Windows Media Player won't open

Question

• Windows Media Player opens once during a Windows session. After closing WMP, it will refuse to open again. When opening a file that opens with WMP, a message comes back saying Server Execution Failed.  This is a clean install with no additional software installed. The only thing is that the media library uses files over a network share.

Edit:
    Event viewer gives this error after the server execution message is displayed.
    The server {ED1D0FDF-4414-470A-A56D-CFB68623FC58} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 9:32 PM

Answers

• I had the same problem ...

I just opened the task manager and sow "IME" program not responding

end it by task manager

and everything goes alright

Windows 7 RTM 7600 x64

Motherboard Asus P5Q with built in sound card
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:48 AM
  • If you wanted to remove WMP in order to reinstall it,use the Turn Windows Features On or Off control panel and deselect Windows Media Player under Windows Features.

If it's getting "stuck" on shutdown, that does tend to indicate that something is breaking during the shutdown process.  What devices are attached to the system?  Does it get stuck if you simply open and close it without playing anything?
    Monday, February 01, 2010 9:44 PM
  • Here's what I did, and it solved my problem:

1) Opened WMP

2) Went to menu Tools>Options>Network Tab>Streaming Proxy Settings Section

3) Configured any listed streaming protocol (HTTP/RTSP) to "Do not use a proxy server". 

My setting when the problem was occurring was that HTTP was set to "Use proxy settings of the Web Browser"  This, apparently, was causing the problem.

Applicable O/S: Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1 (Build 7600)

Friday, March 19, 2010 7:36 AM

All replies

• Really? No else is having this problem?
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:36 AM
  • This is the first *I've* heard of anything like this.  It tentatively says to me that the player isn't able to shut down cleanly.  Historically this has meant a driver wasn't shutting down cleanly.

What video card and audio card do you have?
    Does it shut down and reopen cleanly if you only play one music file? 
    When it won't open, if you go to Task Manager and click on the Processes tab and click "Show Processes from all users", is wmplayer.exe listed? 

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:13 AM
  • Video card: Intel GMA 4500MHD
    Audio card: Not much information, but its Altec Lansing/Conexant HD Audio

It won't reopen with just one file either. In task manager, it will show up for a few seconds, then close. After closing WMP, when I try to open any file that opens with WMP, I get the server execution failed message and the DCOM message listed above in event viewer.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:23 AM
  • I have a similar problem.  Playing a video (.AVI movie clip from a camcorder) it will eventually time out with "server execution failed" and the same event as in the top entry here - ie identical server name (ED1D0FDF-4414-470A-A56D-CFB68623FC58).  Once it's timed out I can try again and there's no problem.  This doesn't happen on the same PC when booted with XP Pro.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:24 AM
  • Is the network share your connecting to in a homegroup or a domain and what O/S?
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:35 PM
  • The share is on a Ubuntu Server.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:03 AM
  • It might be worth looking into whether or not Ubuntu supports Link layer Topology,  sometimes I run into similar problems with down level Microsoft clients accessing Vista/Windows 7 shares. They'll gain access but then will lose it.  All research I've done into this(at least in the Microsoft world points to Link Layer Topology. 
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:31 PM
  • I'm having the Exact same problem, today i logged in and when i click on the windows media player icon in the task bar... nothing happens at all not even that message (server execution failed.)

then when i click on individual files such as: mpg's, avi's or mp3's that message comes up "server execution failed"  it just wont work!!

please help,
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:25 AM
  • This is the first *I've* heard of anything like this.  It tentatively says to me that the player isn't able to shut down cleanly.  Historically this has meant a driver wasn't shutting down cleanly.

What video card and audio card do you have?
    Does it shut down and reopen cleanly if you only play one music file? 
    When it won't open, if you go to Task Manager and click on the Processes tab and click "Show Processes from all users", is wmplayer.exe listed? 

hey im having the same problem and nothing works,

i have win 7 CE, and R4350 radeon
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:29 AM
  • This to me would indicate that WMP is actually still running on your system - does it show up in the Processes tab as "wmplayer.exe"?  It's possible something else such as the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service is keeping the player partly open.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:40 AM
  • I am having the same problem.  Windows media worked okay initially after installation but with no changes that I'm aware of has quit.  I get server execution error eventially but I also get a Default IME not responding.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:42 AM
  • Same problem here. Not using a network for the media files - everything is local to a single machine. Started happening with RC, but initially was somewhat random. Now it happens with pretty much every media file I double-click on or right-click and select Play. The error message takes about 60 seconds to appear after clicking.

I just now realized I can no longer even open WMP. The last time I used it was a week ago and it was working fine by launching the program directly. Now it launches but the window contains nothing (all white space) and the "spinning" (wait) cursor appears (and never goes away). A reboot seems to fix the problem, but it comes back later for no apparent reason.

