none
HP Laserjet 5000n printer not visible in control pannel (Devices and Printers)

Question

• I recently bought a new computer with windows 7 (32 bit) Pro. I installed the drivers for my HP laserjet 5000n.  The printer works fine, however, I do not see the printer in the in control panel (Devices and Printers).  I have 2 other printers that I would like to remove.  They can only be seen when I select a printer when printing a document. 

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:07 PM

Answers

• I'm assuming you are connected to the parallel port.  Right click on the computer and see if there is a Printer Properties menu item.

I've seen this when the parallel port is configured in a Legacy mode so the parallel device is just another part of the computer device (reconfigure the parallel system BIOS).

If you have more than one printer defined that uses the same port and same driver Devices and printers conciders this one device and the other queues are configurable in fly out menus off the primary device.

If you have Pro or Ultimate you can use the UI from the spooler team, launch printmanagement.msc to manage local printers.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 3:22 AM
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:39 AM

All replies

• if you just bought the computer (what did you buy?), what does it show in the print dialogue as the other printers?  Have you tried uninstalling ALL HP software, unplugging the printer, installed the Windows 7 HP Printer drivers from here http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=14945&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25473&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4062 then when prompted plug the printer back in? Let us know.

Found something interesting on the web that another person with the same problem said about no printers in his devices and printers panel, no icons showing so he said this

Click Start button, type "services" into the search program and files box. This brings up a list in the menu, select Services. This should open a list of local services on your system.., Find 'Bluetooth Service" and make sure it has started, right click and set to 'automatic' (mine was already set), Select "Bluetooth Support Service" and start, set to automatic (mine was set on manual)

See what that does for you

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Edited by cdobbs Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:28 PM added extra information
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:24 PM
  • I'm assuming you are connected to the parallel port.  Right click on the computer and see if there is a Printer Properties menu item.

I've seen this when the parallel port is configured in a Legacy mode so the parallel device is just another part of the computer device (reconfigure the parallel system BIOS).

If you have more than one printer defined that uses the same port and same driver Devices and printers conciders this one device and the other queues are configurable in fly out menus off the primary device.

If you have Pro or Ultimate you can use the UI from the spooler team, launch printmanagement.msc to manage local printers.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 3:22 AM
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:39 AM

• Computer is an Intel Quad Core Q8400 2.66 MHZ,Asus P5Q Deluxe MOBO, Nvidea 9500 GT 1 GB , 8 GB DDR2 Ram, 2-500 GB WD drives (Raid1).

I tried uninstalling all HP software but could not find any to uninstall in control pannels (programs & features).  The driver that currently works was downloaded from your attached link.  I tried reinstalling a new driver from the site but the printer stilll does not show up in devices and Printers.

I typed the services in the search program and files box.  I did not find Bluetooth service and therefore coluld not try the recommended changes.  I did do the requested changes to Bluetooth support services.

Thursday, January 07, 2010 3:48 PM
  • Yes I am connected to the parrallel port (LPT3).  I could not find a printer properties menu Item.

I am unsure where to go to reconfigure the parallel system Bios or what to do once I find it.

I now only have one printer defined to the parrallel port as printmanagement.msc  worked great, I was able to remove the unwanted drivers and printers. 

I still can't see my HP laserjet 5000 printer in Control pannels (devices and printers).
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Use printmanagement console for managing local print devices.  The Printers folder is gone from Windows 7
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Thanks! 

I will be able to change/manage the printer sharing properties and drivers using printmanagement.msc.  It would be nice if windows 7 would recognise my printer but this is a good work arround.  Is this problem a result of using a parrallel port connected printer?

Thursday, January 07, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Windows 7 spooler does recognise the printer.  It's the "device" that is problematic in this case.

I think this has something to do with PnP and parallel ports.  I add printers to LPT all the time but no real PnP devices, just a "test" printer

Is there a "device" for the parallel port in Devices and printers?  If so select the device and Right click.
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 8:03 PM
  • There is no device for the parallel port in Devices and Printers.  FYI, the parallel port is a Manhattan Parallel PCI card (158220).
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 9:21 PM
  • How about on your computer?  Select the computer, right click.  Any Printer propeties menu?

