none
Problem with photoshop CS4 and windows 7

Question

• Hopefully someone can help me with this problem I'm having with photoshop. Whenever I open photoshop I can't open a file unless I first select some other command first in one of the menus. For example I can select a different item from the tools palette and then i can open a file. But if I try to open a file before doing something like this by going to the File-->Open menu, it's grayed out and I cannot select it. If I double click in the document window ( which should open the File-->Open menu ) then nothing happens. Also, when making adjustments to images, for example sharpening, the preview will not change to update the changes I've made until I do something like select another selction from the tools palette. It seems to get stuck and needs something like a boost to to get kick started again. This is with the 32 bit version of windows 7.
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 8:16 PM

Answers

• Refer with your vendor if PhotoShop CS4 works on Win 7.
    PhotoShop CS4 works with Vista , and it this is true it should work with Windows 7.[ http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-vista/Search.aspx?s=Photoshop%20CS4&type=Software ]

It looks like you have a corrupt installation of PhotoShop - Try to repair or reinstall.

Also make sure you have all the display drivers updated.

C# Fan! ananda84(at)gmail(dot)com
    Friday, November 06, 2009 11:47 AM

• Hi Newfieboy,

Thanks for your post.

I tried reproducing the problems which has been mentioned.  I installed the trial version of the software in a Windows 7 32 bit OS. It works fine.  I tried with the operations mentioned like opening a file using FileàOpen option and Double-clicking the empty pane, Changing the Brightness, sharpness, etc., it works fine.

I checked with the official website of the application, and it is compatible with Windows 7.

I would suggest you to check with the System requirements of the application from its official website and make sure your system meet the requirement (Exactly the recommended Memory)

NOTE – Disclaimer:

The links in this message may lead to third-party Web sites. Microsoft provides third-party resources to help you find customer service and/or technical support resources. Information at these sites may change without notice. Microsoft is not responsible for the content at any third-party Web sites and does not guarantee the accuracy of third-party information.

System requirements of Photoshop CS4:

Please check with this Official website of Photoshop CS4 for its system requirements http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/systemreqs/

Hope this will resolve the issue.  In case you face some have some queries you can post back.

Thanks, M Anbu
    Friday, November 06, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Did you update PS CS4 to 11.0.1? This fixed a lot of display issues.

Update your video card drivers from the Nvidia or ATI site. Some people with Nvidia cards had to revert back to older drivers to make it work (depending on card and system).

Also try disable opengl in PS CS4 performance section located in preferences. Your video card might not be up to specs.

Also shutting off windows 7 aero or set performance options for best performance. This has helped people too.

But to me it sounds like a video card driver issue.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:12 PM

All replies

• Refer with your vendor if PhotoShop CS4 works on Win 7.
    PhotoShop CS4 works with Vista , and it this is true it should work with Windows 7.[ http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-vista/Search.aspx?s=Photoshop%20CS4&type=Software ]

It looks like you have a corrupt installation of PhotoShop - Try to repair or reinstall.

Also make sure you have all the display drivers updated.

C# Fan! ananda84(at)gmail(dot)com
    Friday, November 06, 2009 11:47 AM

• Hi Newfieboy,

Thanks for your post.

I tried reproducing the problems which has been mentioned.  I installed the trial version of the software in a Windows 7 32 bit OS. It works fine.  I tried with the operations mentioned like opening a file using FileàOpen option and Double-clicking the empty pane, Changing the Brightness, sharpness, etc., it works fine.

I checked with the official website of the application, and it is compatible with Windows 7.

I would suggest you to check with the System requirements of the application from its official website and make sure your system meet the requirement (Exactly the recommended Memory)

NOTE – Disclaimer:

The links in this message may lead to third-party Web sites. Microsoft provides third-party resources to help you find customer service and/or technical support resources. Information at these sites may change without notice. Microsoft is not responsible for the content at any third-party Web sites and does not guarantee the accuracy of third-party information.

System requirements of Photoshop CS4:

Please check with this Official website of Photoshop CS4 for its system requirements http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/systemreqs/

Hope this will resolve the issue.  In case you face some have some queries you can post back.

Thanks, M Anbu
    Friday, November 06, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Did you update PS CS4 to 11.0.1? This fixed a lot of display issues.

Update your video card drivers from the Nvidia or ATI site. Some people with Nvidia cards had to revert back to older drivers to make it work (depending on card and system).

Also try disable opengl in PS CS4 performance section located in preferences. Your video card might not be up to specs.

Also shutting off windows 7 aero or set performance options for best performance. This has helped people too.

But to me it sounds like a video card driver issue.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Well, I've heard of other people that have had this issue, and apparently (not that I have the issue, so I wouldn't know) shutting down Windows Live Messenger makes this happen less frequently.

I doubt that it's a video card issue, given your description, but try putting the following in a shortcut on your desktop.  It quickly and easily disables visual themes, which for some reason is glitchy when you want windows 7 to do it automatically upon running an application.
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl desk,@Themes /Action:OpenTheme /File:"c:\windows\resources\Ease of Access Themes\basic.theme"
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 8:25 AM