  Rebooted.  Tried again.  Same problem.  Copies about 98-99% of the file, then hangs.  After a few minutes the USB Thumb drive becomes "disconnected" according to windows and the transfer fails because it cannot find the destination anymore.

I have no backup software installed on this computer.

On Friday I used the same Thumb Drive on a Windows 7 32 bit system at work and was able to copy files to and from the thumb drive successfully.  So I have no reason to think its the thumb drive.

Thank you Mark for taking time to look at this.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:24 AM
  • Okay, more fun and games:

Grabbed my Dell Mini 9 Netbook with Win7 32-bit on it.  Plugged the USB Thumb drive into it.  Opened up the directory with the files I wanted on the HP from the Dell Mini via network (\\computer\folder).  Copied straight from the HP onto the Thumb Drive plugged into the Dell Mini.  no problem.

So now at least I have a temporary work around.  Unfortunately due to my network, and the Dell Mini's being weird, it only transfers at roughly 1.5MB/s.  So takes a lot longer than I'd prefer, and is still not a solution to the actual problem.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:39 AM
  • Although there's no BIOS updates on HP's site for your system, I'd suggest calling them to see if there's one in beta or soon to be released. Asus released a BIOS update a few days before Thanksgiving for "Windows 7 x64 USB issues" that fixed the problems on my system.

EDIT: Also, have you tried disabling some RAM? Try using 3GB only:

bcdedit /set {49916baf-0e08-11db-9af4-000bdbd316a0} truncatememory 0xC0000000

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa906211.aspx

Sunday, January 10, 2010 7:04 AM
  • I'd prefer not to run a BIOS that is still in beta.  That and I don't like calling HP tech support since every one I speak to obviously does not use English as their primary language.  

About the disabling the Ram idea. That is the worst fix idea ever.  I didn't buy a system with 6GB of Ram to turn half of it off to do the most simple of tasks.  

I honestly think this is one of the most retarded IT problems I've encountered in a long time.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 4:07 AM
  • Disabling the RAM is a suggestion that appeared in an earlier thread related to the USB hotfix you installed.  That would be a temporary measure.  It's something that's worth trying.

Please create a public share on http://skydrive.live.com.  Then run msinfo32, select File...Save, and save a copy of the output to your PC somewhere.  Copy that file to the public share you created.  Then post the link here please.

Thanks,
    Mark

Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:24 AM
  • Monday, January 11, 2010 12:14 PM
  • Do you prefer waiting around for a BIOS update with USB issues or disabling/removing some RAM until one does without issues?
    Monday, January 11, 2010 12:17 PM
  • For the record, I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP motherboard (AMD 780G chipset, latest BIOS) with 4GB of RAM (2x2GB) running a AMD Athlon X2 7750 on Windows 7 Home Retail.

I'm having the same problem as the OP. I have a folder containing several 350MB files, if I copy them one at a time, it works fine. But as soon as I select 2-3+ files at once, the file copy hangs and the USB drive is disconnected after a while.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Do you prefer waiting around for a BIOS update with USB issues or disabling/removing some RAM until one does without issues?
    Honestly, neither. A new Quad Core computer is not cheap. Windows 7 is not cheap. These are computers made by supposed leaders in the industry, and Microsoft has been doing the OS thing for a long damn time now. This is a ridiculous problem to have. I'm going to stick to using my Network to copy things over, as it does not mess with the RAM on my new system.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:32 AM
  • Well my only other suggestion is to use another interface type to transfer files, e.g., eSATA or FireWire.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:35 AM
  • Does the same issue exist in Safe Mode?

Also, is there anything logged in the Event Viewer on the issue?
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:09 AM
  • Disabling the RAM as a temporary measure might help narrow down the cause of this issue.  Please see this post for info on how to undo that option:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/3aae3b66-6a1a-47e8-ad1b-b20b68eaecf8#79ea3219-d76e-40bc-b910-c7d347002e66

Thanks for posting the system info file.

In that file, I note that some AVG components are still loaded.  I assume you ran this after you re-installed the app, but I'm pointing it out just in case there was an issue with the uninstall.

After you try running in safe mode per auggy's suggestion, maybe try uninstalling dropbox, rebooting and trying again.

When you're copying files, have the resource monitor open in the background.  Sort on "Average CPU".  Report back on any process that's taking a large amount of CPU time.

Thanks,
    Mark

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:28 AM
  • Having the exact same issue with my Dell Studio XPS laptop with Intel Centrino 2 Duo processor.  I've tried everything JTGMobile has and nothing.  Worked fine last week, suddenly doesn't anymore.  Could it be an update from Microsoft that caused the problem?

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Similar system: AMD Quad core, Windows 7 64-Bit, 4 gb memory
    Hotfix did not fix the problem

Thanks!

Friday, January 22, 2010 3:47 AM
  • Sorry for the delay, I have been very busy and haven't had time to spend on this.

I still have not attempted disabling the RAM yet.

Rebooted into Safe Mode, still has the same issue.  Uninstalled DropBox, still has same issue.

Event Log shows what appears to be a generic issue:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Disk
    Date:          1/24/2010 4:15:40 PM
    Event ID:      51
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      JTGQUADCORE
    Description:
    An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk5\DR5 during a paging operation.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Disk" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32772">51</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-24T22:15:40.944996100Z" />
        <EventRecordID>15054</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>JTGQUADCORE</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>\Device\Harddisk5\DR5</Data>
        <Binary>040080000100000000000000330004802D0100001600008000000000000000000000000000000000401C000000000000FFFFFFFF01000000580000160000000000200A1280002040001000003C00000000F0950780FAFFFFD8EE200780FAFFFF0000000000000000602C620680FAFFFF1090AB0680FAFFFF30090000000000002A000000093000000800000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Ran the copy with Resource Monitor open and this is what I saw:

Image PID Description Status Threads CPU Average CPU
    explorer.exe 2856 Windows Explorer Running 46 2 1.57
    perfmon.exe 4592 Resource and Performance Monitor Running 19 1 1.04
    System Interrupts - Deferred Procedure Calls and Interrupt Service Routines Running - 0 1.03

Not much there.

