none
"prevent access to drives" Group Policy not handled correctly by Internet Explorer 9

Question

• IE 9 does not properly handle the "prevent access to drives from my computer " GPO when accessing the "view downloads" option from the tools menu. When this policy is enabled and you click on tools, view downloads, options, then browse in the "download options" dialog I  receive the appropriate "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions..." pop up message - as expected. When you click OK on the restrictions pop-up message the Explorer Browse window opens - not expected. This behavior happens regardless of what user I logon as, including local administrator.

Is there a patch or fix for this issue?

Is this issue addressed in IE 10?

Browser: IE 9.0.8112.16421 - clean install with all updates

Browser Update: 9.0.11

Local client GPO "prevent access to drives from my computer" enabled.

Thanks

Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:27 AM

Answers

• I have gained futher understanding of the issue. When "prevent access to drives" GPO is enabled the user no longer has access to their local 'downloads' folder. The restriction notice in response to clicking browse indicates that access to the downloads folder has been restricted. Clicking ok continues on to Explorer where the user can select any network share as a place to download files, but not the drives on the local computer.

If you select a network share folder then the restriction notice goes away when you repeat the process.

Thanks

Monday, November 26, 2012 1:49 PM

All replies

• You mean local policy or AD group policy. For AD GPO look into more specific forum here

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/threads

Rgds

Milos

Saturday, November 24, 2012 10:23 PM
  • Hi,

Does the issue occur on other computers as well?

I enabled the local group policy for a test, it works as expected. Try to create a new user account and check the result.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:52 AM
  • I have gained futher understanding of the issue. When "prevent access to drives" GPO is enabled the user no longer has access to their local 'downloads' folder. The restriction notice in response to clicking browse indicates that access to the downloads folder has been restricted. Clicking ok continues on to Explorer where the user can select any network share as a place to download files, but not the drives on the local computer.

If you select a network share folder then the restriction notice goes away when you repeat the process.

Thanks

Monday, November 26, 2012 1:49 PM