none
Windows vista update stuck stage 3 of 3 100%

Question

• The computer is a Gateway model NV52 - no internal hardware has been updated.

First this all started because upon boot up windows vista premium is stuck on configuring updates 3 of 3 100% - yet it never advances from this point.

If I boot into safe mode I get stuck at the same point.

If I try to click 'repair computer' from the choices before it loads windows the screen goes black for 3-5 seconds then presents me with the same two options, repair my computer and start windows normally - aka its stuck in a loop where it loads no repair options.

If i try and boot from last known good configuration I get stuck at the configuring updates screen.

If i use the full windows vista repair cd it begins to load windows files and then stops for about 10 minutes then tells me to disconnect all external USB devices etc - i have no external USB devices connect it is a laptop and all the usb ports are empty.

If i try and restore to factory defaults by hitting alt + f10 as mentioned on gateways help forum, the windows files load but once it begins to load actually windows it blue screens of death at the same point in loading each time and tells me to disable my anti-virus software, check hard drives etc.

This leaves me with no way to repair windows, I do not have a windows vista full install CD since gateway did not feel like providing me with one therefore I cannot just format the drive and start over without buying a new copy of windows.

Not a clue as where to go from here, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:32 PM

Answers