none
Is it possible to change desktop Icon text size without changing screen resolution ?

Question

• Microsoft really blew it on this platform !!

I guess we see why business folks didn't upgrade from XP. I may go back to XP before I go blind.

Has anyone found the trick to changing desktop icon font size without using the , " sledge hammer  " approach of changing monitor resolution ?

Sure would appreciate some help on this .

Thanks , Jerry

Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:39 AM

Answers

I guess we see why business folks didn't upgrade from XP. I may go back to XP before I go blind.

Has anyone found the trick to changing desktop icon font size without using the , " sledge hammer  " approach of changing monitor resolution ?

Thanks , Jerry

Okay.... After a week of research and testing I have answered my own question;

NO .... I cannot change the Icon Text size on the Desktop without changing the screen resolution !!!

Question answered , no it cannot be done .

I want to thank everyone that responded to my question, thank you !

Jerry

Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:50 PM

All replies

• What operatinig system do you mean? Use XP style feature.

Regards

Milos

Thursday, November 22, 2012 7:14 AM
  • Hi Milos,

Thanks for the reply ! Sorry that I forgot to mention the operating system that I'm using. I'm using Windows 7 Professional.

I've never heard of an " XP Style Feature " . How do I use it ?

Thanks again , Jerry

Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:59 PM
  • changing desktop icon font size without using the , " sledge hammer  " approach of changing monitor resolution ?

Hi,

You can change the icon from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display.

You can change the font size by DPI in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 23, 2012 9:46 AM
  • changing desktop icon font size without using the , " sledge hammer  " approach of changing monitor resolution ?

Hi,

You can change the icon from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display.

You can change the font size by DPI in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Hi,

I tried that along with probably a half dozen sugestions that I found after spending half a day doing searches on the internet for ideas. When the DPI size is changed it also effects the desktop layout , I didn't verify that it changed the resolution but every idea I tried did change the screen resolution. I have my resolution set to optimum for all of my other applications and don't want to change the resolution, I want to change the text size for the Desktop Icons only. Apparently the platform is designed in such a way as to have tied the Icon size to the text size making it impossible to change the text only. Changing resolution or using a magnifying glass isn't an acceptable solution.

I'm using a resolution of 1280 X 720 on a 22 inch flat panel monitor.

I doubt verymuch that what I'm attempting is possible. When I did my searches on the inetrnet there were pages of suggestions indicating solutions for doing what I'm attempting to do , indicating  to me that many,many,many folks out there are also looking for a way to change the text only. I found that all of the ideas posted also changed the screen resolution

Thanks much for the reply.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 23, 2012 1:44 PM

Thanks , Jerry

Okay.... After a week of research and testing I have answered my own question;

NO .... I cannot change the Icon Text size on the Desktop without changing the screen resolution !!!

Question answered , no it cannot be done .

I want to thank everyone that responded to my question, thank you !

Jerry

Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:50 PM