I guess I'll look at how difficult disabling RAM is, if it requires a reboot everytime, then it's not a good plan.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:28 PM
  • I disabled the RAM as suggested, rebooted, tried again, now it hangs about 35%-40% through the transfer.  Same error in the Event Viewer.  

So it looks like the only Working fix I have for this is to transfer things over the network to another computer, which is a pain to be bothered with.  
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:35 PM
  • Hello,

Does the problem happen after reinstall windows 7? You can perform a Parallel Install and see if the issue persists in this new installation.

Thomas77
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:48 AM
  • Hi,

I'm having a similar problem. Dual core AMD 3.2ghz, 6gb ram, win7 x64. I installed the hotfix, which did actually resolve the issue... for about three days. Now it's back - infact it's worse. 90% of the time connecting the 1tb USB hdd will cause the system to recognise the hardware, attempt to open the folders therein, then hang. one time i left it frozen to see what would happen - after about 10 mins it bluescreened. When i do manage to succesfully connect the device and open folders, transfers stop after a few seconds. Physically removing ram modules to leave only 2gb doesn't resolve the problem. I've tried using the hdd on another pc, also win7 x64, 2gb ram, amd 2.0 single core, and it works flawlessly.

I've read a lot of people saying that they're having this problem with all usb hard drives - it's probably worth noting that although my 1tb seagate hdd does not function properly, a 500gb WD hdd works fine, and did before the hotfix.

not sure what else to try now but a fresh installation of windows, and i get the feeling the problem will just resurface even if i do go to all that trouble. wish microsoft would hurry up and get a handle on this.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:15 AM
  • Hello Thomas, yes I tried what I call "The Microsoft Fix" of reinstalling. Same issue.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:22 AM
  • I wasnt willing to reinstall windows so tried another workaround - putting in a USB PCI card.  The USB ports off the PCI card work perfectly, the ones off the MB still drop the connection...

Monday, January 25, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Has there been any progress with this? I am also still having problems even after applying the update so I'm interested in any real solutions.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 9:02 AM
  • I'm also having this problem on my Intel Quad Core, ASUS Striker II Formula nForce 780i SLI chipset board, with 4GB matched Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM.
    Whenever i attach my Portable USB HDD to my Windows 7 Pro x64 machine and try to copy anything more than 1MB the copy either fails or takes a considerable amount of time to complete, it doesnt seem to process much faster than 1MB/s and rarely completes. (This was both as a FAT32 and now an NTFS FS)

I have stopped all my AV apps and have also disabled the SuperFetch and the Remote Differential Compression (fixes more attuned to Windows Vista transfer speed problems), this has made no difference. I tried to install the HotFix for nVidia chipset drivers and was informed that due to WAU its already installed. I have also updated the nForce driver to the latest available from the nVidia website.

I'm a little reluctant at the moment to try reducing the RAM a. as im unsure as to exactly why this should be needed? (any explanations as to why this may help?) b. I have read earlier in this thread that reducing the RAM actually caused more problems with USB.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:39 PM
  • Im having exactly the same problem with my laptop - started about 2 weeks ago - I have a Fujitsu 7220 with P8800 @ 2.66GHz Processor(s). My USB controller is Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller.

I get eventID 51 everytime I try and backup to a USB drive.

Any ideas as its driving me nuts?
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 9:06 PM
  • I am having the EXACT same issue.

I am running a HP desktop with nForce 4 chipset. This issue never existed in any Vista or XP Versions. It only started happening with Windows 7. I have all the latest updates installed from Windows Update. This is really getting to be an annoyance.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:17 AM
  • Still no soution. Ive even tried powered drives, but this doesnt have any impact . Interestingly Ive noted that the error occurs everytime that I return to my laptop once the screen saver has been enabled. Ill investigate further with power settings on the laptop.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:10 PM
  • Hi
    Im having the same problem. when copying files about 350mb they copy about 50% and then the computer freezes and i have to restart. i have windows 7 x64 professional, intel pentium dua-core T4200 2ghz processor with 4GB ram. usb device is intel ICH9. When booting in safe mode i can copy more files to and frm the USB but after a while it again freezes :( but can certainly copy more in safe mode than out of safe mode before if freezes. Its a new problem for me, has only started happening recently, maybe the last month if that...
    Any suggestions on fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:58 PM
  • Just to let you know i fixed the problem by doing a BIOS update. before i had vista 32 so updated to windows 7 64 BIOS and the problems gone.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:21 PM
  • I have a similar issue but not exactly the same.  I have a HP e9300z with AMD Athlon II X4 630 processor and 6 GB memory. 

My issue is that when I am transferring data from an external USB device to the computer, the computer starts behaving erratically and will not allow me to start new programs or use any open programs.  The USB transfer will run to completion and when the data transfer is over, everything on the computer works as before. 

The issue does not present itself when I am transferring data from the computer to the external device only when going from the external device to the computer so the data direction over the USB is a factor.

Like JTGMobile, I tried KB976972 and it did not fix my issue either. 

This computer is brand new.   If I can't get this fixed, I'm sending it back!

Sunday, March 28, 2010 12:15 AM
  • I have a similar issue but not exactly the same.  I have a HP e9300z with AMD Athlon II X4 630 processor and 6 GB memory. 

My issue is that when I am transferring data from an external USB device to the computer, the computer starts behaving erratically and will not allow me to start new programs or use any open programs.  The USB transfer will run to completion and when the data transfer is over, everything on the computer works as before. 

The issue does not present itself when I am transferring data from the computer to the external device only when going from the external device to the computer so the data direction over the USB is a factor.

Like JTGMobile, I tried KB976972 and it did not fix my issue either. 

This computer is brand new.   If I can't get this fixed, I'm sending it back!

Sunday, March 28, 2010 12:16 AM
  • I gave up... Bought a new USB Card and it works perfect now.

I'm guessing it has to do with some motherboard drivers for internal USB hubs. Not sure really.

