none
Vista professional - reboots wont shutdown.

Question

• We have recently purchased Hp PC's and 2 work OK, the third has a USB external drive attached.  This one originally wouldnt boot, so I changed the boot order in the bios to boot from HDD not USB HDD. 

The system now boots fine, but will not shut down.  The user clicks start shutdown, and Vista goes through the process but the system reboots every time.  We have closed all of the programs so nothing is running, unplugged all external devices but still it reboots.

Any clues on how to resolve this?

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• It look like the problem is related to power management. Please check the BIOS whether ACPI was turn ON.

Also, try to update the BIOS to a latest version can help.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 6:36 PM
  • Thank you for your reply, however there dont appear to be any ACPI settings in the BIOS, so upgraded the BIOS and still no settings to change.   All the settings for wake on LAN or PCI card are disabled.
    Friday, July 06, 2007 10:08 AM
  • What's the model number of the system?

Is it a desktop or a laptop?

Can you load BIOS defaults and see if it boots after that?

Can you explain what you mean by the third system has a USB external drive attached?

Did you install any software after purchasing the machine?

Saturday, July 21, 2007 10:44 PM
  • Its an HP/compaq DX2300. 

I have updated the BIOS and taken the default settings and it still will not shut down.

We have installed standard user software, Office 2000, Symantec Anti Virus, Sage is run on the webclient.  All programs are closed on exit, although I havent looked to see which services are running on shut down.

Monday, July 23, 2007 12:36 PM
  • If you have Symantec AV on CD/DVD, I'd try uninstalling it first, reboot, and then see if it shuts down. If it doesn't load back Sym AV.
    Monday, July 23, 2007 6:53 PM
  • OK, tried uninstalling Symantec AV, rebooted, shutdown system restarted.  So have loaded AV back on again.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 7:46 AM
  • michelleH, I have a customer having the exact same issue. Wondering if you found a solution?

Many thanks.

Friday, August 03, 2007 10:27 AM
  • Hi

Not yet, Im still trying.

Do you know when the next service pack is due?
    Friday, August 03, 2007 10:54 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.

HP are sending an engineer out for the customer. They said they weren't aware of the issue, but the model line was brand new so they were expecting some problems.

Will post when I know more.

Friday, August 03, 2007 11:22 AM
  • Great news!

Please do let me know, I would be interested to know what the fix would be.

Even the bios update didnt help.

Thanks again
    Friday, August 03, 2007 2:42 PM
  • Did you find that after installing the BIOS update that the desktop bkrd went to just plain black???

Customer reported it after running the update.

Friday, August 03, 2007 3:01 PM
  • My own was OK, my colleagues went black.  Two pcs both the same spec!
    Friday, August 03, 2007 3:13 PM
  • This is really strange! Was your colleague able to get the desktop bkrd back, or is it perminent???

Friday, August 03, 2007 3:17 PM
  • I managed to get it back by recreating his profile.  After backing up all his data that is!
    Friday, August 03, 2007 3:23 PM
  • Hi MichelleH,

So HP visited my customer today to see if they could resolve the issue (I wasn't there for this). But he suggested that the customer starts over, but uses Windows XP and not Windows Vista (Vista was the pre-installed OS). Whilst this is possible to do, I am sure, I am not exactly wild about the idea. The HP techie also said that it wasn't a hardware failure, but a software one.

I did however get to thinking, that is may come down to the chipset / graphics card drivers and software. Just an idea, you might want to install the lastest version from Intel (can be found here) for the model. It's just a thought. Do let me know if this works.

Cheers.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 4:41 PM
  • Hello thesaviour

I dont want to go back to XP either, and dont think we should have to.

Ill give all that a go today!  Will let you know how it goes.  Im also watching out for the Vista service pack, lots of rumours of it coming available soon.

Thanks again for your help.

Michelle
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 7:49 AM
  • im having the same problem right now, and managed to find a way to still get on the internet, i just cant shut it down without doing a hard reboot.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:33 AM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply Michelle.

I don't think a SP for Vista will arrive anytime soon. I would honestly be expecting it to arrive at the very end of 2007 (beta), for official release at the beginning of 2008.

You may also find my blog posting here a little helpful on some minor issues in Vista (here). It worked for some of mine anyway.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers, Dan

Thursday, August 23, 2007 9:37 AM
  • Any luck Michelle, before we go into the weekend?

Friday, August 24, 2007 4:41 PM
  • Hi Dan

Sorry I missed your message, I had a switch fail on Friday so was a bit busy, Im going to try to update today and will let you know.

Thank you

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:07 AM
  • Hi Dan

It didnt work Sad 
    I think we will have to wait now for sp2 to come out.  Well thats my next option at the mo!
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:38 PM
  • Ohh. I really thought I was onto something there.  Thanks very much for trying anyway.

Just on another line of thought. What graphics card does this machine use???

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:45 PM
  • Me too, no problem, Im glad to bounce ideas with someone Big Smile

Its an Intel(R) 946GZ
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:09 PM
  • I have the same problem.  I built my machine I have:

asus p5w-dh deluxe mother board

corsair xms2- c8500 2 gig

western digital sata raptor 150 gig hd

creative labs x1 fatality sound card

geforce 7950gx2 1 gig video mem

It worked great until I upgraded the bios on the motherboard.. Now it wont shutdown it just reboots.. Everything else works fine..

Thursday, October 11, 2007 3:00 AM
  • There have been various updates released by MS since this thread started. They won't appear in Windows Update for Vista, so you have to apply them manually:-

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/941649

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938979

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938194

This may be of some help to you.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:47 AM
  • It worked!  3 times I have shut down  and it worked.  That was after installing the first and then the second and the third updates. 

Thank you very much for your help! 

Thursday, October 11, 2007 10:11 AM
  • I have tried installing the updates and they are not installing, getting message (These updates are not for your computer)

Thursday, November 22, 2007 6:20 PM
  • What pc do you have?  These were for the HP Im working on.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:42 PM
  • I was having he same probelm. I noticed after i got service pack 1 it fixed the probelm. but after the next update came out i had the same problem with the computer rebooting after a shutdown. So i look at the update history and found that update Update for Windows Vista (KB952709)

Installation date: ‎7/‎9/‎2008 11:45 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

This is a reliability update. This update resolves some performance and reliability issues in Windows Vista. By applying this update, you can achieve better performance and responsiveness in various scenarios. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista License Terms.

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952709

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

was causeing the problem so i removed this update and it fixed the probelm.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 6:20 AM
  • Hello, I'm having the same problem with my laptop. It is a Toshiba L40 and it recently started to reboot every time I try to shut down. I've disable the auto-reboot in case of system failure, I don't have any Roxio software installed, I've tried the instalation of the updates suggested here and even the uninstall of some, and it didn't solve my problem!

Any more ideas?
    I'm running Win Vista SP2 and install every update as they are released through Windows Update.

Thnks

PS: I also tried to enter Safe Mode and shut down from there, but it rebooted again.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 3:09 PM