none
Drivers for Win7 boot repair?

Question

• I run windows 7 64-bit on my 500 gig WD. I just re-installed XP pro 32-bit on my 500 gig Seagate for gaming on WIFI (it's better).

The problem is now I can't boot Windows 7 at all. It's all still there in-tact (not corrupted or anything) windows just doesn't recognize it when I boot.

I was hoping for the dual boot option either xp or win7 but it goes right into XP now...

I did unplug the XP hard drive to test the windows 7 installation alone. It does not recognize an installation of windows on that hard drive.

I found my Windows 7 disc and booted from it. I now need "drivers" to load so I can fix this problem. I have no idea where to look for these drivers.

I searched online and didn't find much. Please help me I know this is an easy fix with the right (.inf) file i think ... i just need to get it save it on flash drive then load it when boot disc asks for drivers.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 7:04 PM

Answers

• 1. Have you tried the step 2 mentioned above? It seems that the hard drive controller doesn't recognize the hard disk.  Do you happen to enable RAID in BIOS? If so, disable RAID.

2. Where did you get the Windows 7 installation disc? Did you burn it yourself? I found that some customers encountered this issue because of bad burning disc. If it is the case, you can re-burn it at a lower speed and perform the above step 3 to load the driver again.

BTW, please tell us the brand and model of your motherboard, make sure that the motherboard is updated.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 2:04 AM

All replies

• To install correctly and have a successful dual-boot you must install the older operating system first; in your case XP then Win7.

To get Win7 back download and install EasyBCD172 - search Google for it.

Install it in XP, run it and select Manage Bootloader and then select Bootloader Installation Options > Reinstall the Vista Bootloader.

It has not been updated for Win7 so the selection for Visat works just fine.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 10:47 PM
  • While you re-installed Windows XP, the boot entry is changed. You need to use BCDEdit to manually repair it. You can visit the following links for references:

Windows no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

Dual Boot Between Windows XP and Windows 7

Best Regards
    Dale
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Easy BCD did not work ...
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:47 PM
  • The command '' D:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All '' returned this error:

'D:\boot\Bootsect.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

So now I tried both avenues (I know I'm just doing something wrong) Could you direct me to a more idiot proof step by step?

Sorry I don't know what I'm doing.

(yes i did run CMD as admin so it wouldn't have any conflicting problems)
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:50 PM
  • 1. I just noticed that you installed Windows XP and Windows 7 on seperate hard drives. Generally, while you plug in more than one hard drives, you need to jump the hard drive, set one hard drive as a master drive and another one as a slave drive.

2. Check the hard disk controller in BIOS, if it is IDE, change it to AHCI mode.

3. Put in your Windows 7 disc,  click Install now, click Custom (advanced) and click Load Drivers during "Where do you want to install Windows".

4. About the above BCDEdit command, you'd better confirm that Windows 7 is installed on D drive. The command should be excuted from Windows 7 installation drive.

Best Regards
    Dale

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:25 AM
  • Dale,

Followed your instructions in  "3." and everything was going fine until it couldnt find the drivers on the disc.. i think its scratched or something idk. Can you download these from somewhere or is that going to be a problem. I'm sure i could find another copy of win7 online somewhere, like an .iso 

the exact message was:

"No signed device drivers were found.  Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK"

btw thanks for your help.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:07 PM
  • 1. Have you tried the step 2 mentioned above? It seems that the hard drive controller doesn't recognize the hard disk.  Do you happen to enable RAID in BIOS? If so, disable RAID.

2. Where did you get the Windows 7 installation disc? Did you burn it yourself? I found that some customers encountered this issue because of bad burning disc. If it is the case, you can re-burn it at a lower speed and perform the above step 3 to load the driver again.

BTW, please tell us the brand and model of your motherboard, make sure that the motherboard is updated.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 2:04 AM
  • Both Hard drives are SATA

Mobo: EVGA 780i SLI

yeah i bought win7 from my tech. cousin's PC store who just printed off a serial for me and burned a copy... i think he took it back since I'm probably not supposed to have that on hand =) so i don't know where to get a new copy to re-burn the dvd. 

(i can access the drive in "my computer" as just another storage space)

but i need to get my hands on those drivers otherwords I'm re-installing win7 again...
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:19 AM
  • Download Windows 7 System Recovery disc.

Please note: we provide the 3rd party link for technical use only. There may be some changes without notice, Microsoft doesn't guarantee any accuracy on contacting information.

Best Regards
    Dale

Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:14 AM