none
network issues HP dv6 with Broadcom Wireless

Question

• Hi,

HP dv6 laptop, 6 months old, Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8GB RAM, AMD A8-4500M, Broadcom 4313GN wifi
    Broadcom driver and BIOS are both updated to the latest.

I've had HP look at this. After hrs of trying their ideas, their response is: "I suspect that it is an operating system issue as per the observation shared by you. Please take a back up of your data and perform system recovery." I do not want to have to reinstall, if I can help it.

When browsing, I'm having problems with 2 sites that are only intermittently successful - yahoo webmail and paypal. The rest of the time they timeout. All other sites are usually ok. The problem is a few months old. Until I tried paypal recently, I just thought it was yahoo.

This problem is identical in IE, Firefox and Opera. It is not browser dependent.

HP had me clear all temp files etc (temp, %temp%, prefetch, etc). Then they had me restart minimal per msconfig. The problem persisted.

Then I restarted in safe mode with networking. In safe mode, the sites work fast and have no lag or timeouts.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts please.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 8:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you test the issue with another user account?

You can restore your system back to the status before the issue occurs to fix the issue .

1. Click Start. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore.

2.  On the window that appears, click Next  and select the date and time and click Next.

3. Wait for the process to complete.

Additional information, please see:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Create-a-user-account

Hope it helps.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 8:25 AM
  • Hi Tracy,

Yes, I created another user, and found the problem happens there too.

System restore will be a problem - a big upheaval to gain back two websites.

For some months it only happened to one site - yahoo webmail - so I thought maybe it was yahoo related. But now, months down the track, I discovered that it also happens with Paypal. To restore back to a date several months ago would also mean spending a day auditing and reinstalling software, files, settings etc that the restore would knock out... all for access to two sites.

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 10:08 AM
  • Anyone else with an idea, or question?
    Saturday, December 08, 2012 6:51 AM