Monday, March 29, 2010 12:57 AM
  • Hi,

I've got a similar problem, connecting a WD Passport external HDD . It takes minutes to read the directories.

Not even thinking of  reading/writing any file..

I've found a workaround : I connect the drive before powering up the PC and then it works fine. Not so convenient, but better thqn nothing.

The hotfix didn't solve the issue.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:32 PM
  • I have exactly the same prob, I thought everything was fine with Windows 7 64 bit until i tried to transfer files from pc to External USB or 1 TB HD, file transfer reaches about 98% then stops and i have to reboot to get the drive or drives back

I have tried removing 2 of the 4 gig i have physically and i have tried

bcdedit /set {49916baf-0e08-11db-9af4-000bdbd316a0} truncatememory 0xC0000000

I have also tried the so called HOT FIX which also does notthing, so for the moment I am stuck with a pc and operating system that does not let me transfer files to anything external.

I will prob buy a USB card 2morro morning and hope that this fixes prob till someone does something about it.

This is not first time i have problems with Nvidea Chipset I guess this will teach me not to buy this rubbish again

Thanks

John Jacks

Monday, April 05, 2010 7:42 AM
  • Same issue here. Just upgraded my brother's PC with an EVGA X58 SLI LE motherboard w/ Intel Core i7 920 CPU. MB runs an Intel ICH10 USB controller. I'm trying to restore some files from an external drive and the copy hangs in the middle of a large file.

Hotfix did nothing for me.

• Proposed as answer by stnxxx Thursday, April 08, 2010 7:39 PM
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 1:08 AM
  • Same problem.

Got a laptop running Vista 32, USB devices works flawlessly.

My desktop running windows 7 64 just hangs when copying to the USB drive. Tried reformating all the drives, still a no go.

I've found out that the error is due to the devices being in Different Modes, at least that is what TeraCopy is giving me as an error message.

I find this so amazing to be honest. The latest windows version can not copy files to USB drives. Wow.

So many persons seem to have this problem (not only on this forum, everyone I know with W7 64 has this), and still no fixes.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 7:39 PM
  • Some additionnal info : Connecting the HDD before powering up the PC works§, until I connect another USG storage, like a key or an SD card reader. After this, impossible to do anything with the HDD anymore..

Thursday, April 08, 2010 8:48 PM
  • This SAME exact problem just started for me. I had been using the computer for several months being able to copy. It has only been until recently that it started freezing when copying files. Not only would it do it when I tried to copy to the USB device, but it would happen when I tried to copy from one SATA harddrive to my secondary SATA harddrive.

I'm thinking it could have been due to a Microsoft Update that was installed recently. I found out how to fix it on my machine, but it is really irritating. I have an AMD chipset, and had been using the AMD AHCI drivers under windows. I decided to uninstall the AMD AHCI drivers after having my computer freeze 6+ times while trying to copy a file. I told it to remove the device driver files, and it installed the generic Microsoft AHCI drivers. That fixed it! But it had worked with AMD's for four months prior. Which makes me think something else caused it to stop working such as a Microsoft Update. The hotfix did not work for me, because I'm using an ATI chipset and not an Nvidia chipset.

I'm going to reinstall the AMD/ATI chipset drivers to see if it does the same. If not, I'll have to keep using the Microsoft AHCI drivers. What a pain.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 4:05 AM
  • I'm having thee same or a similar issue on an HP Intel I7 core 12GB machine. Using plug and play USB devices basically makes the machine unusable for all intense purposes,

I've done most of the previous suggestions, except get a USB card and uninstall the AMD AHCI drivers as rmoat did.

Are other people still experiencing this or is there now a real fix/work around posed someplace?

Sunday, May 09, 2010 3:14 PM
  • I downloaded the HP Bios update of 14-Apr-10, greatly improved the USB functioning. I've been trying it for a day, and it seems to work OK.

However, accessing a FireWire device is still broken (I have both USB and FireWire disks). When it does work, it's about 1/5 the speed of USB. The eSata seems to be functioning OK.

Now, whether this problem is with HP or Windows 7 is a question. Since a process will often hang, as well as W7, there is inherently something the matter with some piece of software someplace (HP or MS)

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:39 AM
  • I decided to run a SFC /scannow from the command prompt to see if there were any issues with windows. It said that there were corrupt files that could not be repaired. I ended up backing all of my stuff up, wiping the computer clean, and doing a fresh install of Windows. Problem does not exist any longer, and I am using the AMD AHCI driver again. I guess it is possible the corrupt files had a role in crashing AHCI. But I'm not entirely sure.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 7:09 PM
  • Hi,

I have been trying to transfer files to either my external hdd or my usb stick and they get stuck around half to 3/4 of the way through. These drives work fine on friends computers etc. If I wait long enough I get this error number 0x80070079 come up but if I search it I can find bugger all on it! I am running Windows 7 64bit with 6gig of ram. The hotfix and also the disabling of ram did not seem to work for me. Any help please??

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:18 PM
  • HI , I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM , I use windows 7 32bit ,and i had the same problem when i used windows xp

i think that is a problem of power ,so try to switch the jumper on 5V SB

Saturday, May 29, 2010 11:27 AM
  • I have the same problem on my hp laptop with windows 7 32. But when i boot to ubuntu 10.04 live cd , no problem at all. How do you exlain this ?
    Monday, May 31, 2010 8:59 PM
  • Found this page looking for the solution to an identical problem that just started happening on my HP Pavilion/Win 7 Ult.

If I start copying a large file to a flash drive, it just stops. There's a burst of disk i/o and processor usage to start with then it all dies. I can move the mouse pointer but everything eventual freezes and a power off/on is required.

I searched for HP Updates and it installed a 3Mb update that did not solve the problem. I'm bang up to date on Windows updates, and I've installed the hotfix in this thread.

