windows 8 dialup(PPP) connection incorrect status (received bytes always 0)

Question

• We have a vpn product which implements a virtual dialup(PPP) connection. It works fine on XP/Vista/Win7 for many years.

It also works fine on Windows 8 consumer preview (build 8250).

On Windows 8 (release preview) it mostly works fine, traffic can pass back and forth, but we have a strange problem that if you check the status of the dialup/ppp connection, the sent/received bytes are always wrong. The Received bytes is always 0, and the sent bytes always shows the bytes of the last packet, not the total bytes since the connection is up.

Using RasGetConnectionStatistics() from our C++ code gets the same number.  Any advise what might cause this, how to fix it, or is it a windows 8 bug (since it works in windows 8 consumer preview, but not release preview)?

Thanks,

Jinhai

• Edited by jinhai Friday, June 08, 2012 6:10 PM
    Friday, June 08, 2012 5:37 PM

All replies

• May I know how the connection is established, with the client software or the connection of Windows? Meanwhile, please also let me know more details VPN product.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:50 AM
  • The connection is established using the client software with RasDial().

For our VPN product, briefly, it works like this: we create a  PPP adapter device, then create a dialup connection using that device. When the connection is up, Windows applications can send/route data to that connection. Instead of sending the data through modem, our adapter will catch the data, encrypt it and send to the vpn server through SSL.

The interesting part is that it works fine in windows 8 developer preview and consumer preview, but NOT release preview. In Release preview, the data can still go through the VPN, just the send/receive bytes are wrong.

Thanks,

Jinhai

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:40 PM

• Hi,

I suspect this issue is also related to the client software. If possible, please try the Windows built-in connection and see if it works.

If the issue persists, please also contact the software company for help. If the software is authored by you, please also go to MSDN forum:

Windows Desktop Development Forums
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsdesktopdev

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:55 AM
  • I suspect this issue is also related to the client software...

Could you explain why it is working in win7, win8 developer preview, win8 consumer preview, but NOT in win8 release preview?

Is there some valid change in release preview? or a bug introduced?  This way, we will have a better idea where to look in our code.

Thanks,

Jinhai

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:44 PM
  •  I am too facing this issue when i use the dial up network in win 7 the connection is good but in win 8 enterprise it doesn't work. Local area network gets received bytes 0 and then even if i login to win 7 it doesn't work. it only works after few hours (It seems to be ISP's problem though)
    Saturday, September 22, 2012 12:47 PM
  • I am too facing this issue when i use the dial up connection and Cisco VPN Client 5 :(

Windows 8 sucks

Friday, November 16, 2012 8:06 PM