none
Windows 7 Starter to Ultimate Activation Problem after Anytime Upgrade

Question

• I recently used the Windows Anytime Upgrade option to upgrade from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Ultimate on my netbook.  I am University Faculty staff and was entitled to a copy of the Windows 7 'Systems Student Media' 32-Bit. I enquired whether I could use the product key from this DVD as the online anytime upgrade product key and was told that I could and so I used this.

Sure enough, it upgraded successfully using this key on Anytime Upgrade.  However, now, when I try to activate, it fails, with the error code  0xC004F061.  However, since the Anytime Upgrade worked with that Product Key, I am confused as to why it now won't allow the activation to take place.

What are the best options?

Thanks,

Alex

Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:17 PM

Answers

• Hi

Please see the following post from Dan V - Microsoft Support.

Product Key is not valid or Encountering Error 0xC004F061

There are links in that post that will take you, step by step, through the procedure to resolve the problem. Use the links that match your particular situation.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, November 20, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Try the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Search programs and files box type in: slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Hi Alex,

According to your problem description, you should contact Microsoft Activation Center directly.

For more details, please refer to the following KB article.

How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

Good luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, November 27, 2009 10:49 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:02 AM

All replies

• Hi

Please see the following post from Dan V - Microsoft Support.

Product Key is not valid or Encountering Error 0xC004F061

There are links in that post that will take you, step by step, through the procedure to resolve the problem. Use the links that match your particular situation.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, November 20, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Many thanks for your advice.  I checked this but I could not find a link that wasn't appropriate to my situation.  Since I was upgrading from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Ultimate (using the Product Key of the Windows 7 Ultimate Disc that my Faculty gave me), it would seem to be different from Vista to Windows 7).  Also, as I used the Windows Anytime Upgrade (because my Netbook doesn't have a DVD drive) I expected that when asked for the Product Key there, if there had been a problem, it would not have completed at that point.  However, it allowed me to upgrade and completed the process.  Now, I am at a loss as to what to do, with only 18 days in which to complete activation.

Advice would be appreciated.

Alex
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 1:30 PM
  • Try the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Search programs and files box type in: slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Hi Alex,

According to your problem description, you should contact Microsoft Activation Center directly.

For more details, please refer to the following KB article.

How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

Good luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, November 27, 2009 10:49 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:02 AM