none
Service control Manager reporting Kernel Information Provider service failure

Question

• I recently used Logmein.com for my remote access client after no longer having the need to remotely access my pc I uninstalled the client software. Since then my system has began to generate the following error after every system restart:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Service Control Manager
    Date:         
    10/25/2007 9:12:24 PM
    Event ID:      7000
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      speedy
    Description:
    The LogMeIn Kernel Information Provider service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the path specified.

The following are steps I have tried to resolve the issue with no success.

I verified the uninstall of the remote access client via it’s uninstall log..

I manually removed a small amount of traces of the remote access client software left over in the Windows and Program Files directories after uninstall.

I removed all traces of the client software in the systems registry as well.

Currently the issue still exists

DID locate related remote client files in the side by side (Winsxs) directory which I could not remove.

Note: This does not appear to be affecting my systems integrity in anyway, more of an annoyance.  

Any suggestions or direction to resources to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Criss

Saturday, October 27, 2007 5:21 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Criss,

According to your post, you did use a typical way to remove Logmein.com from your computer. Therefore, I think the problem should be related to the uninstaller of Logmein.com, because it can’t completely remove the software from your machine. To solve this, it is better to contact the producer of Logmein.com.

There is a method that you can try to stop the error prompt:

1.       Start  - Run… - “Regedit”

2.       HKEY_Local_Machine – System – CurrentControlSet – Services
    Note: Backup the Service subkey before perform Step 3.

3.       If you can find these key name: LMIinfo, LMIMaint, lmimirr, LMIRfsClientNP, LMIRfsDriver, logmein. Modify each binary value “Start” to be “4”(4 means Disabled)
    Note: You can also search for
    LogMeIn Kernel Information Provider” to locate the correct key under HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services.

However, please know that the above is not a regular way to solve such problems. To completely get rid of this event, I still suggest you to contact Logmein.com no matter the solution above works or not.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, October 29, 2007 1:37 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Criss,

According to your post, you did use a typical way to remove Logmein.com from your computer. Therefore, I think the problem should be related to the uninstaller of Logmein.com, because it can’t completely remove the software from your machine. To solve this, it is better to contact the producer of Logmein.com.

3.       If you can find these key name: LMIinfo, LMIMaint, lmimirr, LMIRfsClientNP, LMIRfsDriver, logmein. Modify each binary value “Start” to be “4”(4 means Disabled)
    LogMeIn Kernel Information Provider” to locate the correct key under HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services.

However, please know that the above is not a regular way to solve such problems. To completely get rid of this event, I still suggest you to contact Logmein.com no matter the solution above works or not.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, October 29, 2007 1:37 PM
  • Hi Criss,

3.       If you can find these key name: LMIinfo, LMIMaint, lmimirr, LMIRfsClientNP, LMIRfsDriver, logmein. Modify each binary value “Start” to be “4”( 4 means Disabled)

However, please know that the above is not a regular way to solve such problems . To completely get rid of this event , I still suggest you to contact Logmein.com no matter the solution above works or not.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Hi Guys im having same problem I did find service as Lionel described is by the name of Hamachi n not Logmein ... of wht ever.

So far  so good no prob yet..

Thanks Lionel

Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Hello. Same problem here with Windows 7 - 32. I tried several methods to get rid of the error to no avail, including the use of CCleaner and Registry Mechanic (which caused more problems than it fixed).

In the end, I reinstalled LogmeIn then uninstalled it and the error message, similar to what Criss2002r1 reported, disappeared.I run CCleaner to see if it would find some remnants of the code and thankfully it did not find anything in the registry from the LogMeIn program (it had in previous occasions).

Therefore, I can only deduct that the uninstallation of LogMeIn is a bit hit-and-miss. 
    • Proposed as answer by Monser Sunday, January 03, 2010 11:21 AM
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 11:20 AM
  • Go into your Device Manager - click on View at the top Device Manager - click show hidden devices - find and highlight LogMeIn Kernel Information Provider (one left click) - click on Action at the top of Device Manager - click on uninstall - windows will ask you to reboot - reboot.

LogMeIn Kernel Information Provider should be gone!

Saturday, December 11, 2010 7:22 PM
  • As old as this thread is, it still helped.  No sign of it in the Device Manager but rather than changing the values, I deleted those keys Lionel mentioned in the registry and all is good.  LMI, never thought about searching for that...:)
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:15 PM
  • As old as this thread is, it still helped.  No sign of it in the Device Manager but rather than changing the values, I deleted those keys Lionel mentioned in the registry and all is good.  LMI, never thought about searching for that...:)

I echo those exact words! 
    Friday, March 09, 2012 9:46 PM
  • This did the trick, as it was exactly where you said it would be.....
    Friday, April 06, 2012 1:42 AM
  • As much as I wanted Conductor7's advice to work, sadly it did not.  The error persisted, even though the LogMeIn Kernel Information Provider was uninstalled.  Lionel's advice above resolved the error.

• Edited by 8bitsme Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:07 AM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:00 AM