Sunday, June 21, 2009 1:56 AM
  • I can't say I've had this problem since doing a clean install of RC. This problem occurred for me with build 7057 and up. It seems that Microsoft has made a patch for it. I am not sure I can say it was an issue with the program itself; maybe it was a corruption in the registry. The only thing I've noticed since RC was installed is that WMP will not reopen immediately after being closed (shows the same symptoms as the problem listed; appears to attempt to launch but fails). After about 10 seconds, it will reopen. Also, this does not seem to be related to a network issue.
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:09 AM
  • I'm having the same problem. The only way I'm able to get around it is to open the file in media center and then try again with media player. I have also had some luck with closing the wmplayer.exe file in task manager, and try it again and it will work most of the time.   my system specs are: amd athlon 64 x2 proc 4200+ 2.20ghz, 4gig ram, nvidia 8000 series video chipset, and im am on the 7100 rc version of win 7.
    also a side note: i am accessing all of these files off of a internal hdd.

Thursday, October 01, 2009 1:58 AM
  • Have you tried having Windows Update look for newer drivers, specifically for the audio card? This is where I would start personally based on past experiece with Vista. You can also try going to the manufacturer's website to see if they have an updated driver for Windows 7 available. If you need to find out what hardware your soundcard is you can click on start menu and type "devmgmt.msc" with the quotes in the search box. Look under "Sound, video, and game controllers" to identify your sound card. It could be built in Intel HD Audio device or maybe a Realtek device (both have updated drivers for Windows 7 for a lot of their hardware now) as an educated guess since you have Intel GMA 4500MHD video.

Might help to go to your mainboard manufacturer website or if it is a laptop to their website and search for updated drivers their also.
    • Edited by TCD Thursday, October 01, 2009 3:58 AM edited for clarity
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 3:58 AM
  • I've got the same problem on Windows 7 - "Server Execution Failed". Both running on my personal account and as Administrator. And although "Google is my friend" this time it can't cough up the correct solution.

For testing purposes I installed the KMplayer which comes with its own codecs on board, just to see if maybe a codec was broken - but this gives the same error.

Next, I installed Nero 9 because I needed to bake a DVD, and this came with its own videoplayer as well. I decided to try this too, and for some reason all my videofiles CAN be played in Nero Showtime. It's not my favorite player but hey, it works and therefore it sames me from having to do a full re-install.

Hope this workaround saves other people's asses too ;-))) 

Have fun!

• Proposed as answer by lickabyte Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:40 AM
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:24 PM
  • You can save a full re-install through simply uninstalling and reinstalling the player using Turn Windows Features On or Off.  That might not fix it, but -- it does avoid a full re-install if that's the path you wanted to take.

What happened before this started happening?

Does "sfc /scannow" from "cmd.exe" run as administrator find any problems... ?

Is this against the RC (7100) or RTM (7600) build?
    Monday, October 12, 2009 7:26 PM
  • I had the same problem ...

I just opened the task manager and sow "IME" program not responding

end it by task manager

and everything goes alright

Windows 7 RTM 7600 x64

Motherboard Asus P5Q with built in sound card
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:48 AM
  • HI also have this problem, Asus Maximus Formula MB with latest F/W, Nvidia 8800GT 4GB ram, 2 maxtor disk mirrored, also have latest intel drv for ICHR9,

I get the same result, cant start Wmv, and it whont make small icons of my sound or video files in browser..
    I got the swedish version W7 Pro x64

"Servern {ED1D0FDF-4414-470A-A56D-CFB68623FC58} registrerades inte med DCOM inom erforderlig timeout."

hmm noticed that now it whont load up explorer or any disk browser.. I have to kill the power reboot and then
    raid fails degrading one disk (not always the same) and I have to make it OK and then it rebuilds the raid in
    three hours.. than all is ok for some days.. then it all starts over again.. NOO disk are OK, run severall burnin tests for hours..

THIS is one or two problem as I see it.. Intel/Ms raid drv problem and/or wmv problem,
    raid drv problem is known on google.. but no fix.. neither Intel or MS hade said anything about this
    other than, Its not our fault, you either screwed it up or its the other companys fault, according to google.

anyone got any hints..
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Same problem with me. I only just bought this PC with windows 7.

Ran windows media player three times fine, now it doesn't work. also when i click on individual files such as: mpg's, avi's or mp3's that message comes up "server execution failed" 

Any one got another solution or an I going to have to send this back and go for Apple, cause I bet they don't have these sort of problems.

____ !!!, want my old PC back...

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:53 PM
  • @dsj: Does disabling the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and rebooting get you working again?
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:20 PM
  • I've having this same problem. I narrowed it down - that it only occurs after the machine has gone to "sleep" and been woken up - before that audio is just fine from Windows Media Player.

The machine is a Shuttle SA76G2 with an AMD Phenom II 940 with 4 gigs of ram.

So when I reinstalled Windows 7 - it installed a driver for the sound device on its own - and it seemed to work just fine, until the machine went to sleep - then I had the same issue as everyone above.

I updated the driver to the realtek one on Shuttle's site - that didn't solve it, but instead of getting the error above now the app crashes citing blackbox.dll as the faulting module :/. Sometimes the machine gets stuck in a loop where it seemingly hangs too.