If anyone has seen anything anywhere else that might help, please let me know.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:00 PM
  • I am having the same issue on Dell XPS9000, I7, 920, 12gb ram x64, win7 premium. When I try to copy larger files at some time it stops with unexpected arror and code 0x80070079. Hotfix applied -  kb976972. Tried to delete USB drivers and still nothing. It looks like this issue is still around for some time now since Vista.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Ditto here on an Acer laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

If it helps, I found a few other kbs (in addition to kb976972 ) that might be worthwhile.

www.northshore-it.com
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:54 AM
  • I had this same exact problem on both a Dell Inspiron E6500 laptop with Win 7 x64 and a desktop with an Asus StrikerExtreme nForce 680i motherboard, 4Gb ram, quad core cpu, and Win 7 x64.

I managed to fix it on the desktop. Haven't tried the laptop yet. I first tried installing the KB update but I already had it installed. I then tried updating the BIOS which was a few years old but that didn't help either. I enabled write caching for the drive and that greatly increased the write speeds but copies would still get hung up. 

So eventually I decided to uninstall the KB update reboot, reinstall the update, reboot, and that fixed it for me! I can copy large files to the USB drive without a problem now.

The KB update was installed all the way back in March so I guess some of the files it updated got overwritten by something else. That's my guess anyways.

The strange thing is I have a dual boot of Win XP x86 and I was experiencing the same exact problem there so it almost had me convinced it was a hardware issue.

Anyway, I'd recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the update if you already had it installed when you encountered this problem.

Saturday, July 31, 2010 5:26 AM
  • I have an Intel i5 Quad Core 750, 4GB of DDR3 ram.. bla bla bla Anyway try going into your BIOS and disabling Hardware assisted virtualization. That's what fixed it for me.
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 6:53 AM
  • How do you do that disabling in the BIOS?  I have an AMD Quad Core/6 gb/ATI card, so the Nvida thing seems to not be working for me.  Neither did the cutting down of RAM, so I'm outta luck for now.  I'm just trying to copy a 40 mb file to my 16gb kingston drive, no luck though.  HELP! :)
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:14 PM
  • My solution to this problem was to use my EXTERNAL on my older computer that has the oNLY remaing stable windows version , when i say stable meaing u can use all ur usb devices the way that you want. Most ppl this would not be an issue, but if u use an external most of the time for installing other OS's thru VMWARE or anthing like that , then u cant have ur drive freezing and ur wireless internet freezing every 3 hours . i mean wTF microsoft. and NO i dont have an NVidia chipset i have a VIA with a MSI 6702 MOBO with windows 7 64 Enterprise . im gonna have to use the other rig and Network em VIA the router and file share , but i kno fileshareing is going to stop working and im going to have to re-enable it all the time . DAmN u micrsoft i wish i had a MAC
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:16 AM
  • we are all still looking for answer, ı am still have doubts of ms is caring about us

Friday, October 29, 2010 2:45 PM
  • any solutions???

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:27 PM
  • I to have the same problem and have yet to find a fix for it. Tested usb stick and all my other external drives on other machines and they work fine except on my machine with win7 64bit installed. After many long hours searching for a fix I am guessing MS have absolutely no clue as to how to fix this problem which is typical....I did however find a post in a forum about a guy who had the same problem and he believed he fixed it by increasing the motherboard voltage a fraction (northbridge or southbridge I am not sure which one) He claims this fixed his problem however its a risky fix if you ask me and I am betting its still a windows 7 problem.

A little help from MS would be appreciated otherwise I'm going to Linux...or worse yet a MAC.

Monday, November 29, 2010 3:51 AM
  • I also had the same problem for a while.  I finally got it fixed by updating to the latest Bios and installed the USB hotfix.  The hotfix did not work before I update the Bios.  Good luck.

My system is Gigabyte P55A-UD3 motherboard, 8M ram, Intel SSD and Window 7 Professional 64 bit.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:22 PM
  • .........a guy who had the same problem and he believed he fixed it by increasing the motherboard voltage a fraction (northbridge or southbridge I am not sure which one) He claims this fixed his problem however its a risky fix if you ask me and I am betting its still a windows 7 problem.......... 

Just to add my moneys worth. I've been plagued with the same USB problems as the rest of you. USB drive dropping when transfering large files, and more annoyingly my D-Link DWA-140 USB Wireless N adaptor, when downloading or streaming media. The MS Hotfix works perfectly until I reboot, then it's back to the same old issues. Even the Windows 7 x64 Service Pack 1 doesn't resolve it, and it has updated "standard enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" drivers (which are also applied to the rest of the usb controllers/hubs on your system). I've tried everything I could think of, disabling various system devices 1 by 1, disabling USB 2.0 in the bios (this does work but makes everything on USB unbearably slow).

So when I read the post above about upping the voltage on the mobo, I thought what the hell, nothing else has worked so why not.

I've found that increasing my NB voltage to 1.30 (standard voltage 1.10) has really stabilised my USB. It's not perfect but it's almost completely gotten rid of the USB drops. Only when I'm running both the wireless adaptor (whilst streaming) and a USB drive (3.5" hdd, not flash drive) on the same "USB Root Hub" does it occasionally drop one or the other. Move either onto a different "USB Root Hub" and things are fine.

So it looks like something in Windows is triggering ACPI to drop the USB devices or hubs when there is either too much of a voltage demand or the voltage supply drops too low (just my guess).

Worth playing with the NB (northbridge) voltages in my opinion, if you confident and have a motherboard with overclocking options. Be careful though, only increase your voltages by one increment at a time until you find what works. Overdoing it "could" fry your Mobo. Dont' hold me responsible if you do.

System:
    Asus M4N82 Deluxe
    Phenom II X4 965 BE
    2x 2GB Corsair XMS2 PC8500 (Just another thought, is everyone having problems running with 2 sticks of ram? Something I read elsewhere that could be related, but can't test if running 4 sticks makes a difference)
    BFG gtx260 756Mb OC2

• Proposed as answer by P-town Rocks_ Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:10 AM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 11:55 PM
  • Similar to what others were saying, I was experiencing similar problems when attempting to copy files to an external USB drive.

