none
Interface

Question

• I have a Seagate 1TB with a USB 3 cable and 2 PC's Desktop and Laptop both with Windows 7 wit h USB 2 ports. My intentions are to backup both PC's by connecting to each PC (1 at a time). My questions are 1) should I partition the External Drive and 2) will the USB 3 cable work on the 2 PC's and the External Drive? The user guide used a term USB 3 reverse capability with USB 2.
    Friday, March 23, 2012 3:54 AM

Answers

• Not sure why you posted this in a Microsoft Windows 7 forum since this is not an operating system problem at all.

This is a USB specification condition that is not dependent on the operating system at all.

All USB3 devices will plug into a USB2 port, but will be limited to the speed of the USB2 port.  You must have USB3 hardware for USB3 speed.

How you partition the drive is a personal preference.  If you want individual partitions for the two systems, then that's what you should do.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:48 PM