I have new hardware as follows:

Asus P5QC
    Core 2 Duo
    Kingston DDR2 - 2 gigs
    Samsung 500gig HD
    NVIDIA video card
    Network connected

Running Ubuntu

I tried to install Windows 7 over Ubuntu and it said the file system was wrong - wouldn't allow install.

I installed SUN xVM Virtual Box, and Windows 7 would install, but it wouldn't connect to the network.

It's a "virgin" system and I would have no problems erasing Ubuntu and starting from scratch with Windows 7 - but I can't.

Any suggestions?

Saturday, January 24, 2009 1:26 PM

Answers

• Houston! We have a solution!

Persistence is a virtue!

OK, for all of you who have an ASUS board, and have just tried to install Windows 7 "virgin" (no prior OS),

I found that Windows 7 will not "run" the ASUS motherboard setup disk, BUT! it will read it!

So, if you don't have a network connection, go to the hardware setup and install the LAC Drivers.

When it asks where the drivers are, put the ASUS disk in the DVD and go down to the subdirectory for LAN 36 bit controller

and it should install without a hitch.

Hooray!

And I thank you all for your excellent help!!!

We have a GREEN checkmark!

• Marked as answer by Tim.spqr Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:37 AM
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:37 AM

All replies

• The virtual machine is a completely different kind of computer. So your personal hardware may not be the problem, but more relevant may be an issue with the virtual machine's network card. I believe that Sun's Virtual Box allows you to use an alternate network card for your machine. You have to have the machine OFF before you make changes to the machine hardware configuration settings.

Try this and get back to the forum.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:35 PM
  • Tim.spqr said:

I tried to install Windows 7 over Ubuntu and it said the file system was wrong - wouldn't allow install.

Does the Windows 7 installation run at all? It sounds to me you just have to delete the old Linux partition and have the installer automagically create a fresh NFTS partition.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:53 PM
  • Frop said:

Tim.spqr said:

Does the Windows 7 installation run at all? It sounds to me you just have to delete the old Linux partition and have the installer automagically create a fresh NFTS partition.

I'll provide a bit more context.

All new hardware, Ubuntu is the only thing on the system - it's never seen a Windows OS.

If I try to run the .iso file from Ubuntu I get an error saying it can't run it.

I then went back to "Setup" and changed the boot sequence to my DVD first, then the HD.

When I reboot, it reads the Windows 7 disk, starts the install, I click all the appropriate boxes (license, etc), I do a "Custom" install,
    but when I get to the screen on "install on partition" it says it cannot install on any of the partitions.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 3:17 PM
  • Tim.spqr said:

When I reboot, it reads the Windows 7 disk, starts the install, I click all the appropriate boxes (license, etc), I do a "Custom" install,

but when I get to the screen on "install on partition" it says it cannot install on any of the partitions.

If I'm not mistaken you should also be presented with a few labeled icons to create, delete and format said partitions.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 3:22 PM
  • I found this tutorial on how to set up Win7 in the latest Ubuntu (I assume that is what you are running?) to run a Virtualbox Virtual Machine. It sounds like that is what you are trying to accomplish. 

Windows 7 Beta VirtualBox Install hosted on Ubuntu 8.10

Now if you are trying to install Win7 OVER Ubuntu (that is overwrite Ubuntu completely), then you will need delete the Ubuntu partitions and create a Windows partition using your the Win7 partition partition manager during installation or using your favorate partition manager (ie, Partition Magic, Parted Pagic, GParted, etc).

Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:57 PM
  • Thank you all VERY much.
    I have part of the problem solved.

I needed to trash all of the previous partitions and reformat them.
    The Windows 7 installed without major issues.

My only problem now is getting the network connections for my ASUS P5QC -
    The disk for it doesn't work under Windows 7.

So what I learned was:

1. The rumor about Windows 7 needing a prior version of Windows pre-installed is incorrect.
    2. You must repartition your drives if you have a non-Windows OS.

Thank you all VERY VERY much!!!!

Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:50 PM
  • You'll find the latest drivers for your network adapter below.

Atheros L1e Utility V1.1.0.3 for Windows 32/64bit XP, 32/64bit Vista.(WHQL)

Run the installer in Vista compatibility mode and as an administrator. Right mouse click on the executable -> Properties -> Compatibility (tab) -> Check both 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows Vista' and 'Run this program as an administrator'.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:56 PM
  • Frop said:

You'll find the latest drivers for your network adapter below.

Atheros L1e Utility V1.1.0.3 for Windows 32/64bit XP, 32/64bit Vista.(WHQL)

Run the installer in Vista compatibility mode and as an administrator. Right mouse click on the executable -> Properties -> Compatibility (tab) -> Check both 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows Vista' and 'Run this program as an administrator'.

Bad news.

1. I took a laptop and turned off the WAN. Connected it to the relevant network cable, and it worked fine.

2. I downloaded the driver from the website, unzipped and copied it over to a new directory (c:\data\utilities)

3. There are two exe programs, and for both I clicked "properties" "compatability" and changed them to VISTA and ran them and rebooted three times. No go.

4. I then changed compatability to XP (SP2), reran and rebooted three times. No go.

It seems to be a board-level problem, because the Windows trouble-shooter comes back with an IMMEDIATE problem, so it's not even getting out to the switch.

I'll hunt around some more.

Thanks VERY VERY much!!! At least I have it installed now, now I just need to connect to the real world! :-)

Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Houston! We have a solution!

Persistence is a virtue!

OK, for all of you who have an ASUS board, and have just tried to install Windows 7 "virgin" (no prior OS),

I found that Windows 7 will not "run" the ASUS motherboard setup disk, BUT! it will read it!

So, if you don't have a network connection, go to the hardware setup and install the LAC Drivers.

When it asks where the drivers are, put the ASUS disk in the DVD and go down to the subdirectory for LAN 36 bit controller

and it should install without a hitch.

Hooray!

And I thank you all for your excellent help!!!

We have a GREEN checkmark!

• Marked as answer by Tim.spqr Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:37 AM
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:37 AM