Whats wierd is other apps (not Windows media player) seem to work just fine when coming out of sleep - for example I tested VideoLan.

I did try disabling "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" - that had no effect.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:35 PM
  • I've been experiencing this same problem. It seems that most people here are using the 64 bit version of Windows 7 (me included).

Symptom: Once WMP 12 is opened and closed, it won't open again, regardless of "killing" it's process via Task Manager or performing a logoff. It will only open again only once after a reboot, then the problem reocurs.

I've tried almost every suggestion on this thread (Windows Update, driver update, 'sfc /scannow'). I couldn't remove WMP from Windows instalation and I haven't tried a full Windows reinstall.

I never enabled media sharing. It is still turned off.

The problem happens even if energy saving features (such as sleep) never occurs.

I also note that Media Center works fine, as well as the WMP preview on Outlook 2007.

Here are the basic specs of my system:
    Windows 7 Ultimate RTM 7600 x64
    Intel Core 2 Quad 2400
    6 GB RAM
    nVidia GeForce 8600 GT 256 MB
    (Two sound cards)
    Realtek HD Audio (on-board, certified for Windows Vista)
    C-Media PCI Audio Device (it doesn't matter if I fisically remove this board)
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 5:51 PM
  • If you wanted to remove WMP in order to reinstall it,use the Turn Windows Features On or Off control panel and deselect Windows Media Player under Windows Features.

If it's getting "stuck" on shutdown, that does tend to indicate that something is breaking during the shutdown process.  What devices are attached to the system?  Does it get stuck if you simply open and close it without playing anything?
    Monday, February 01, 2010 9:44 PM
    I tried that, but after rebooting WMP (as well as WMC) were still installed. I figured that the uninstall was impossible and never tried again.
    When pressing the close button WMP leaves the screen and the taskbar. Checking on Task Manager I can see it is still running. If I try to reopen it, nothing happens. But if I kill the process and try to reopen WMP, it's frame is displayed, but with no contents and the mouse is shown with the busy symbol.

This behavior happens even if I just open and close WMP, even in an account with no media on it's gallery.

If it is the first time I open WMP, it works perfectly. It plays audio, video and visualisations. If I close it, I have to reboot the system to open it again.

By the way, only once WMP worked well, openning and closing several times. I was never able to replicate or even identify which conditions were particular to that moment. It never happened again.

Currently I have:
    a DVD recorder,
    a SATA HD,
    a card reader,
    1.44 MB floppy disk drive,
    one Microsoft bluetooth adapter (Microsoft Mouse Presenter 8000),
    on board and PCI USB controllers,
    one ASUS remote controller receiver (with no drivers working),
    Realtek on board HD audio controller (certified for Vista)
    C-MEDIA PCI audio controller (doesn't matter if I fisically remove this board)
    nVidia GeForce 8600 GT 256 MB
    2 Gigabit LAN and 1 Wi-Fi adapters (all on board)

It should be noted that this same system worked fine with Windows XP Professional 32 bits, and it also was equiped with a TV tunner board which no longer is supported and has been removed.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 3:16 AM
  • Had you tried uninstalling while it was in "stuck" mode, or when it was in the still-working mode?
    If you're unable to uninstall, something is obviously amiss.  Have you tried running "sfc /scannow" from cmd.exe run As Administrator?

If you detach everything detachable, does it still hang?

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:55 PM
  • THe problem will appear if:

1) You run Windows Media Player with administration context
    2) Then play any of mp3 files

Thank you Micro$oft. You do a great JOB!!!
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 1:06 PM
  • ^-- Within that context, you're kind of deliberately creating that issue.  The shell is operating at a lesser privilege level, and thus cannot talk to the Player run as administrator.  If you do want to do your step #1, you would need to only access WMP from other elevated / administrative context processes.  The simple fix is to restart WMP or the calling process at the same privilege level.

You would have this problem with any single-instance application when running across privilege levels.

Why would you run the Player as administrator anyways... ?
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 6:32 PM
  • Hello zachd,

Had you tried uninstalling while it was in "stuck" mode, or when it was in the still-working mode?
    I tried again to uninstall WMP after a boot, without ever starting WMP (still-working mode). The installation requests a reboot. Upon logoff, Windows reports update in progress until 30% then reboots. Upon reboot, the update continues for a couple of minutes until it reads 99% complete, then it reports that the update was unsucessfull and rolls back to the restore point. WMP remains installed.
    If you're unable to uninstall, something is obviously amiss.  Have you tried running "sfc /scannow" from cmd.exe run As Administrator?
    Yes, it was one of the first things I've tried. I read your posts along this thread and it seemed as one of the first things to try.

If you detach everything detachable, does it still hang?

I detached everything. And in this process I remembered I also have a Microsoft VX-3000 webcam with the most recent drivers installed. Anyway, after all this the problem continues.

By the way, I had to prevent KB977074 from running on Windows Update. Everytime it tries to install itself, either by Windows Update or by manual download and installation, it is always unsucessfull. It reboots, tries to install up to about 99% than reports failure and rolls back to the previous restore point. Other than this, everything on Windows Update is installed.
    Monday, February 08, 2010 4:31 PM
  • THe problem will appear if:

1) You run Windows Media Player with administration context
    2) Then play any of mp3 files

Thank you Micro$oft. You do a great JOB!!!