I found that if I kept the size of the file(s) under about 3MB, the copy worked; but if I tried a file over 3MB or a set of files that totaled over 3MB, the copy would essentially freeze up and I'd have to power down the drive to get the copy to terminate (clicking Cancel did little good).

Based on comments here regarding the use of a USB card, I tried plugging the external USB drive into the motherboard port (rather than the hub port on the front of my desktop case), and the problem was resolved.

So it appears to be an issue related to using USB hub ports, even those on your desktop.  Can't say if using a powered USB hub would have made a difference (didn't try), but at least this is an easy (and free) fix.

• Proposed as answer by P-town Rocks_ Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:11 AM
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 2:50 AM
  • Same problem here.

I've an External HDD (WD 500gb) that works perfectly with all PCs in my house except mine, and mine has Windows 7 Professional x64.

My problem is on both ways, if i try to copy stuff inside the HDD or if i try to move stuff from the HDD to my PC. In each way the transfer windows shows no percentage progress, or sometimes it goes to 20-25% and hangs there, the HDD continues to flash so it seems to work and, in fact, if i try to move a "small" amout of files, like 350mb of stuff, the files get copied but they take a long time.

I even switched the HDD profile to "Best performance" in the Hardware settings.

Any thoughts ?

Thursday, February 03, 2011 6:07 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

I too am having usb flash drive problems.  For me my Fantom 1TB external drive works okay, but ANY, I repeat, ANY usb flash drive completely freezes my system.  There is no blue screen.  After inserting the usb flash drives one of three things occurs: (1) I have access to the drive for a short time, can begin file transfer and then the PC freezes  (2) the PC freezes immediately  (3) the PC shuts down.  Here are the system specs:

AMD Athlon X2 64 6400+ (Zalman cooled)

MSI K9A Platinum (AMD 580 chipset)

4GB DDR2-800 PC2-6400

CrossfireX 4850s

600W PSU

Windows 7 Pro x64

I have been researching this topic on and off for about 6 months now, and this is the best thread I have found yet...many users reporting the same problems and just about everyone using Win7.  I teach computer engineering and programming on a daily basis, and this problem is starting to get to me.  I believe this is either a driver issue or a motherboard chipset power issue, but I want HELP AND A RESOLUTION.  

Fixes I have tried

1)Update BIOS - no change

2)Update drivers - no change

I even tried using the 'expand' command to extract the drivers from the KB976972 fix and manually insert the newer file versions in to %windir%/system32/drivers and that didn't even help.

3)Install PCIe x1 USB 3.0 card - instakilled power to pc upon USB flash drive insertion

4)Shutdown all startup programs and non-MS services via MSCONFIG - no change

At this point I'm out of options except for the voltage bump to the NB suggested by Sulus1179.  I was hoping that SP1 would be my salvation, but alas, it was not.  In just a few minutes I will try the voltage bump.  I'll post back with the results.

Edit: I forgot to mention that up until about 3 months ago I was dual booting WinXP 64bit and Win7 64bit.  I never had flash drive problems in XP.  Interesting....

Edit 2: 2 hours later....ramped the NB voltage up 4 times by .05v each time.....exact same result...plug in flash drive, windows freezes....all other usb devices work, no problem

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE HELP!    I don't know why this bothers me so much, but I suppose that's why I teach computer engineering.  If one thing is wrong with the machine I will find it and obsess over it.  I'd love to have it fixed.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:26 AM
  • I cannot believe it has been 1 year and the problem still has not been solved, I am also experiencing the same problem. And as most of you I also have Windows 7 64bit, mine is Ultimate though. It is very irritating, I have 3 different USB drives all 8gb, and they all have this problem with windows 7 64 bit, my 32 bits do not have this issue. Is Microsoft even aware of this at all or what?
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:23 PM
  • I just wonder if anyone that's still got these USB issues after installing the hotfix has looked at the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service"? I've had terrible problems copying to a USB drive that let me copy half a TB off it but won't even copy 5GB to it. I've had to power off a number of times after it just locks up for no real reason. 

Anyway, I stopped this service after seeing someone mention it elsewhere and thought what's the worst that happens, but it's actually resolved the problem.

I've worked in IT for 20 years and have experienced many strange and quirky things but think this is more than a co-incidence.

Anyway, I hope someoen else out there that was close to just launching their USB drive through their window tries this and gets it to work.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:59 PM
  • I was having a similar problem although the copying would halt at about 300mb in and I would have to unplug my external hdd to stop the copying process...

I have found that disabling windows firewall has resolved the issue. then re-enabling it after the file transfer :-)

I'm not sure if any of you have tried disabling your firewall but give it a try and see what happens...

Please reply if this fixed your issue.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 1:37 AM
  • My problem was more my fault. I had undervolted my Pentium 4 on an Intel 865G board. Even though my situation is x86, perhaps others might want to see what happens when auto-voltage schemes such as speed-step and cool-n-quiet are disabled.

Large file transfers are fine now after resetting to default voltage.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:47 AM
  • Many users at work are experiencing this issue and since we're in the planning/pilot stage of a migration, I've been forced to deal with it (reading too many posts and not many replies from MS)... (We're using supposedly quality-built hardware from Dell, so this isn't a problem with home made hardware.)

One interesing thing I noticed is that for me, it's only the File Copy dialog box that is hanging. I let the computer run overnight for a 211GB VHD image and the status showed about 30% copied this morning, but the destination drive shows the full 211GB. I haven't tested the integrity of the copied VHD...

I think I'm going to try testing some of the suggestions I've found in these forums, but I sure with there would be a formal Tech Note published...

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:15 PM
  • I was having the same trouble copying large files from a recently purchased Toshiba Win7 64b to several USB flash drives. Researching led to this thread and several others, which led to this solution, which has worked splendidly.

Place the flash drive in the USB port.