Friday, January 08, 2010 12:49 AM
  • There is no printer properties menu when I right click on computer icon on my desktop.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 2:55 AM
  • Glad you have a version that includes the print management tool. 
    Friday, January 08, 2010 3:46 AM
  • I'm having the same type of problem.  My printer is an older LaserJet 4+.  The parallel card is a PCI card (not part of the motherboard) and there is no setting in the bios for it.  I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  The printer shows up as a hidden device under printers in the device manager, but it will not show up in the devices and printers section of control panel.  Since I do not have Pro or Ultimate I do not have the option to use printmanagement console.  The parallel port does not show up in the devices and printer screen, but does show up in the device manager.  One of the options for the card is "enable legacy Plug and Play detection."  I have tried adding the printer with this option checked and unchecked with no difference.  After connecting the parallel cable to the printer, the system detects the new hardware and installs the driver.  It then shows up in the device manager.  I can see it in other programs (Word, Excel, etc) but it does not show up in the devices and printers section of control panel.  If I then try to add it as a new printer within the devices and printers, it appears to add it but I have to give it a different name than the one in the device manager, but it still does not show up in the devices and printers.  If I uninstall it from the device manager, it will then show up in the devices and printers.  However, if I then reboot the system, it adds it back in to the device manager and once again it will not show up in devices and printers.  I have worked on this too many hours and am very frustrated.  Any suggestions on what I need to do to get it to work?
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:38 AM
  • Can you confirm the Printer properties menu is listed on you machine in Devices and printers.  Right click the machine, look for Printer Properties in the menu list.

Does the manual for the PCI card have a section on configuring the parallel specification?

The 4+ should work in ECP mode.  My 4L does.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:02 PM
  • When I right click on the computer in devices printers, there is no printer properties choice.  If I right click on a specific printer there is a printer properties.  There really wasn't a manual with the PCI card.  I cannot find a place to set it for ECP.  I have given up and taken a different approach.  I bought a D-Link parallel port print server and all seems to be good now.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:24 AM
  • , but it still does not show up in the devices and printers.  If I uninstall it from the device manager, it will then show up in the devices and printers. 
    What are you deleting in Devices and Printers.
    What are you uninstalling in Device Manager, the printer or the parallel port?
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:55 AM
  • Uninstalling the printer in the device manager.  I can then add it as a printer in the devices and printers and it will show up until I boot the system.  It then adds the printer back in to the device manager and then doesn't show up in the devices and printers again.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:59 AM
  • The Computer icon is located in Devices and Printers.  Do you see the Printer properties menu item there?
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:42 AM
  • In Devices and Printers, if I click on one of my printers, there is a Print Server Properties menu towards the top of the screen (between "see what's printing" and "remove device."  However, if you are telling me to right click on my computer in devices and printers, no there is not a printer properties menu there.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:00 AM
  • You have it correct.  If you could use the snipping tool to capture some images and copy to a public folder on your skydrive, that would help make the point to dev and program managers.  No problem if you can't

thanks

Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:07 AM
  • I have the same problem on a PC I just setup for my Dad. It is an HP Pavilion with Windows 7 Home Premium. I added a PCI Parallel port card in it and attached an HP LaserJet 2100. It sees the printer just fine (I also added HP's drivers for Win 7) from the applications, but it does not appear in Devices and Printers.

The real problem comes from the fact that I can't set it as the default printer unless it is listed in Devices and Printers.

Another obvious and common problem in Windows 7 that really should have been flushed out in any real beta testing program.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 1:51 AM
  • Unfortunately not that common of a configuration, BUT very confusing.   You can get to the Default Printer  selection from the Printer menus when right cllicking the Computer in Devices and Printers.

Friday, February 12, 2010 2:29 AM
  •  I am running Windows 7, and recently bought an HP wireless printer.  My parallel printer (Canon) shows up fine, but the wireless one does not display in "Devices and Printers".  When I choose to print, I can see all my printers, and also the wireless as itself and as (copy 1).  So this is not just a parallel problem, it's a Windows 7 problem, or maybe just an HP/Windows 7 problem.  Thanks for the printmanagement,msc tip--that gets me where I need to go for changing default printers etc.
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 8:18 PM
  • I have the same issue with my Samsung CLP-500 Laser printer. It is connected to the USB port, and no longer shows up in the Devices and Printers Window under control panel. - I say "no longer", because it used to be there, but not anymore.

I can still print to it OK, it shows up as a printer from Word/Excel etc, and it can be printed to from other PCs on my home network, and it can be see in printmamangement.msc - Thanks for this tip, this workaround works for me - But I would be interested in finding out why it no longer appears in the devices/printers in control panel.

Only change I made to the PC recently, was I recently installed IIS/ftps 7.5; It was about 2 weeks later I noticed the printer missing. probably not the cause, but I thought it worth mentioning anyways.

Saturday, May 01, 2010 3:39 PM
  • here there are some software for hp 5000n

nice day

Thursday, April 07, 2011 8:18 PM
  • I had the same problem (ut with onother printer).

I figured out, that printers are not visible when two or more use the same port.

I solved it this way:

Lauch printmanagement.msc, there you can see all printers (also the one not shown in the system).

Select the invisible printer, go to printer properties, then select the tab with the printer ports.

Create a new port (same as allready in use) but give it another name. Assing it to the printer.

The printer is now visible in the system.

Friday, July 08, 2011 9:39 AM