The problem occurs for me if I run it normally...

And for MS - this is a brand new Windows 7 install with no additional apps. The only 3rd party driver I installed myself was for the ATI video card (AMD 760G) to try to resolve an annoying (but unrelated probably) AERO issue (Aero stops working after the machine goes to sleep state).
    Monday, February 08, 2010 5:38 PM
  • I'm also having this problem - no network involved (because that doesn't work right either) and trying to play movie files. Works great the first time, then "Server Execution Failed" whatever that means. I think that "Media Player Classic" might be in my future.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:34 PM
  • If you're hitting this message:
    If you go to Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and click Show Processes From All Users: does wmplayer.exe show up in that list?

You should only be getting this message if the player is still running in some fashion.  This is abnormal and indicative of something awry with your system that the player is falling victim to.  This kind of thing is hard to troubleshoot randomly over a forum, but I'd probably suggest something like downloading the Windows Debugging SDK, running WMP under windbg, closing WMP ... and then WMP should *not* be closing at that point.  At which point, break into the debugger and save out the dump, then upload that and post the URL....

It'd probably be better to get the iDNA (time travel debugging) trace, but -- the above is probably the minimum set of data that might be illuminative, as opposed to hunt and peck "what is different about your system than several other million systems" questions.

Alternatively, actual support may have better email / "remote" troubleshooting skills.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:25 PM
  • @Angel: Aero stopping working if the machine goes into sleep state might very well be related, given that what is most likely happening is that during the player shutdown one of the system devices the player is interfacing with isn't allowing a clean shutdown.  If you're seeing elsewhere that a device isn't shutting down or waking up correctly, it would be fairly logical to believe that the two might be related.  Again, hard to say without actually being able to debug the machine, but -- at face value, that's the only suspicious element you've mentioned.

@Cassiano: At that point it would be interesting to look into the system setup logs and figure out why the uninstall is failing.  You probably would want to run the uninstall again and then look at the tail end of c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log (potentially only accessible as administrator).  That file will likely be behemoth: skipping down to the current date (such as 2010-02-11 ) will likely help you ignore much of it.  In the following block there should be the internal error that the WMP uninstall ran into.
    I would be lightly suspicious of hard drive failure at this point, and would probably suggest running chkdsk.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:46 PM
  • Zach, wmplayer is indeed running on my system. Is there any diagnostic that will determine why it didn't shut down properly.

Incidently, were I to shut down Windows now, it would hang at the "logging off" stage, perhaps further indication that something is waiting for something else to complete.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 1:00 AM
  • Yeah, that's probably quite related.  In my previous response I mentioned how to get the data that would be required to sort through to figure something like this out.  I personally don't know of better diagnostics, but then again I'm not in support myself so wouldn't know their toolset. I debug everything. :)
    Friday, February 12, 2010 2:10 AM
  • I have been having this problem off and on for a long time.  It is much worse after the latest windows updates.  It happens when the computer is just sitting here and reverts to the "locked" screen.  After a restart wmp works and continues to work until idle for a time and reverting to "locked".  After coming out of "locked" wmp fails to start.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:33 PM
  • @Angel: Aero stopping working if the machine goes into sleep state might very well be related, given that what is most likely happening is that during the player shutdown one of the system devices the player is interfacing with isn't allowing a clean shutdown.  If you're seeing elsewhere that a device isn't shutting down or waking up correctly, it would be fairly logical to believe that the two might be related.  Again, hard to say without actually being able to debug the machine, but -- at face value, that's the only suspicious element you've mentioned.
    Too bad I don't live in Seattle anymore ;) - I would be more than happy to drop it off where you work :).
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:02 PM
  • I'm also having the same problem, ever since I installed Windows 7 -- clean 64 bit install, with all drivers up to date.  Searching several weeks ago, I read somewhere that it could be an issue with the sound card driver.  Reinstalling it fixed the problem for some.  It also fixes it for me, but only for a short time, after which the issue returns.  WMP starts (I can see it in Processes), but it never opens and won't play the chosen video.  However, as previously mentioned, it will work when using preview mode in an email.  I've seen this issue mentioned by many people on several forums, but I haven't found anything but a very temporary fix.
    • Proposed as answer by krmartin Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:51 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:51 PM
  • My wmplayer now works after Re-installing Windows 7 (64-bit version).  Still works after installing all the updates.  I just reinstalled over top of my windows 7.  Took a couple of hours.
    • Proposed as answer by krmartin Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:54 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:53 PM
  • My wmplayer now works after Re-installing Windows 7 (64-bit version).  Still works after installing all the updates.  I just reinstalled over top of my windows 7.  Took a couple of hours.

