none
Windows 7 Screen resolution problem

Question

• Hi, I just installed Windows 7 and now it won't let me change the screen's resolution from 640 x 480. Also, it won't let me change it from 16-bit color when I could change both of these when I had XP.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:28 AM

Answers

• You must identify your video card first . If Windows recognizes only a "standard VGA" adapter, that means your card was not identified correctly and Windows applies a generic driver which only delivers the most basic functions (like in safe mode).
    You could try to uninstall the card via Device Manager, restart and look if "new hardware found" is able to recognize the card. If that doesn't work, you must find out the specs of your card yourself (pc manual, 3d party software like DriverMax, Everest, Sandra etc.). Without these specs, you won't get very far.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    • Marked as answer by Gyrra Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:24 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:20 AM
  • I just used DriverMax and found an update to my standard video adapter. It works perfectly now. Thanks to all who helped and replied. =]

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:59 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:02 PM

All replies

• That is usually a driver issue, update your video drivers at the manufacturers website to the most recent drivers.

Monday, November 16, 2009 8:26 AM
  • I have actually looked on my comp and found that I can change it to the needed 1024 x 768, but the colors would stay at 256. So far I have not found a driver that will let me get the size I need and optimum color.
    • Edited by Gyrra Monday, November 16, 2009 8:47 AM typo
    Monday, November 16, 2009 8:47 AM
  • How is the monitor being identified? Is the particular monitor given or is it identifyed as some sort of generic?

Tom
    Monday, November 16, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Is the adapter built into the MOBO or is it a stand alone card? If it is a stand alone card what kind and model is it?
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:50 PM
  • How is the monitor being identified? Is the particular monitor given or is it identifyed as some sort of generic?

Tom

Is the adapter built into the MOBO or is it a stand alone card? If it is a stand alone card what kind and model is it?

The model is Identified, but it says it's on a standard VGA graphics adaptor.

I'm not sure if it's stand-alone or not.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:11 AM
  • Hi,

It should be the video card driver problem.

I suggest updating BIOS and Chipset first.

If the issue persists, you can collect Screenshot of 256 color setting and upload it to the http://skydrive.live.com/ using your Live ID and I will check it:

Screenshot

========

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click Desktop on the left pane and then click "Save".

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:17 AM
  • You must identify your video card first . If Windows recognizes only a "standard VGA" adapter, that means your card was not identified correctly and Windows applies a generic driver which only delivers the most basic functions (like in safe mode).
    You could try to uninstall the card via Device Manager, restart and look if "new hardware found" is able to recognize the card. If that doesn't work, you must find out the specs of your card yourself (pc manual, 3d party software like DriverMax, Everest, Sandra etc.). Without these specs, you won't get very far.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    • Marked as answer by Gyrra Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:24 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:20 AM
  • I just used DriverMax and found an update to my standard video adapter. It works perfectly now. Thanks to all who helped and replied. =]

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:59 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:02 PM
  • After I find the driver, what do I do next.  Sorry to intrude, but I am having the exact same problem
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:11 AM
  • Hi everyone,

Sorry to butt in but I have the same problem.  I used have XP pro and installed windows 7 ultimate. I installed videocard&chipset drivers, windows7 is indentifying that is an LCD 1024x768 flatpanel laptop screen but when I goto 'Change your Screen resoloution', Resolution and colour mode is disabled.   I can't acess BIOS Setup either. I tied getting into BIOS by booting with NO hdd and causing keyboard error but neither get me into BIOS setup. When I had XP, same problem until welcome screen came

Problem with XP startup screen started when I booteed up computer with a belkin Wifi PCMIA Card.  It said one of the drivers for it excecuted an illegal operation and samll screen came eversince

I tried the solutions in this forum but none of solutions work for me    #Immediate help would be appreciated!!!

Dell inspiron 1100 series

Intel 840 graphics

Saturday, January 15, 2011 2:33 PM