In the start menu, right click Computer. Select "Manage," which is available to administrators at least. In the column on the left, select the "Disk Management" option under "Storage." The flash drive will appear as one of the drives. Right-click on block that says "Disk 1" (or whatever, as opposed to the block that says "(E:)," or whatever). Select Properties, and then the "Policies" tab. There are two options on that tab. All of the USB sticks were previously set to "Quick removal (default)", which disables write caching. I selected instead the "Better performance" option, which enables write caching. Then clicked OK. Repeated the process for each of the USB sticks. Afterward, I was able to copy large files to each without a hang to each of the sticks.

I don't know if the same process can solve all of the problems reported in these threads, but it worked for me.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:32 PM
  • I have to retract this comment. This method worked for a few days, but then it failed again. I then tried several other possible solutions listed on other similar threads, but none worked consistently. Therefore, I now send the large files to a Vista box, which flawlessly copies them to USB. It is too bad that Windows 7 fails on this.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Hi all,

I am also deeply troubled by this issue. Worse of all is when MS attribute it to a NVidia chipset and a fix is produced for it while other non-NVidia still struggle with the issues with no fixes – I WAS one of them!

It is very obvious it is MS created issue, not related to any specific vendor. I am glad to share with all that I have finally managed to solve this issue on my laptop, which has bugged me for more than 2 weeks.

My laptop specs is Windows 7 x64, 8GB RAM, DELL Latituide E6410, Intel Graphics card, Intel USB Host Controller.

This is what I HAD TRIED before:

- Disable USB suspends --> I already had this setting, so this doesn't help.

- Change the Intel USB Host Controller to a standard one --> Noticed the transfer is faster, but still failed to transfer 35GB file.

- Change the USB drive to have optimum performance in the Policies instead of no need to remove drive --> Also failed to transfer.

- Disable the network autotuning level (autotuninglevel=disable) [based on Microsoft KB article 929868] --> appears faster, but still failed.

- Reformatted by USB --> Oh my… I had to go to this extend!... but it still doesn't help.

After all the messing around, I noticed that my Event Viewer cannot be started directly through administrator tool (MMC cannot open the file C:\windows\system32\eventvwr.msc, file is there, security is also correct)! What a pain, but I am living with it for the time being as I can still access through the main msc.

For the USB copy issue, I am lucky to solve it because I was doing daily large file backup and able to trace back to the date of the issue. By removing the following updates, I am up and running again:

UNINSTALLED KB2563227 [An SVG graphic that has attributes that use large values may not be parsed correctly]
    UNINSTALLED 2511250 [You cannot print a Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) or level 3 Cascading Style Sheet (CSS3) file in Internet Explorer 9]
    UNINSTALLED 2545698 [Text in some core fonts appears blurred in Internet Explorer 9 on a computer that is running Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008 R2]
    UNINSTALLED 2522422 [Cannot print from Internet Explorer 9 using some Canon printers]

Be VERY PATIENT when you undo the patch, I had waited for almost an hour before it finally shutdown and restarted.

I have a strong feeling that it is the KB2563227 that causes the problem since the so-call ‘fix’ was directed at a graphics card - NVidia.

I hope Microsoft can focus on that KB and help to address this issue.

Additional behaviour notes related to the issues: It seems that it is not a file size issue, but of a timing. My earlier testings show that it does not stopped at a particular range of file size, but rather after a more-or-less specific timing, possibly 1-2 hours. You might want to look at whether the KB2563227 is doing something after a specific timing.

I will still be doing more testings but I am just too excited to share the news given that I am finally able to copy now despite not being able to do a single one in the past 2 weeks! I can fully empathize with all on the pain of this, so hopefully, this provides another option for you to try.

Let me know how it goes on your end! J

Also, if you have any resolution to my Event Viewer issue, kindly drop me a note, thanks!

Regards,

Jacky

• Proposed as answer by Bruuha5 Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:03 AM
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Forget all of the MS fixes and updates.... Blah, Blah, Blah... I have an HP Media Center M8357c, with Win 7 (x64) and 6 GB Ram. This only started recently, so I'm not using the conventional (long drawn out) fixes. 

My buddy is an IT Professional and he recommended TeraCopy, its free and it fixes (bypasses) the copying issue!
    I love it and I don't have the copy lag anymore, plus you can batch copy files, pause and or/que them back up! 

http://www.codesector.com/download.php

Cheers!
    • Edited by Bruuha5 Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:08 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Hi all,

I am also deeply troubled by this issue. Worse of all is when MS attribute it to a NVidia chipset and a fix is produced for it while other non-NVidia still struggle with the issues with no fixes – I WAS one of them!

It is very obvious it is MS created issue, not related to any specific vendor. I am glad to share with all that I have finally managed to solve this issue on my laptop, which has bugged me for more than 2 weeks.

My laptop specs is Windows 7 x64, 8GB RAM, DELL Latituide E6410, Intel Graphics card, Intel USB Host Controller.

- Change the Intel USB Host Controller to a standard one --> Noticed the transfer is faster, but still failed to transfer 35GB file.

- Change the USB drive to have optimum performance in the Policies instead of no need to remove drive --> Also failed to transfer.

- Disable the network autotuning level (autotuninglevel=disable) [based on Microsoft KB article 929868] --> appears faster, but still failed.

- Reformatted by USB --> Oh my… I had to go to this extend!... but it still doesn't help.

After all the messing around, I noticed that my Event Viewer cannot be started directly through administrator tool (MMC cannot open the file C:\windows\system32\eventvwr.msc, file is there, security is also correct)! What a pain, but I am living with it for the time being as I can still access through the main msc.

For the USB copy issue, I am lucky to solve it because I was doing daily large file backup and able to trace back to the date of the issue. By removing the following updates, I am up and running again:

UNINSTALLED KB2563227 [An SVG graphic that has attributes that use large values may not be parsed correctly]
    UNINSTALLED 2511250 [You cannot print a Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) or level 3 Cascading Style Sheet (CSS3) file in Internet Explorer 9]
    UNINSTALLED 2545698 [Text in some core fonts appears blurred in Internet Explorer 9 on a computer that is running Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008 R2]
    UNINSTALLED 2522422 [Cannot print from Internet Explorer 9 using some Canon printers]

Be VERY PATIENT when you undo the patch, I had waited for almost an hour before it finally shutdown and restarted.