I don't think that would help in my case - its already a clean install.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:56 PM
  • @Cassiano: At that point it would be interesting to look into the system setup logs and figure out why the uninstall is failing.  You probably would want to run the uninstall again and then look at the tail end of c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log (potentially only accessible as administrator).  That file will likely be behemoth: skipping down to the current date (such as 2010-02-11 ) will likely help you ignore much of it.  In the following block there should be the internal error that the WMP uninstall ran into.
    I would be lightly suspicious of hard drive failure at this point, and would probably suggest running chkdsk.

Hello zachd,

Sorry for the long delay. My vacations have just finished.
    I loved your hint above. I'll surelly keep it for future problems, but I won't try it right now for two reasons: First, as I mentioned, I won't be having much time for a long debugging. No more vacations to enjoy "surgery" on my operating system, and second and more important, the problem corrected itself. On 02/12/2010, an automatic Windows Update seems to have solved the problem. There were 7 updates aplied. The one I believe is related to my problem was "Rights Management Services Client update" (sorry if this is not the correct translation), KB979099.
    It should be noted that the problem that was corrected was that wmp would not reopen after it was closed once. As for uninstalling it, I haven't tested and I don't plan to.

Thank for your help and I'm sure to come back here if I have any news.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 4:16 PM
  • After having no such problem for the last 4 months of running win7 (beta, and now win7 ult.), I screwed around with WMCentre and near the end of the day I started experiencing this phenom.  After reading this forum, I checked Task Man, and voila, it WAS running.  Upon closing wmp in processes, all probs ceased.  I've tried multi-times to start, restart wmp and all successful.  Thanks to Zachd for that info.  NOW, I'm going to do some serious limiting to WMCentre.  It really is an overall redundant app, since there is tremendous overlap in the services it and WMP provide.  I'm going to try and stick mainly to WMP and am glad only that in discovering this problem today, it will assist me troubleshooting others systems who may experience this.  Simply playing media in WMP will auto-catalogue that particular file w/o all the 'fancy-dancy' gui that WMCentre is full of.  I really believe that these two apps don't play nice.
    Monday, March 08, 2010 11:14 AM

1) Opened WMP

3) Configured any listed streaming protocol (HTTP/RTSP) to "Do not use a proxy server". 

My setting when the problem was occurring was that HTTP was set to "Use proxy settings of the Web Browser"  This, apparently, was causing the problem.

Friday, March 19, 2010 7:36 AM
  • Good points; I had already covered that one, though.  I still think that in a typically simple system, w/o considering net shares, etc.  that my findings re: wmp vs wmc has caused more probs than using just one app.  So I'm sticking to that: no more wmc for me!
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 12:04 AM
  • Found a driver update in windows update for my network card.

This seems to have fixed the problem..

Was getting the same problems as OP stated, worked fine before just out of the blue started happening..

Window Media Player Classic that comes with alot of codecpacks always kept working tho regardless if WMP11 failing to open or not..

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:50 PM
  • Hi, I was also having the same problem after playing a AVI from a digital camera. I followed the advice from Virtual_G and disable the proxy settings of WMP and it seems to be fine now.

Thanks Virtual_G

Sunday, March 28, 2010 8:02 PM

1) Opened WMP

I am going to try that tonigh, maybe that is the problem.  This just happen after I install Google Chrome.  I will let you know if that works.  Thank you.    

The sad part is that you don't work for MS but you are here willing to help, but MS doesn't care.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:10 PM
  • simply,reinstall media player,if this problem occur again then it might some problem with your window.
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Uninstalling QuickTime solved this problem for me.
    Friday, April 02, 2010 1:49 PM
  • this worked for me

open computer, windows, prefetch and delete the contents that refer to windows media player basically anything beginning with wmp but dont delete any data base files

hope this helps ur problem

Monday, April 05, 2010 8:57 PM
  • I've been experiencing this problem too. In my case, the cause appears to be an infinate loop bug in the 64-bit version of ole32.dll. Here is the call stack:

