none
Windows 8 and NET Framework 3.5

Question

• Suppose my computer is a WSUS client and I don't have the instalation disk for Windows 8 (seems stupid to me that you need the Windows 8 install disk or the iso just to install Net Framework offline, but nevertheless it's a feature).

Of course when I try to add the Framework 3.5 from Add/Remove Features it gives an error 0x800F0906 when I click on Download files from Windows Update because it checks on WSUS for the package.

Is there some other way?

Don't bother to ask why I don't download the iso because I'm on a slow connection and even if I weren't such an offline install solution sounds veeeery stupid.

Thank you in advance.

RR IT Professional

Friday, January 11, 2013 1:29 PM

All replies

• Friday, January 11, 2013 1:47 PM
  • So in order:

The first method will try to download from the WSUS (GPO) server not the internet as specified in the first post so it stops with error in the previous post.

Second method has the same result as the first.

Third method is excluded I don't have the disk nor the time to download such a big package. And all this just to install framework...

Is there any other way?

RR IT Professional

Friday, January 11, 2013 2:03 PM
  • How do you not have the disc?  Did you install Windows 8 and then throw it away?  Did you destroy the Windows 8 Recovery built into your consumer bought laptop (if your not enterprise)?  This is a very odd request.

If your worried about storage space on the offline machine you can copy just the SXS folder from the installation disc (Sources\SXS) and then just run the command below and change the Source to wherever you stored the SXS folder.

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:C:\sxs /LimitAccess

Its not built into Windows 8 because its a very dated piece of software (5+ years) so you need the media to install it as its basically deprecated.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Friday, January 11, 2013 2:50 PM
  • Well this is not such a weird request since as I remember, never in the history of Windows did you need the install disk to install NET Framework. Or am I wrong?

And why if I got the 230MB of NET Framework downloaded, can't I simply install it without any hassle? Meaning install disk.

Offtopic, just to answer your questions:

And can't it be that I would be somewhere on the field with a bad internet connection and need NET Framework 2 for some application that I haven't used since I've installed the OS? I always carry the OS images on an external drive but this is the time I haven't got it with me.

And it was an upgrade disk so I haven't got any Windows 8 Recovery built into it since I wiped clean the disk before installing the new OS.

Of course it's solved by now, downloaded the image, it took some hours instead of 10 minutes most, to install the 230 MB package but since this is the MS way of working things out ...

@Chris you haven't been very helpful but since I liked the suggestion with the sxs folder I will vote your answer.

Thanks anyway.

RR IT Professional

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:48 AM