none
Movie Maker 2.6 Can't Open Project File Created in 2.6

Question

• Hi.  For a while now I've been creating videos using Windows Movie Maker 2.6 due to the fact I hate how they look from Live Movie Maker when uploaded to a site such as blip.tv and YouTube, even on 16:9 settings...but that's another story.

Anywho, a few days ago I went looking for some script addons to let me do things such as watermarks or overlay images and found a pack I thought would work.  I installed it, noted that nothing on there would work for me, uninstalled it, and the bugger also uninstalled the executable for MM.  No biggie, just delete what's left and reinstall the program (both the same version of 2.6, which is like .4037 or something like that), and started another project the next day.  On that next day I was a tad bored and went to open a previous project, but now I can't open in...nor any other project...EXCEPT the one I had made previously that day.  Every time I try to open an older project I get the message "Windows Movie Maker cannot open this file", and that's it.  Basically to summarize...

1.) Created projects in Windows Movie Maker 2.6 in Windows 7.

2.) Installed script pack I found online to put in AddOnTFX folder, found nothing I liked, uninstalled it, which uninstalled the executable, and reinstalled WMM 2.6.

3.) Created new project, and saved it, but now no older projects will open.

4.) All files have a .MSWMM extension, and I have no System Restore points that go back that far to see  if that's what did it and if I can fix it.

So far I have found absolutely no answers to this issue.  I've reinstalled 2.6 numerous times, ran a registry cleaner, took off Windows Live Movie Maker (just in case), and nothing.  It's nothing that'll make-or-break anything, but it's really annoying, and any help is appriciated.

• Edited by NeoScyther Sunday, October 31, 2010 11:27 PM Misspelling of a word that might lead to confusion.
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 11:26 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

About Windows Movie Maker problem, I suggest you asking Windows Movie Makers Forum for further help:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wlmedia/threads

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 2:24 AM

All replies

• I have virtually the same problem. I have rebuilt my Windows 7 machine and have reinsalled MM2.6 as I too dislike Live Movie Maker. None of my previous MM2.6  .MSWMM files will load on my new MM2.6

This is most frustrating. I have found no answers either but I thought I'd post a rely to let you know you are not alone. Either in this particular problem or of your dislike of Live Movie Maker. ;-)

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

According to Microsoft Download Center,  Windows Movie Maker 2.6 is only for Windows Vista. You can refer:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=d6ba5972-328e-4df7-8f9d-068fc0f80cfc&displaylang=en

If install it on Windows 7 may cause unexpected issue. You can use supported Live Movie Maker to avoid additional issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 03, 2010 6:59 AM
  • Sorry for jumping into this!

I have several *.MSWMM projects built under Windows Movie Maker 2.6 that was on a Vista machine.

Copied these projects to a Windows 7 machine running Windows Live Movie Maker (latest release) and I get the following error message when I attempt to open the project:

Sorry, Movie Maker can't open this project file.  The file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted.  Please select a different project file.

The projects open fine from the USB drive on the Vista machine.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!

Dave

Thursday, November 04, 2010 2:10 AM
  • Hi all,

About Windows Movie Maker problem, I suggest you asking Windows Movie Makers Forum for further help:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wlmedia/threads

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Thursday, November 04, 2010 2:24 AM