none
Bug Check 0x101

General discussion

• As part of a company project involving multiple MPEG4 video streams, we have setup a Windows Vista box (SP1 installed).  It's an in-house (whitebox) machine running on an ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard, and with an Intel CPU at 2.67GHz (i7 Quad Core).

Here's some information from MSINFO32:

Item Value
    OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate
    Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name NSSC-PC-VISTA
    System Manufacturer System manufacturer
    System Model System Product Name
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 2672 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1605, 5/19/2009

As nearly as I can determine, the motherboard has the latest BIOS rev installed.  The problem?  It's crashing overnight.  Bugcheck 0x00000101.  According to Debug Help, this is:

The CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bug check has a value of 0x00000101. This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.

I have both a full memory dump as well as a minidump, although I have not yet examined these in WINDBG (I still need to install the proper symbols files).

The system has only one purpose.  It runs two instances of Internet Explorer (7.x) that use Python to query against another machine running Apache and display however many MPEG4 video streams Apache tells each instance to display.  It is using two Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 video cards so that each instance runs on its own large LCD TV running at 1600x1200.  Each instance can have up to 16 videos running simultaneously (start with one, split into four, and then each of those four can be split into four more).

So far, it seems as though one instance can run as high as we want, up to the 16 streams.  And so far, it hasn't crashed if both instances are at 4 streams.  The past evening, I had one instance at 16 streams, and the second at 10 streams (quad-split once, then two of those four quad-split again).  And, overnight, around 3:30AM, it crashed with the bugcheck 0x101.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a bad CPU, although I can see where the motherboard could be doing this.

I'm curious about what others might think.  Am I right to look at hardware first?  I didn't show it above, but Vista is running on a 64-bit install with 6GB of physical RAM.
    NSSC
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Regarding the error message Bug Check 0x101, please refer to this document:

Bug Check 0x101: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa469194.aspx

I suspect this issue may be related to the CPU. Therefore, please check the hardware first. It is also recommended that you contact the computer’s manufacture for technical support.

To troubleshoot system crash issue, we generally need to analyze the performance monitor logs and memory dump files to locate the root cause. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum because of the nature of forum support. If you need further help, I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. I hope this issue will be resolved soon!

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:16 AM