none
windows 7 ISO download problem with installation

Question

• I have now taken 10 ISO downloads from the MS Partner Network which has literally taken days of my life away. I have tried to install from a bootable DVD through to mounting the ISO and moving the files to a bootable USB disk. Each and every time I get the missing CD/DVD drivers error when trying to boot (absolute rubbish as I am using the DVD to do the boot) or when trying to run set up from within Vista I get the SPWIZENG.DLL is either not designed to run on Windows error. I have tried to obtan help from Microsoft and they refuse to acknowledge my problem (and that of so many people who seem to experience the same problem) without coughing up £200 for a support package. So I am left with software that I have paid for and I cannot even get to download. I am assuming that the problem is with the ISO download.

Fantastic way to distribute your software Microsoft (really well planned ) well done!.. Please feel free to sense a whole laod of sarcasm in this statement.

I am not expecting anything useful to come back from MS on this as no body else seems that interested.. after all, I am just a small business, so doesn't really  matter if we don't get the service.

Sunday, May 02, 2010 1:51 PM

Answers

• I'm not a subscriber to the MS partner network. (I am, in fact, an amateur.)

The "missing CD/DVD drivers" thing is sometimes the result of a corrupt DVD. I believe that the same applies to spwizeng.dll. If you're using a bootable USB flash drive rather than the DVD, I suppose that the .iso itself must be corrupt.

Does the partner network list hash codes, so that you can verify your downloads?

(I didn't need to do that, on my downloads from the US MS Store last October. IE8, with the ActiveX download manager plug-in, worked without errors.)

Sunday, May 02, 2010 4:41 PM

All replies

• I'm not a subscriber to the MS partner network. (I am, in fact, an amateur.)

The "missing CD/DVD drivers" thing is sometimes the result of a corrupt DVD. I believe that the same applies to spwizeng.dll. If you're using a bootable USB flash drive rather than the DVD, I suppose that the .iso itself must be corrupt.

Does the partner network list hash codes, so that you can verify your downloads?

(I didn't need to do that, on my downloads from the US MS Store last October. IE8, with the ActiveX download manager plug-in, worked without errors.)

Sunday, May 02, 2010 4:41 PM
  • bobkn, thanks for your response and suggestions. I agree that the problem must be with the ISO as it happens on the USB disk and I have got through so many DVDs to test burn speeds. I have downloaded 10 ISOs with Chrome, Firefox but the activex download manager tries for 5 seconds and the resume button highlights to suggest that the download has paused or stopped. I cannot find any hash keys to check the integrity of the downloaded files. I cannot see how else I can download the files? It is a 4-5 hour download time for me so it consumes my time having to experiment like this.

I run a software company and would consider myself to have a fairly good technical knowledge. How on earth would any non technical person deal with this?

Sunday, May 02, 2010 8:17 PM