> ole32.dll!ModalLoop()  + 0x82 bytes 
      ole32.dll!ThreadSendReceive()  - 0x202d bytes 
      ole32.dll!CRpcChannelBuffer::SwitchAptAndDispatchCall()  + 0xa7 bytes 
      ole32.dll!CRpcChannelBuffer::SendReceive2()  + 0x11b bytes 
      ole32.dll!CCliModalLoop::SendReceive()  + 0x22 bytes 
      ole32.dll!CAptRpcChnl::SendReceive()  - 0x6389 bytes 
      ole32.dll!CCtxComChnl::SendReceive()  + 0x6c bytes 
      ole32.dll!NdrExtpProxySendReceive()  + 0x45 bytes 
      rpcrt4.dll!NdrpClientCall3()  - 0xee5 bytes 
      ole32.dll!ObjectStublessClient()  + 0x11c bytes 
      ole32.dll!ObjectStubless()  + 0x42 bytes 
      wmp.dll!CWMPDMRRootDevice::RegisterUPnPDeviceControlObjectWithUPnPDeviceHost()  + 0x462 bytes 
      wmp.dll!CWMPCore::StartWMPDMR()  + 0x137 bytes 
      wmp.dll!CWMPCore::Notify()  + 0xdcb9d bytes 
      wmp.dll!CMainFrame::EnableWMPDMR()  + 0x97 bytes 
      wmp.dll!CMainFrame::OnCreate()  + 0xa2fbf bytes 
      wmp.dll!CMainFrame::ProcessWindowMessage()  + 0x92de7 bytes 
      wmp.dll!ATL::CWindowImplBaseT<WTL::CEditT<ATL::CWindow>,ATL::CWinTraits<1442840576,0> >::WindowProc()  + 0x72 bytes 
      user32.dll!UserCallWinProcCheckWow()  - 0xca3 bytes 
      user32.dll!DispatchClientMessage()  + 0x5f bytes 
      user32.dll!__fnINLPCREATESTRUCT()  + 0x85 bytes 
      ntdll.dll!KiUserCallbackDispatcherContinue()  
      user32.dll!NtUserCreateWindowEx()  + 0xa bytes 
      user32.dll!VerNtUserCreateWindowEx()  + 0x267 bytes 
      user32.dll!_CreateWindowEx()  + 0x1b4 bytes 
      user32.dll!CreateWindowExW()  + 0x70 bytes 
      wmp.dll!WTL::CFrameWindowImpl<CMainFrame,ATL::CWindow,ATL::CWinTraits<114229248,262400> >::CreateEx()  - 0x15045 bytes 
      wmp.dll!Run()  - 0xa5acf bytes 
      wmp.dll!StartThePlayer()  + 0x1c3 bytes 
      wmplayer.exe!_PlayerEntry()  + 0x901 bytes 
      kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk()  + 0xd bytes 
      ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart()  + 0x21 bytes 

Tracing the code to the highest level of the loop led me to this block:

000007FEFD3BB342  mov         rax,qword ptr [rsi+28h]
    000007FEFD3BB346  mov         r8d,r12d
    000007FEFD3BB349  lea         r9,[rsp+50h]
    000007FEFD3BB34E  cmp         rax,r12
    000007FEFD3BB351  lea         rdx,[rsp+58h]
    000007FEFD3BB356  mov         rcx,rbp
    000007FEFD3BB359  setne       r8b 
    000007FEFD3BB35D  mov         qword ptr [rsp+58h],rax
    000007FEFD3BB362  call        CCliModalLoop::BlockFn (7FEFD3BB3A8h)
    000007FEFD3BB367  lea         rdx,[rsp+50h]
    000007FEFD3BB36C  mov         r9d,edi
    000007FEFD3BB36F  mov         rcx,rsi
    000007FEFD3BB372  mov         r8d,eax
    000007FEFD3BB375  mov         qword ptr [rsp+20h],rbp
    000007FEFD3BB37A  call        CMessageCall::RslvCancel (7FEFD3CCFACh)
    000007FEFD3BB37F  cmp         eax,80010115h
    000007FEFD3BB384  cmovne      ebx,r12d
    000007FEFD3BB388  cmp         ebx,r12d
    000007FEFD3BB38B  jne         ModalLoop+4Ah (7FEFD3BB342h)

It will repeat endlessly, unless I move the execution pointer manually to skip over the jne on last line. If I move it over that point, Windows Media Player will start normally. I'm not sure exactly what the source of the bug is, but I hope this helps track it down.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 4:07 AM
  • Do you have QuickTime installed?
    Friday, April 09, 2010 11:59 PM
  • Yes, but I've had it installed for a while (months), and this issue only started a few weeks ago. Plus, I don't see any QuickTime components on the call stack, so I'm not sure why it would be an issue. Actually, I'm most suspicious of the UPNP call having something to do with this, as I recently changed my network configuration to use a new UPNP device, and also set up media sharing with my XBOX 360 around the time this started. But regardless of what other components may be triggering it, there is definitely a straightforward infinite loop bug in ole32.dll that should be fixed.

Edit: Wow, I didn't actually look at the code closely, but there is seriously something weird going on here. The instruction cmovne is supposed to, from what I was able to ascertain from Google, compare two registers, and move the value in the second register to the first if they are not equal. For example:

mov ebx, 1
    mov r12d, 0
    cmovne ebx, r12d

Result:
    ebx == 0
    r12d == 0

But on my system, here's what happens

cmovne ebx,r12d  ;ebx and r12d start out here as 1 and 0 respectively
    cmp ebx,r12d  ;on this next line, my debugger says ebx is still 1. wtf?!
    jne ModalLoop+4Ah (7FEFD3BB342h)  ;the cmovne instruction is supposed to guarantee this jump will never execute, which is weird, since then why is it here at all? but due to cmovne's odd behavior, this jump will always execute, preventing any escape from the loop.

I smell a CPU bug. I'm going to do some messing around with NASM to see what it takes to reproduce this behavior. In the mean time, what CPU is everyone else here using?

Saturday, April 10, 2010 4:48 AM
  • AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-58 1.90 GHz here.
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Mine is an i7 920, so I guess that's not the issue. I wasn't able to reproduce the weird behavior of the cmovne instruction outside the Windows Media Player process space either. I have no idea at all why it is acting weird in this particular instance.

