none
WMP cannot burn some of the files

Question

• Error said

To investigate the problem, click the icon next to the files in the burn list

Where is the icon next to the files in the burn list?

or How do I find out which files are not burning & the reason for that?

Monday, March 22, 2010 2:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Vivian,

You won't believe this but after sending my last message I went back to the WMP & clicked OK to remove the error.

It shifted all the tracks to the middle & highlighted the one it couldn't copy. I just removed it, replaced it with another & it all worked.

I will try to replicate it again & see what happens. Strange.

Regards & thanks for your help anyway.

Peter

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, April 01, 2010 8:48 AM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm what files you are trying to burn.

Please check if solutions on the following thread work:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7music/thread/15d2bd01-b5e6-4c4e-8af6-26bed5c546ec

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:58 AM
  • Hi Vivian,

I have already checked the protection & all the audio files are unprotected.

The thread you mentioned also asks where the icon is next to the files. It would at least help to know which ones are not burning but I can see no icon either.

Most of the files are mp3 but there are a couple of m4a files. When I just tried to burn 4 files (& stuffed up a CD) it was going to let one of these burn.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Peter

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:48 AM
  • test
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:58 AM
  • How?

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:02 AM
  • According to the error message, there should be a icon behind the file in Burn list. However, as I did not encounter this error, I am not sure the exact position. About the burn list, please refer to the picture in the following page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-in-Windows-Media-Player

If the issue persists, please test it in Clean Boot mode.

You can also try resetting Windows Media Player as below:

1. Open Control Panel/Programs and Features.
    2. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.
    3. Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Player". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

Note: If you turn off WMP, Windows Media Center will be turned off either. You may need to re-configure settings for Windows Media Center after re-enabling it.

4. Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center". Restart.
    5. Launch Windows Media Player, initialize the program.

If the issue persists, you can collect Screenshot of the error and upload it to the http://skydrive.live.com/ using your Live ID and I will check it:

Screenshot

========

1. If the error message appears, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click Desktop on the left pane and then click "Save".

Regarding SkyDrive:

1. As an important note, if you do not want others to access the uploaded files, when uploading the file, please expand the "Share with" box, choose "Select people...", and then type my Windows Live ID "v-vxin@hotmail.com" (without the quotation marks) in the Individual box. For detailed steps on how to upload files with SkyDrive, please refer to:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:42 AM
  • Hi Vivian,

I have been busy for the last few days so have just got round to this.

I tried the Clean Boot & resetting the Media Player but neither seemed to make a difference.

I hope you can view what I have put on Sky Drive

Regards,

Peter

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:59 AM
  • Hi Vivian,

You won't believe this but after sending my last message I went back to the WMP & clicked OK to remove the error.

It shifted all the tracks to the middle & highlighted the one it couldn't copy. I just removed it, replaced it with another & it all worked.

I will try to replicate it again & see what happens. Strange.

Regards & thanks for your help anyway.

Peter

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, April 01, 2010 8:48 AM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:22 AM
  • Hi,

Please let us know the know the link of your skydrive.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:04 AM
  • Hi Vivian,

I'm not sure how to do that.

I thought you were set up to view.

Peter

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 1:01 AM
  • Hi Peter,

It seems that your issue has been resolved. Please let us know if it reoccurred.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 8:49 AM
  • nothing is working it says to click the icon but there is no damn icon they are all unprotected still nothing this very irritating
    Saturday, April 03, 2010 9:47 PM
  • You said you corrected the problem, can you please tell me where the icon next to the burn list is. I need help!

Monday, May 10, 2010 12:17 AM
  • Hey hi guys, I've got the same error under Windows 7 Professionnal. Once I've clicked the "Start Burn" button, WMP shows me the following error : "Windows Media Player cannot burn some of the files. To investigate the problem, click the icon next to the files in the burn list." The problem is, I don't see any icons next to one of my playlist's MP3s. All my files are unprotected.

Thanks for the help!
    Dave

Monday, May 10, 2010 12:55 AM
  • Ok, I think I've nailed it. Bloody annoying but bare with me.

Copy across the files you want to burn & click on Start burn.

