none
Error activating Windows 7

Question

• I installed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit about two weeks ago and realized that it has not activated. Each time I try, it gives me the same error code, 0x8007232B, DNS name does not exist.

What is this all about?

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:43 PM

Answers

• Hello ghuntress,

Open an elevated CMD prompt.

You can run slmgr /IPK xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx to change the product key

If you change to MAK you should be fine

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:23 PM

All replies

• Hello ghuntress,

You are using Volume License media so by default it is looking for a KMS host machine.  It is querying DNS and not finding a DNS record that points to the KMS host machine for your machine to comunicate with. 

Is this a corporate network?  If so you need to check with your IT administrator about the KMS configuation options or what solutions they have for volume licensing.

this machine was installed with the default Volume License product key, if you have a different product key you need to change to the correct product key.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Hello ghuntress,

You are using Volume License media so by default it is looking for a KMS host machine.  It is querying DNS and not finding a DNS record that points to the KMS host machine for your machine to comunicate with. 

Is this a corporate network?  If so you need to check with your IT administrator about the KMS configuation options or what solutions they have for volume licensing.

this machine was installed with the default Volume License product key, if you have a different product key you need to change to the correct product key.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:24 PM
  • OK, I actually purchased these and am the IT person... small non-profit...

If I change to a MAK key, I will be fine? If so, I have that, but how? It won't let me change anything.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:36 PM
  • Hello ghuntress,

Open an elevated CMD prompt.

You can run slmgr /IPK xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx to change the product key

If you change to MAK you should be fine

Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:23 PM