Anyway, I made a patched version of ole32.dll that theoretically should get past the bug. I just wasn't able to find a good way to get Windows Media Player to load it. I didn't want to replace the original system DLL because it may have unintended consequences, but I was unable to find a way to override it with the patched version. This (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682600(VS.85).aspx) looked promising, but ole32.dll is a "known" dll, and my attempt to remove it from the list of known DLLs didn't appear to have any affect.

If anyone wants to try to get it to work, here is the patched file (http://www.mediafire.com/?5wmz22moo4z). The patch is pretty simple. I just took jne instruction that shouldn't be reached (I think), and replaced it with a couple of nop instructions. I wasn't able to test it, but based on my results in the debugger I think there is a fair chance it will work. Just remember, I can't make any guarantees. If the file screws up your system, causes data loss, etc., I take no responsibility.

Keep in mind this is the 64-bit version, so don't use it to replace the 32-bit version, and don't use it at all on 32-bit Windows installations. I also highly recommend that whatever you try, you don't attempt to replace the ole32.dll file in C:\Windows\system32. The file there is actually a hard link that dynamically switches between the 32-bit and 64-bit version of the DLL on a per-application basis. Replacing that will almost certainly screw things up.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:21 AM
  • It seems like there may be different problems that are being described.

I had the problem described by RFSmith.  When I tried to play a video (.mp4) from Windows Explorer, the first time I tried, it would take a long time to time out, and finally I would get the "Server Execution Failed" message.  After I closed that message, and tried again, it always played ok.

Uninstalling QuickTime fixed this problem for me.

Monday, April 12, 2010 1:32 PM
  • Ok, I figured out a workaround for my issue that doesn't involve modifying system DLLs. All you have to do is disable the UPnP Device Host service. You will may lose some media sharing functionality (which I decided I could live without, your millage may vary), but you should no longer experience the hang issue.
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 1:49 AM
  • Well, I tried re-installing QuickTime to see if the error came back.  But it didn't.  So maybe it was a problem with the install order or something.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 1:55 AM
  • I had the same problem and after open windows updater and installed 3 optional updates and restarted problem was fixed
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:08 AM
  • I was having severe problems with WMP 12 - I could only get it to open as administrator (after manually deleting db files, registry cleaning, etc).  I tried ever tip I could find - setting program defaults, removing & reinstalling, etc.  Here's the tool that finally worked for me:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-7-vista-problems-with-fixwin-utility

I tried FixWMP first, no dice.  Then I tried FixWin, used the Windows Media Player does not start... Fix , and voilla!  Back in business.  Hope this helps someone out there.

Friday, June 04, 2010 4:14 PM
  • @ez: I would have been interested in knowing what the security settings were on wmp.dll .  If you right click on c:\windows\system32\wmp.dll ( or c:\windows\syswow64\wmp.dll ) and select Properties:Security , you should see:

* SYSTEM with Read, Read & Execute privileges

* Administrators with Read, Read & Execute privileges

* Users with Read, Read & Execute privileges

* TrustedInstaller with everything but Special permissions privileges

I was looking at a system with this problem recently, and the permissions on wmp.dll had been reset such that only Administrators had access- the other accounts were not listed (did not have access).  I'd love to know what app/scenario is causing that.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 1:01 AM
  • At risk of repeating everyone else, I too am having this general problem. 

I have tried most of the suggestions here, but none seem to work in my case. it seems as though different people are having slightly different issues with the same outcome but slightly different symptoms.

Personally, on my system (AMD phenom x4 9600, 4GB ram, Asus m3n72-d, SB Audigy (also happens with built in sound card) running Win & 7600 x64 and up to date) WMP works fine in most cases. The problem seems to start if i double-click a file to play it (and it plays), close WMP, then double-click another file shortly after (or even a while after).. it will hang for several seconds and then give me the "server execution failed". Then if i double click the file, or any other file, it opens fine.

Whats interesting is that i've found, after closing WMP, if i click once on the file, then double click it a second or two after, it opens fine every single time. 

Also, if i just hit stop on the player and leave it open (or minimize) and attempt to open another file it works fine.

So, I just wanted to throw that out there just in case it helps somebody with a temporary work-around or maybe tips somebody off to an underlying issue.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:53 PM
  • I have 9 Windows 7 PC's (mix of 32-bit and 64-bit), and they all have the "Server Execution Failed" issue.  I have been searching for a solution for months.  I have tried re-installing the OS, and performing a System Restore, with mixed results.  However, it always begins happening again within a few hours.  I have decided to install KMPlayer and just not use Windows Media Player 12.  I am amazed this problem has persisted for so long without a fix.

Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:16 PM
  • It's WMP specific problem, I have two machines - Desktop Gaming (win 7 pro 64bit) & mobile (win 7 ult 64it) notebook.

Both machines intermittently have "Server Execution Failed" when trying to play video files.

However, unlike others, I can open WMP afterwards. Like I said, it's intermittent and can happen anytime.

Location of files doesn't seem to be the issue - It happens if I play files from my Windows Home Server OR locally from the desktop.

