none
Windows 8 Apps, like Bing or Windows Store or Maps say not connected to the internet

Question

• Hi I am trying to Troubleshoot a brand new Gateway Windows 8 computer for trying to connect the Metro Apps back to the internet, an unknown event occurred and my customer cannot get any of the Apps from the Start Menu to recognize the computer is connected to the internet. Bing shows "Not connected" in the upper right hand corner, Maps report that "you are not connected to the internet" and Microsoft Store reports there was a problem connecting to the server and 'try again'. Now then I open Internet explorer from the desktop and I can go anywhere on the internet I wish.

There are no proxy settings, Norton Antivirus is installed but I disabled the firewall as part of the troubleshooting process and I've attemted to restore the computer but it has failed for all three available dates. Computer has only been setup since January 3rd.

In response to the further unresponsive Milos

RE# 1 Tested Internet connection by simply opening Internet Explorer and browsing the internet

RE #2 "Brand new WIndows 8 Gateway computer" obviously preinstalled.

RE #3 Yes Microsoft Account created and logged into. So obviously AGAIN, the computer is connected to the internet.

RE #4 faulting application svchost.exe_stisvc, faulting module Ekaiowiazdrv.dll (which is a kodak file), faulting application svchost.exe_rasman faulting module rasppp.dll, exception code 0xc0000096, process id 0x3b0

App: Microsoft Bing did not launch within allotted time even 2486 and App: Windows Store did not launch within allotted time event 2486, however no app errors for Maps. Device manager is clean

RE #5 I AM an IT Professional

UPDATE TO THE PROBLEM:  Since I was receiving no help I did a "refresh" of the operating system and the connection in the metro apps worked ... for a few hours, then they died again so I did it again and they worked for the majority of the day, then after waking the computer up the next morning they were no longer working again.  Internet explorer says not connected, bing says offline, Store says no connection to the server and maps, again say offline. HOWEVER, new development is that the live tiles are updated???? hmmm....

Somebody please help!

Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:05 PM

All replies

• Hi I am trying to Troubleshoot a brand new Gateway Windows 8 computer for trying to connect the Metro Apps back to the internet, an unknown event occurred and my customer cannot get any of the Apps from the Start Menu to recognize the computer is connected to the internet. Bing shows "Not connected" in the upper right hand corner, Maps report that "you are not connected to the internet" and Microsoft Store reports there was a problem connecting to the server and 'try again'. Now then I open Internet explorer from the desktop and I can go anywhere on the internet I wish.

There are no proxy settings, Norton Antivirus is installed but I disabled the firewall as part of the troubleshooting process and I've attemted to restore the computer but it has failed for all three available dates. Computer has only been setup since January 3rd.

In response to the further unresponsive Milos

RE# 1 Tested Internet connection by simply opening Internet Explorer and browsing the internet

RE #2 "Brand new WIndows 8 Gateway computer" obviously preinstalled.

RE #3 Yes Microsoft Account created and logged into. So obviously AGAIN, the computer is connected to the internet.

RE #4 faulting application svchost.exe_stisvc, faulting module Ekaiowiazdrv.dll (which is a kodak file), faulting application svchost.exe_rasman faulting module rasppp.dll, exception code 0xc0000096, process id 0x3b0

App: Microsoft Bing did not launch within allotted time even 2486 and App: Windows Store did not launch within allotted time event 2486, however no app errors for Maps. Device manager is clean

RE #5 I AM an IT Professional

UPDATE TO THE PROBLEM:  Since I was receiving no help I did a "refresh" of the operating system and the connection in the metro apps worked ... for a few hours, then they died again so I did it again and they worked for the majority of the day, then after waking the computer up the next morning they were no longer working again.  Internet explorer says not connected, bing says offline, Store says no connection to the server and maps, again say offline. HOWEVER, new development is that the live tiles are updated???? hmmm....

Somebody please help!

In an attempt to eliminate the Norton as the culprit I restarted the Computer into safe mode with networking and the Metro Apps response to being opened is that this cannot be opened while using the built in Administrator Account please log in as another user and try again.  Really?
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:57 PM
  • Rather than using safe mode, try a clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135?wa=wsignin1.0

You might also want to run the apps troubleshooter at the bottom of this page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

Jerry

Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:43 PM
  • Ran the troubleshooter as you suggested and the apps now open, promptly close and display with an x on them in the bottom left corner of their tile, once this occurs any attemp to run the app results in a not that the app cant open and to check windows store - which still says we are not connected to the internet and cannot connect to the store
    • Proposed as answer by Janicelmwells Friday, August 23, 2013 12:45 PM
    Friday, February 15, 2013 1:10 AM
  • I'm having the exact same issue. I'm not very educated about computers. I just got a dell, and I only thought that apps were for I pads and phones until now. the apps were working when I fist got it home a couple days ago and now they're not connecting to the internet. I restored my computer, restarted my router and tried troubleshooting. My home screen menu lets me use internet explorer to access internet, and I have a connection. All of my apps that require internet say "not connected" when I try to open them. :( Hopefully you figure out what works so I can get my apps to open also!
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 5:45 AM
  • It is interesting that your apps worked for such a short time.  I purchased my desktop in the fall with Windows 8 on it and the Bing apps worked until this last weekend.  Now the news says it can not find its source, and the sports page is unchanged for three days.  Interestingly I also have a laptop that I bought in December that still works fine.  The only difference is that I updated the desktop to Windows 8.1.  My change from Windows 8 has been a rocky road.  Every time Microsoft pushes an update on to my machine it seems a program will not work.  (After one update my Visual Studio 2012 development software would not start because it became incompatible with Win 8, and required another update.)  Since the updates are automatic I is scary to me what might be included.  Also be careful about some of the solutions on how to fix the connections.  I tried a manual fix from Microsoft the other day and it changed the address of my proxy server (so I had no internet at all), and for some reason it uninstalled my Norton Anti-Viral.  All that was left was folder in the program files directory and it was empty.  Come on Microsoft setting up forums to let people wander around in the dark is not support.  This is your product that is not working, and your advertising that is not being seen.  Speak up, what is the problem!
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:34 PM
  • Similar problem. Had to do a soft reset windows8. Desktop internet works. Apps on start page eg news updates news from internet, however when app is opened it says internet offline. Same with Bing.

please help

Saturday, April 12, 2014 10:57 AM