none
Netgear WNA3100 wireless usb adapter crashing windows 8

Question

• I have a Netgear WNA3100 wireless USB adapter which worked fine when running XP.  I installed Windows 8 32 bit and all the drivers included with the adapter.  It worked for a day, but then started giving the blue screen of death and restarting the computer.  I uninstalled the driver and software and tried reinstalling, but everytime I was told to connect the adapter the computer crashed and restarted.  Called Netgear support and was told this adapter is not compatible with windows 8.  Is there anyway to make it work?
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello, Tabowdog.

According to Netgear's site, they do have a Windows 8 certified driver, so I'd try that before doing any more troubleshooting:

WNA3100 Win8 WHQLed Driver (Ver 1.1.0.4)

It may be a case that either it's an unsupported driver by netgear, or they're still updating documentation for Windows 8, so your support agent was out of date.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:03 PM
  • I'm actually having the exact same problem. I just have a question. When I go download this WNA3100 driver update for windows 8 link that you posted earler on my Windows 8 machine, do I need internet access and how do I go about installing this?
    Friday, November 02, 2012 1:49 AM
  • The driver is actually a beta version and it worked briefly after i installed it and then crashed the system. 
    Friday, November 02, 2012 6:38 PM
  • I have tried just about every driver netgear lists for this device.  I was encouraged to try running things in compatibility mode which I did.  I only occasionally get the blue screen, but have to unplug and replug the adapter several times a day as it will randomly quite working.  The Windows 8 driver shown on netgear's site is a beta version and doesn't work anyway.  The files show they were last updated in December 2011.  I am stumped as to what to do.  I paid a little extra to get a brand name adapter, but it has been extremely frustrating.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:04 PM
  • The driver you linked is for the WNA3100M.  My adapter is just the wna3100.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:06 PM
  • try drivers for wnda 3100 from netgear website it worked for me.
    Friday, January 04, 2013 1:29 AM