none
Error 0 when using IMAGEX

Question

• Hello

I am trying to image some Windows 2000 workstations to a network drive using IMAGEX from the Windows Automated Installation Kit  for Vista.

I am using the command such as the following:

imagex.exe /capture /compress maximum c: z:\imagex.wim "imagex"

The first part of the process scans the hard disk and the message "Scanning xx files in xx directories" appears. On some machines (about half) the process stops with the error such as the following

Scanning: 5342 files in 567 directories

[Error: 0] c:\windows\system32\dllcache\abcdef.dll

Error imaging drive [c:\]

The error occurs on a different file each time you run the command for the same machine.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause such a thing and how I can get aroud this problem?

Thanks

Kanga

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 6:02 AM

All replies

• this might be an indication of file system failures. from the same running OS where you run imagex.exe, could you try running "dir c:\windows\system32\dllcache\", and see what happens?
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 6:00 PM
  •  

The strange thing is that I can do a dir and dos copy of the file at which IMAGEX stops. If I start IMAGEX again, it will stop at another different file and will not stop at the file which it stopped at the previous time.

Kanga

Thursday, April 19, 2007 2:00 AM
  • I understand this problem can be random. Can you dir out the entire system32 directory withour error?

What OS is imagex running on? Are you doing this in VMware server 1.02? There is a known incompatibility issue with VMware server 1.02.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 4:45 PM
  • Yes, I can dir the entire system32 directory without error.

We have set-up Windows Automated Installation Kit and are booting Windows 2000 workstation machines into WinPE environment. We are then using IMAGEX to create an image on a Windows 2003 R3 Server. VMWare is not involved.

Friday, April 20, 2007 12:31 AM
  • it is still unclear to me what version of winpe you have booted to run imagex. Windows 2000 winpe? I don't know if there was even such a winpe.

So lets try this:

1. what version of winpe you have booted to run imagex on? If you used the winpe from WAIK, then I think it is the Vista winpe, which is ok.

2. what OS are you trying to capture in a wim image? I am guessing Windows 2003 R3, but you said you are "booting Windows 2000 workstation machines", which implies they have Windows 2000 workstation OS installed. I am confused.

3. when you say create an image, what exactly are you doing? runing imagex /capture, or imagex /apply? I first thought it was from a capture operation, but with so many mentioned OS names, I am confused.

Friday, April 20, 2007 12:53 AM
  •                

Imagex will not be able to backup some directories, for example "system volume information".

To get around this you need to have a file called wimscript.ini in the same folder as imagex. This is an exclusion list and imagex will look for the file by default.

Here is a copy of the Wimscript.ini file that BDD uses by default:

[ExclusionList]
    $ntfs.log
    hiberfil.sys
    pagefile.sys
    winpepge.sys
    "System Volume Information"
    RECYCLER
    UserMan.ini
    LLU_Admin.Local.db
    LLU_Admin.Network.db
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\GDIPFONTCACHEV1.DAT
    C:\Build
    C:\idwlog
    C:\InstalledRepository
    C:\Packages
    C:\partitions.txt
    C:\sources
    C:\Windows\CSC
    C:\Windows.old
    C:\Windows\Panther
    C:\VLpackages
    C:\MININT
    C:\_SMSTaskSequence

Thanks,

Ben Hunter

http://blogs.technet.com/benhunter

Friday, April 20, 2007 2:09 AM
  •  

Sorry about the confusion

1. I am using the Vista winpe from WAIK

2. I am trying to capture an image of a Win2000 workstation. The image file in stored on a Windows 2003 R2 Server.

3. Running imagex /capture

Sunday, April 22, 2007 10:53 PM
  • hmm, I tried this myself, and it doesn't repro for me.

I clean installed win2000, and booted Vista PE, and captured the image to a local drive without error.

One thing I noticed is my win2000 install has %windir% being c:\WINNT, which is the default, but yours is c:\windows. Is this intentional? This shouldn't fail the capture, but I am just curious.

to get more info from your repro, could you try imagex /capture with the /scroll switch, like this:

imagex /scroll /capture c:\ <wim file> <image name>

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 6:17 PM
  • As far as i've been able to determine this issue is caused by trying to capture a WIM image using Windows PE 2.0 on a computer with less than 512Mb of ram. The specific machine that I was using had 288Mb of ram available to windows.