I have a strong feeling that it is the KB2563227 that causes the problem since the so-call ‘fix’ was directed at a graphics card - NVidia.

Additional behaviour notes related to the issues: It seems that it is not a file size issue, but of a timing. My earlier testings show that it does not stopped at a particular range of file size, but rather after a more-or-less specific timing, possibly 1-2 hours. You might want to look at whether the KB2563227 is doing something after a specific timing.

I will still be doing more testings but I am just too excited to share the news given that I am finally able to copy now despite not being able to do a single one in the past 2 weeks! I can fully empathize with all on the pain of this, so hopefully, this provides another option for you to try.

Also, if you have any resolution to my Event Viewer issue, kindly drop me a note, thanks!

Regards,

Jacky

Just wanted to say thanks man. Your solution worked perfecly for me. THANK YOU!

• Proposed as answer by tcorsair Friday, October 14, 2011 7:48 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by tcorsair Friday, October 14, 2011 7:48 PM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 9:58 PM
  • Works on Dell E6520. Thanks!
    Friday, January 06, 2012 9:38 AM
  • Hi all,

Regards,

Jacky

I just recently upgraded my 2 desktop pc's to Win7/64, and have now stumbled upon the usb file copy trouble.

I found this thread, and see that the microsoft fix does not apply to my hardware.I tried un-installing those updates above, but that did not

fix my problem.My main workstation (Win7/64 Pro) is a Supermicro X8ST3-F mainboard with a core i7 990X CPU, 24GB of RAM, Zotax GT430 based GFX card, and a Revodrive 3 x2 256GB system disk.I have trouble copying large files to both usb sticks and usb HD's.with usb HD the file copy freezes at 

end of file (99/100%), and I have to cancel the copy to get pass it.it does not matter whether I use Directory Opus or built in explorer.

Tried booting into safemode, problem persists there.mainboard drivers and BIOS are updated as well.

My retired workstation, also now Win7/64 (home), is an Asus P5N-E SLI mainboard with intel core 2 duo E6850 cpu, 8GB RAM and 

Geforce 7100 GS based GFX card.I never had any trouble with XP on it and usb file copy, but now I get the same problem on this machine too.

The laptop that belongs to the dragon, MSI CR620 w.Intel Celeron processor (Win7/64 home), the copy does not freeze, but the machine only has 100mb/s nic, so it is unusable for network copying with its 10MB/s speed.

My old compac bedroom laptop with XP32 of course works as well with the same disk, but its nic is 100mb/s as well, so..

I have noticed one thing though.If I format the USB sticks or the HD with exFAT theres no copy trouble, no freezing.the files gets copied.

but the downside is that the copy process is only half as fast (about 27MB/S as opposed to about 57MB/s or more with NTFS copying from a network source), and is not as well supported outside windows , but its my best option for now.

thanks in advance for any comments.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:17 PM
  • Similar problem for me. An i7 notebook with Win7 x64 16GB RAM.

I tried many methods suggested on this thread, none worked.

But, I found one working solution for me.

That is, "USE COMMAND LINE COPY COMMAND".

Open a cmd.exe window and type legacy command of "copy source target" as we did it decades before.

Looks stupid but it worked for me.

Anybody who resolved using this method, let me know.

• Edited by Naltang Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:37 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:33 PM
  • This is crazy....... I've been reading about this problem for years. Yes years! and have read about dozens of "fixes" that do not work. It affects Windows Vista, 7 and sometimes XP. Microsoft doesn't know or won't say how to really fix it otherwise I wouldn't be reading about it here. And they want me to go out and buy Windows 8!  Ha.    Fix the age old problem of file transfer to usb storage and I might think about it.    Choke on it Bill
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 1:45 AM
  • I am having the exact same issue and after a bit of troubleshooting, I have the following to add that may help in finding a solution to this problem.

Facts:

• I copied 8GB of data from my Win7 SP1 x64 (6 GB RAM) machine to a 64GB USB flash drive. The result was that it either froze halfway or froze at 99%. Either way, the operation would not complete.
    • I copied the exact same 8GB of data from the exact same Win7 SP1 x64 (6 GB RAM) machine to a 250GB External HD (ie. an enclosed HD connected via USB) and I saw the following symptoms: The operation would start, then freeze for 5-15 seconds, then continue. This process would repeat itself until the operation completed. Thus, there was still temporary pausing or "freezing" during the operation, but eventually it would complete, and it would write at a reasonable speed. I tested this several times using both devices and was able to readily reproduce the same symptoms.
    • I then tested copying the same 8GB of data from the same Win7 SP1 x64 (6 GB RAM) machine to a different 16GB USB Flash drive. Same results.
    • I then tested copying the same 8GB of data from a different Win7 SP1 x64 (6 GB RAM) machine to both 16 and 64GB USB flash drives. Same results.
    • I then tested copying the same 8GB of data from a different Win7 SP1 x64 (6 GB RAM) machine to the external HD. Same results.

Conclusion:

• Something is up with USB to Flash drive copying, but USB to External HD copying seems to work.

I wonder if anybody else has found the same symptoms. Anyways, I hope that helps Microsoft get to the bottom of this.

Sunday, April 01, 2012 4:25 PM
  • I have seen some reports of fake USB sticks that are sold as a high capacity but were actually lower capacity with altered firmware to report a larger than proper capacity.

This was a big problem for a while on eBay but now that the miscreants have been arrested those unfortunate to have those fakes are SOL.

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Sunday, April 01, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Thank Jacky!  Removing KB2563227 fixed the issue for me.
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Removing KB2563227 seems to have fixed this issue for me as well on my Dell e5410 which has an Intel chipset.  Uninstalling the KB2563227 patch takes forever.   It took my machine the better part of 45min before it came back up.

• Edited by RodKelly75 Monday, May 28, 2012 1:45 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:03 PM
  • I suspect that some problems have trashed the registry.