An error message appears "Windows Media Player cannot burn some of the files. To investigate the problem, click the icon next to the files in the burn list."

Click OK

Then on the left hand side of the screen click on "Blank Disk (:D)

The files you are trying to burn should appear. One or more should have a White X in a Red circle to it's left.

That or those are the files that won't burn. For my one I don't know why?

Just remove those that have that icon appearing & the burn should work.

Good luck & let us know if it works for you!

And for the Windows people. Find a better way of showing this. It was bloody annoying. It should come up when you click on the OK!!!! I found this by fluke!

Cheers,

Peter

• Proposed as answer by Bula Bone Monday, July 18, 2011 9:33 PM
    Monday, May 10, 2010 2:06 AM
  • Yes, it worked. Thank you so much. But I still want to know why it tells you there is an icon next to the burn list. It might just be an error with Windows. 

Anyways, thanks for the help. I will definetly have you guys in mind next time I encounter a similar problem.

Monday, May 10, 2010 3:12 AM
  • Hey thanks, but that doesn't really help me. I've clicked on an error icon and the only message each of the files I try to burn tells me is : "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while burning the file to the disc."

Bit rate of all files are in 320 Kbps, is this a possible cause of this error?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:36 AM
  • Hi,

I'm no computer guru, hence why I asked the question in the first place.

I just removed the file that wouldn't burn, still have no idea why it wouldn't.

How about some answers from the Microsoft people? Vivian?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:00 AM
  • Thanks so much. i had just encountered that same freakin problem. it is really annoying because with vista, the screen automatically went to the blank disc screen to show what was being burned. having to click on it is really annoying, especially when you never paid attention to where it was and what it was for in the first place. Thanks again :)
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:30 PM
  • This guy has it correct. Maybe Microsoft should make it a little more clear as to where these icons are at! JESUS!
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:04 PM
  • Thanks a bunch! That worked like a charm! I've been tryin' to figure this @#@#in problem out for two hours! Cheers :-)
    Friday, April 15, 2011 2:34 AM
  • THAT'S THE TICKET...

Thanks for that - it was the one file I was wanted to add...

Damn that these things are so hard to track down the problem to...

Tecmar

Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:11 AM
  • Scootsin..you're a genius! Never would have thought of that.

Hope you're takin notes Microsoft :P

Saturday, December 17, 2011 10:35 AM
  • This worked great for me. Absolutely no idea why it wouldn't burn and too lazy now to bother finding out why. Thx much Scoot.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Hey Vivian,

Your alternative idea on resolving this issues seems quite useful.

However I noticed that Windows Media Player is now becoming even securer with certain MP3 files to be burned on disc.

There is a solution for those who still wished to write music files on an audio CD. I downloaded this small application which is also for free (CDBurnerXP V3) and it works really well.

Here's the link below.

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/download-review/1955582/cdburnerxp-4382474

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

McNotts.

Friday, April 13, 2012 7:34 PM
  • thank you so much for your step by step guide as read many other posts of people apparently knowing the problem i was having. Yu saved my neck just in time as the cd i was trying to burn was for my daughters birthday party. Cheers mate :)
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:45 AM
  • THANK YOU!!!  This message should be at the top of the answers to the question.  I have been dealing with this problem for days trying to figure it out.  I was so happy to find the solution that I signed up for an account just to say THANK YOU lol!
    Friday, August 23, 2013 4:45 PM
  • there  is an icon on the left hand side of the screen click on "Blank Disk (:D)

The files you are trying to burn should appear. One or more should have a White X in a Red circle to it's left.

That or those are the files that won't burn. For my one I don't know why?

Just remove those that have that icon appearing & the burn should work.

Good luck & let us know if it works for you!

And for the Windows people. Find a better way of showing this. It was bloody annoying. It should come up when you click on the OK!!!! I found this by fluke!

Cheers,

Sunday, April 13, 2014 1:49 AM
  • Thanks, just an error with windows.

Sunday, April 13, 2014 1:51 AM
  • Worked for me, thank you VERY much!
    Tuesday, September 09, 2014 4:22 PM