none
Cannot create vhd on RAID array Error "Unable to write to file"

Question

• I have a Windows 7 RTM Ultimate running on a 790FX-GD70 and a Phenom II X4 955
    My C Drive is a Raid 0 SSD Array
    My D Drive is a Raid 5 SATA Array
    Both arrays are controlled by the SB750 controller on the MB
    Windows is installed on C
    Users Profiles are on D

I have installed the Virtual PC RC and the XP Mode RC.

By default because VPCs are being created in my %UserProfile%\Virtual Machines they are being created on my D drive.

When I try to create a VPC I get to the point where the drive is being created and then get an error "Unable to write to file"
    If I create the VPC somewhere else on the D drive I get the same error "Unable to write to file"
    If I create the VPC on my C drive the process completes fine.
    If I create the VPC on my external ESATA connected drive it completes fine.

Are there additional drivers that I need to load so that Windows VPC can work with the RAID drive properly?
    Are there any tools to determine more specifically what the problem is?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    -Michael
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 3:01 AM

All replies

• No, this should just work.  I have a similar set up with my VMs all on my D: drive which is RAID5.
    What happens if you create the VM on the C: drive and then move or copy it to the D: drive?  Does that work?
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I can create a VM on my C drive in say C:\VPC then copy it to C:\Test. (I am just copying the files then editing the vmcx and vmc file manually. I don't know if there is a better way to do that or not) From one part of the C drive to another it works fine.

Then I copied the vhd and the vmc to D:\test. The copy works fine and I manually updated the vmcx and the vmc file again to reflect the new paths.

When I execute the vmcx file the first thing that happens is that the vmcx file is deleted then I get a file not found error "File not found File 'D:\Users\Michael\Virtual Machines\Test.vmcx' not found or access denied." Which makes sense becaus the file is gone. Why the file is gone I dont know.

When I try to execute the vmc directly on the D drive I get a different error

"'Test' could not be started because virtual hard drive disk-related error occured. This could be due to insufficient free space in the virtual hard disc file, lack of write access to the directory that contains the virtual machine configuration file or missing parent disc for a differencing virtual hard disc."

I have checked permissions on the directory, and they are fine, and it is not a differencing vhd, and if I copy it back to C it opens just fine, so not a a space issue.

-Michael
    Friday, October 02, 2009 3:44 AM
  • Hi, what is the disk's sector size ? I'm having the same problem and the only difference is that the new disk's sector size is 1024 bytes, as opposed to 512. I think there might be issues with VHDs and disk with larger sector sizes.
    You can check in msinfo32: Components\Storage\Disks
    Friday, February 12, 2010 3:39 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem, any solutions? Is it the sector size? Is there a way to fix that?
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 4:20 AM