If you have a spare hard disk > 40 GB you can install Windows without a CD key and see if there is a problem wi9th a clean install

if so then its clearly a problem

Windows MVP 2011-12, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:58 PM
  • Over 2 years later, and I am still having the same issue.  I have tried removing all the KB's suggested, tried installing KB's that were suggested.  I really don't want to do a re-install, as last time I tried it didn't work.

God hates me doesn't he?

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:56 PM
  • ONLY SOLUTION I HAVE FOUND TO WORK FOR ME:

I spent about $20 for a USB 2.0 PCI Card and a Powered USB Hub (I wasn't gonna spend all my time reaching behind my computer to plug/unplug things).

As it's been over 2 years, and I don't want to buy a brand new computer any day soon (Mine does everything I need except the USB stuff), I figured $20 to fix the issue isn't that bad. Just annoying.  VERY ANNOYING.

So to anyone still having this issue, some of the KB's listed may help you, or may not.  The only cheap/best solution I've seen is buying an internal USB card.  You can get them for less than $20.  It'll solve the issue. Unless you have a laptop, sorry.

I'm very angry about this being the solution.  

• Marked as answer by JTGMobile Saturday, May 26, 2012 10:30 PM
    Saturday, May 26, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Might be better to get a USB3 card if you have an available PCIe x1 slot. USB3 has more power for power hungry devices.

PCIe cards are available in eBay and are cheaper every month. They need a supplemental power connector to support the higher power specs of USB3.

Windows MVP 2011-12, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 10:37 PM
  • After installed new fresh Windows 7 64 I had the same annoying problem. And don't know why, could not install KB976972 fix.

It works now by changing for "Better Performance" in the Removal Policies in the USB HD Properties (and faster copying!!)

Note that i had also uninstalled the KB2563227 (didn't fix), don't know if it is related..

*update

well... it worked for a while, then not anymore...

also runed an antivirus in the drive...

still not working...

• Edited by Kimitree Wednesday, June 06, 2012 2:27 AM
    Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:33 AM
  • Fix Windows Update

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:38 AM
  • Thanks Thomas...This works for me...!!

---------

Arun

Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:30 AM
  • I tried many things, the hotfix didn't work for me (gave me the error) nor did the lowering ram down frim 4 to 2gigs work...i discovered then that rebooting pc may fix problem....temporarily...but there is a much simpler solution!!!

i use HP Pavilion dv9000 4gigs RAM OS Windows Professional x64 and I HAVE THE SOLUTIOOOONNN!!!!

U have a usb drive? it freezes when copying your stuff to it? u wanna tell windows and hp to go s***w themselves??! then wait no further!! either go tell them, or follow my adivce!

i assume u must be using nfts for your usb drive (or FAT32, but maybe not...), well you know that exFAT is a BETTER option for flash drives, it's faster and uh...BETTER! so just goto usb drive from my computer, make a backup of drive (assuming u can actually copy from usb...i mean, i could...) and then RIGHT CLICK, FORMAT, CHOOSE EXFAT AND QUICK FORMAT, START, 1 SECOND, YOU'RE DONE!!!!

From NOW on u can copy whatever the F*** u want to your flash drove, and nothing will EVER bother you again!

I remind people who have  been having problems with their external hard drives that nfts is BEST FOR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES, while exfat IS BEST FOR FLASH USB DRIVES (ie the small ones!).

So know that exfat on a big external drive may slow the drive (but not by a lot though), but if u don't care and just don't want to experience any problems with ur x64 operating sistem on HP PC, then  DON'T BE AFRAID TO USE EXFAT it is COMPLETELY SAFE and WIDELY SUPPORTED by many operating systems.

Thank you for listening, and thank myself because i helped my own self, so i will shake hands with my own self now....but you can thank me too ;)

enough with buggy windows hotfixes,

Best Regards Everybody and Happy HP PC gaming,

Mario A. Barbara

Monday, October 08, 2012 3:05 PM
  • I tried many things, the hotfix didn't work for me (gave me the error) nor did the lowering ram down frim 4 to 2gigs work...i discovered then that rebooting pc may fix problem....temporarily...but there is a much simpler solution!!!

i use HP Pavilion dv9000 4gigs RAM OS Windows Professional x64 and I HAVE THE SOLUTIOOOONNN!!!!

U have a usb drive? it freezes when copying your stuff to it? u wanna tell windows and hp to go s***w themselves??! then wait no further!! either go tell them, or follow my adivce!

i assume u must be using nfts for your usb drive (or FAT32, but maybe not...), well you know that exFAT is a BETTER option for flash drives, it's faster and uh...BETTER! so just goto usb drive from my computer, make a backup of drive (assuming u can actually copy from usb...i mean, i could...) and then RIGHT CLICK, FORMAT, CHOOSE EXFAT AND QUICK FORMAT, START, 1 SECOND, YOU'RE DONE!!!!

From NOW on u can copy whatever the F*** u want to your flash drove, and nothing will EVER bother you again!

I remind people who have  been having problems with their external hard drives that nfts is BEST FOR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES, while exfat IS BEST FOR FLASH USB DRIVES (ie the small ones!).

So know that exfat on a big external drive may slow the drive (but not by a lot though), but if u don't care and just don't want to experience any problems with ur x64 operating sistem on HP PC, then  DON'T BE AFRAID TO USE EXFAT it is COMPLETELY SAFE and WIDELY SUPPORTED by many operating systems.

Thank you for listening, and thank myself because i helped my own self, so i will shake hands with my own self now....but you can thank me too ;)

Mario A. Barbara

• Proposed as answer by killbubble Monday, October 08, 2012 3:05 PM

i use HP Pavilion dv9000 4gigs RAM OS Windows Professional x64 and I HAVE THE SOLUTIOOOONNN!!!!

From NOW on u can copy whatever the F*** u want to your flash drove, and nothing will EVER bother you again!

Mario A. Barbara

• Proposed as answer by killbubble Monday, October 08, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Change the USB format from NTFS to fat32 it will slow the transfer rate, but it works.

Monday, May 06, 2013 2:25 PM