none
Error state when installing LaserJet 1300 on Windows 8

Question

• I am trying to install my (very faithful) LaserJet 1300 on a new Windows 8(64 bit) machine (Dell Inspiron 3520)

I have installed using the PCL5 driver found on Windows Update, installing via 'add printers'.

When I try to print i get a 'Printer in Error State' message.

I have tried downloading the driver available on the website: it asks me for clearance to run but then appears to do nothing.    Reinstalling after this process does not change the error message.

I have tried using the cd which came with the printer. After following the process through it says it is unable to install the printer.

Any ideas on how i can get the printer to work

Friday, December 07, 2012 4:47 PM

Answers

•  I found the answer, just in case anyone has the same problem. 

I unplugged the printer,  uninstalled the device, and all drivers. I used 'uninstall programs' from the control panel to remove Dot 4

I downloaded and installed the correct driver (Dot4 file) from the HP website, for Windows 8 (64bit). 

I then plugged the printer in. 

I finally then had an automatic installation wizard start which found the correct driver and installed the printer. Works fine now.  Hurray!

Thanks for all your help.

Clarie

• Marked as answer by ClarieMiles Monday, December 10, 2012 1:59 PM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 1:59 PM

All replies

• Let the installation process find driver on Internet.  This is a way how to reveal legacy drivers.

Rgds

Milos

Sunday, December 09, 2012 8:39 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you remove the printer device in the Devices and Printers, then install the following driver to see how it will go:

Download drivers and software

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=238325&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=238320&swLang=8&swEnvOID=4131

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 10, 2012 6:00 AM
  • Hi Alex, 

I did as you suggested. The computer asked for permission to run the download which I gave. I then had 'Windows is configuring Dot4'.

After that, nothing happened i.e. no installation wizard started so I waited 5 minutes,  assumed the file had downloaded the correct driver  and re-ran add printer.  I installed using the 'add manually option' choosing HP laserjet 1300 as before. 

I have the same error message 'Printer in Error State'.

Have I gone wrong somewhere along this process?

Monday, December 10, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Let the installation process find driver on Internet.  This is a way how to reveal legacy drivers.

Rgds

Milos

Hi Milos, 

When you say let the installation process find the driver on the internet, do you mean use the 'Add a printer' option, and then select 'the printer I want isn't listed', then 'add a local printer with manual settings' and then choose the correct option from the list? Because this is what I have done. It installs, but I can not print as I get the message 'the Printer is in Error State'.

Is there another way of using the installation process to find the driver?

Clarie

Monday, December 10, 2012 1:31 PM
  •  I found the answer, just in case anyone has the same problem. 

I unplugged the printer,  uninstalled the device, and all drivers. I used 'uninstall programs' from the control panel to remove Dot 4

I downloaded and installed the correct driver (Dot4 file) from the HP website, for Windows 8 (64bit). 

I then plugged the printer in. 

I finally then had an automatic installation wizard start which found the correct driver and installed the printer. Works fine now.  Hurray!

Thanks for all your help.

Clarie

• Marked as answer by ClarieMiles Monday, December 10, 2012 1:59 PM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 1:59 PM