none
Dell Studio DVD Drive missing after installing windows 7

Question

• Upgraded from Vista x64 to Windows 7 this morning and now my DVD drive soes not show up.

A check under control panel say "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 6:39 PM

Answers

• sgscomps said:

Upgraded from Vista x64 to Windows 7 this morning and now my DVD drive soes not show up.

A check under control panel say "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

Unfortunately that's a bug in the upgrade process for Vista x64 currently. To work around it, press [F8] on boot and disable driver signing checking. The drives will show up.
    http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/ - https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Aaron.Tiensivu
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:05 PM

All replies

• sgscomps said:

Upgraded from Vista x64 to Windows 7 this morning and now my DVD drive soes not show up.

Unfortunately that's a bug in the upgrade process for Vista x64 currently. To work around it, press [F8] on boot and disable driver signing checking. The drives will show up.
    http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/ - https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Aaron.Tiensivu
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:05 PM
  • Aaron,

Thanks, my DVD drive is back and working!

Scott
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:33 PM
  • This is a horrible work around.  While it works, requiring the end user to press F8 on boot up is ridiculous.  Is there not another way to fix this? 
    Monday, April 12, 2010 5:15 AM
  • I had the same problem with my Dell Studio.  My laptop would not recognize my dvd drive after I installed Windows 7.  My dvd drive would read a disk for a minute, then it would go silent and would stop reading the disk. 

I spent more than 8 hours with Dell tech support over the span of 4 days.  They didn't know what they were doing.  Long story short, don't call Dell.  The folks in India who operate the call center are nice and truly want to help.  They simply don't know what they're doing.

I got around this problem by downloading drivers from Dell's website.  Look for the driver labeled, XD13Win.  Once you've downloaded the drivers, you need to slide in a dvd/cd into the drive.  If your issue is like mine, your drive will hum, reading the disk, for a good 30 - 60 seconds before it sputters out.  It's during this time (i.e., when the drive is working) that you need to double click on the driver. 

I am not technically savvy whatsoever.  What I discovered is that the downloaded driver won't install unless it recognizes the right hardware on your computer.  My dvd drive was not being recognized by my computer.  My work around was to slide a disk into the drive to get the dvd drive recognized by my laptop.  This caused the dvd drive to be recognizable, hence the driver installed and my computer is now working just fine. 

If you have a drive in your laptop and need to get it out.  Turn off your computer and restart.  While the computer is booting up, hit the eject button.  That worked for me.  Then, go through the steps I described above. 

This is a horrible inconvenience.  I wish Dell and Microsoft would do something to make it easier for the vast majority of users who, like me, are not super savvy. 

Good luck everyone.

Monday, August 02, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Thanks mate, that worked like a charm (having this problem in 2011 with Windows 7, but still same issues). Sounds like some stupid DRM to me dressed up as security. I ought to be able to download a driver from my manufacturer and install it and have it work. This is why I only use Windows for games. At least in Linux you get your hardware problems up front. Only in Windows does hardware go from working to not. What a load of shit.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Has absolutely nothing to do with DRM.  It a problem of hardware compatibility with Windows 7.  This is the first time I have seen where someone was able to fix it with a driver as described.  Some oprical drives actually require a firmware update for Windows 7 to recognize it.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Does any one find a permanant solution now ?
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:40 PM
  • MartinF514 wrote on 2013.02.02:

Does any one find a permanant solution now ?

A permanent solution to what?

You have not expounded on exactly what your problem is.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, February 02, 2013 10:51 PM