I would doubleclick the file, normally it would play immediately, but when the problem occurs, it would pause then the dreaded message.  I can right click the file and open with VLC and would play immediately.

Problem never used to happen with previous version of WMP, what did Microsoft do with this new version?  Must fix it, as it must give lots of people on Win7 grief! Me included!

Hope there's a fix!

• Proposed as answer by OzzyisaGod Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:28 PM
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 11:10 AM
  • I went under the task bar and closed it in the "process" group and it opened right up.  Good luck.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:22 AM
  • I followed "EZbuttons'" suggestion and it worked perfectly. I am also using Windows 7 and was having the same isue as others. WMP would only open using Admin Privledges and clicking on mp3 files would not open WMP. After downloading and running the program "Ezbutton" suggested, everything worked perfectly again. However I did not run the "System File Checker Utility" I went straight to the "Windows Media Button" and it repaired everything. Here is the link:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-7-vista-problems-with-fixwin-utility
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:33 PM
  • I followed "EZbuttons'" suggestion and it worked perfectly. I am also using Windows 7 and was having the same isue as others. WMP would only open using Admin Privledges and clicking on mp3 files would not open WMP. After downloading and running the program "Ezbutton" suggested, everything worked perfectly again. However I did not run the "System File Checker Utility" I went straight to the "Windows Media Button" and it repaired everything. Here is the link:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-7-vista-problems-with-fixwin-utility
    I have this same problem. I installed Quicktime for Windows to temporarily view some videos, but now Windows Media Player will no longer play video files. I've tried uninstalling Quicktime, disabling/uninstalling the Windows Media Player feature, re-enabling/re-installing it, multiple reboots, I've tried FixWin Utility, I also tried disabling proxy servers in the network tab of the Windows Media Player options. Nothing works. Standalone laptop, local video files only. Help?
    Saturday, August 07, 2010 7:45 PM
  • worked like a charm! thank you.  2 seconds after clicking on "windows media player doesn't start" my wmp came back.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Thank you this help`d me a lot. It does not crash anymore.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Windows Media Player Server Execution Failed--must be a pretty big problem. This is a year after this subject was brought up, and I get it with Windows 7 Professional. I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the program; no use. It will open once in a session, but that is all. I have the server service turned off so that is not the problem. I bought Windows 7 Professional, and MS Office 2007, hoping to get around a lot of the problems with Vista, but I've had these problems ever since I clean installed the new Windows 7, so don't think it was other software. Given how many people have this exact same issue, and that it has been going on over a year, I'd think MS could have resolved it. It is a shame to pay so much for an OS and then have to resort to third party freeware, which seems more reliable. Amoy Bill www.amoymagic.com
    Friday, October 29, 2010 2:07 AM
  • Amoy Bill, I suggest that you try the following. Open the Start Menu, go to All Programs - Accessories , right-click Command Prompt , and select Run as administrator . Then type the following command:

regsvr32.exe jscript.dll

and press Enter. Also type the following command, and press Enter again:

regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll

Does that help?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    • Proposed as answer by hammoco Monday, December 06, 2010 7:21 PM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 2:29 PM
  • I have been having a similar problem although WMP never opens at all. Anyway I found a fix for my problem, after a loooooonnnnnggggg time searching the net with no decent answers. A little program called FixWin Utility which has a button you can press under the Media Media tab of the software which magically fixed my problem. Woop woop

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-7-vista-problems-with-fixwin-utility

Monday, December 06, 2010 7:26 PM
  • Similar behavior, here is How I dealt with it:

- Win 7 Ulitmate/64 bit. Music added to the library from a folder shared on a CentOS server (based on RedHat)

- I made two changes to my computer before observing that WMP is broken: (1) I installed Audacity to edit MP3 files and (2) I moved/deleted music files from the server (in windows, not from WMP).  Thus, there were references in the WMP to files that actually did not exist anymore on the server. First, I thought that (1) created the problem because of newly installed codecs.  However, because of the fix, I think the problem was created by (2).

- If I removed - re-added WMP from Control Panel/Windows components, WMP started only once, after the reboot.  As soon as I played the first song the problem re-occured. The references in the WMP to the non-existent files on the server were left there - they are not removed when WMP is removed and re-installed from the Control Panel.  Therefore:

- Once again, I removed-added again WMP and rebooted.  When I opened WMP for the first time, before playing anything, I cleared all WMP libraries (references to the deleted network files).

It works fine now.

Hope

Monday, December 06, 2010 8:20 PM
  • Hi, I was having the same issue with a client computer. I figured out that the Mcafee antivirus had been uninstalled but there were some "leftovers" (Some services were still running). I downloaded Mcafee Removal Tool and it manually removed all the remaining services and files that normal uninstall didn't. The error dissapeared and Windows Media Player now works fine.

Monday, January 24, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Yep. You're right! I've been trying to solve this same problem for a week now and turning WMP off and on again solved it instantly. Uncheck the program and then go back and check it again and it worked. Thanx for the help!!!!
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:30 PM