Windows PE 2.0 loads all of itself into a RAM disk and then boots up off the RAM disk. My rough guess at the amount of data that needs to be in that ram disk for a default setup is 191Mb.

The first thing that a program that works like imagex would have to do (as a programmer trying to think logical) is make some kind of an index of every file and directory on the hard drive. One imagines this is some kind of a BTree or something that grows with each file and directory scanned at some point the computer runs out of memory. This is my guess as to why the file it always stops on is always different since memory allocation behaviour doesn't have any determinisim in a multi tasking, virtual memory operating system (windows is essentally a highly evolved rip off of VMS).

I used bart PE instead and i seem to be having no problems. Another install of windows 2000 or XP on a removable hard drive would also be an option if the computer you're using supports booting from USB and you are a volume license customer.

Hope this saves someone 4 hours of problem solving =)

Thursday, April 26, 2007 6:57 PM
  • I have the same issue across a range of desktops (not a single issues with laptops, however).  This issue occurs when backing up to a network share, onto the same hard disk as imaging from, or a seperate hard disk.  Solutions appear to be random from simply trying over and over again, to lowering the clockspeed on the processor, to booting off a BartPE CD.  None of them is a magic bullet.  Errors occur across all previously mentioned.  Happens when imaging both XP and Vista.

Something fishy is going on...  Wasting lots of time redoing all these backups.  ImageX certaintly is flaky and inconsistent.  The fact that the error occurs at random, different spots does not bode well.

Monday, April 30, 2007 7:22 PM
  • could you try creating a winpe page file on a local harddisk, and then run imagex /capture. this way some RAM may be freed for imagex to use.

The way you can specify alternative winpe page file is by running: "wpeutil.exe createPageFile /path=<your path>"

could you try that on a machine with 256 mb of RAM, and see if imagex works. If so, then this will prove your theory.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 6:32 PM
  • I have been working with WinPE 2.0 (Vista version) for about two months. I also worked with WinPE 1.x for a long time and have several utilities that I use for imaging and deployment, inculding ImageX and Ghost32. With that said there are a few things I ran across. First, I noticed that WinPE 2.0 takes quite a bit more RAM on the workstations to run properly. With WinPE 1.x I was able to strip out a great deal and it had about a 90-100 MB footprint. This was great because I could work with the lower level equipment with only 128 MB of RAM. With PE 2.0 I am not able to image or do anything with computers with less than 256 MB RAM and that is borderline. I can image a physical machine using ImageX with my custom PE boot disk, but I cannot image a VM with the same memory footprint. VM's typically take 32 MB additional RAM so I tried setting the VM memory footprint to 288 and Low-and-behold it imaged properly.

I would suggest to those having issues that they look closely at RAM and the WinPE boot disk configuration. It is possible to move things around in the WinPE build image so that it does not all load in memory (see the WinPE 2.0 documentation). The first thing to do if you have machines with a lower than 256 MB footprint (I'm assuming that the Windows 2000 Pro boxes are of this nature), upgrade a problematic workstation to 256 or more RAM and try it again (may want to go higher just for testing and to have a successful image process). Secondly, I would do some extensive testing with your WinPE boot disk. Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 is free and it is a good place to test imaging and image capture (remember that VM's take an additional 32MB ram when booting to PE). Finally, I would attempt to strip out anything you don't need on the PE boot disk and see if you can break it down to the basic build. This may or may not be possible... I'm sure MS didn't worry about Vista PE (WinPE 2.0) and ImageX for Windows 2000 machines with less than 256 MB of RAM.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 12:35 PM
  • Yes. I am getting the same error problems. I am using imagex that came with the full AIK. When I run imagex /capture c: c:\xp.wim "my backup" I get a random error.

This works ok on a true windows. But doing this in VMWare it will not. I am sure I have got this to work before in VMWare. And I can go to the C drive of the VM windows and see all. But yet can not capture. Very strange.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 9:02 AM