none
Boot Manager fails to find OS loader after running Windows update

Question

• Hi,

I'm loading the MAPS Windows 7 Professional (32-bit) install on a test PC and having repeated problems after running Windows Update.

It's a clean install onto a brand new 250GB drive. The PC has a single hard drive, a DVD-RW as a primary slave, and a CD-RW as the secondary drive.

W7Pro installs without problem onto the drive and boots. No errors are reported and everything is fine. Then I run Windows update to start updating the OS. First time round, I installed all important and optional updates from the first run and everything was fine. A reboot was not needed. Then I tried the second round of updates which DID require a reboot.

Windows booted into the Startup Repair mode. The result was "Boot Manager failed to find OS loader" and failed with error 0x490. It also reported that Boot Configuration Data Store Repair failed with error 0x490. Startup Repair reported that it had restored a system image successfully and a reboot might fix it. It didn't.

So, back to the original DVD, clear the partitions, reformat, reinstall. This time I made it past the first two sets of updates, including a reboot with Windows 7 working fine. Then, after the third set of updates, the same thing happened. Same errors, same problem.

Reinstall #3: this time I created a system image after the first set of updates. Fortunately too because, after the second set of updates, back to the Startup Repair with the same error.

The PC is a Pentium 4 with 1 GB RAM. We're using this for compatibility testing as it mirrors our existing stations and I need to know if W7Pro will run our existing application software. I have not activated Windows 7 at this point.

I've looked all over - there's lots of stuff relating to this error code under Vista for dual-boot systems but nothing that helps for Windows 7 on a single boot OS.

Saturday, October 17, 2009 11:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Slanes,

Have you found out what update caused this issue?

I suggest you perform the following steps to check the issue.

1.    Download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser Beat.

2.    Upgrade the BIOS and the hardware drivers.

After that, you may create a restore point manually and install the updates one by one to find out the root cause. If the issue reoccurs, you can run System Restore in WinRE to start the computer.

Now, what update you find causes the issue?

Would you please also upload the WindowsUpdate.log to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing?

WindowsUpdate.log

===============

1. Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time, type: %windir% and press Enter.

2. Locate a file named "WindowsUpdate.log" and send it to us.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, October 19, 2009 5:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Slanes,

Have you found out what update caused this issue?

I suggest you perform the following steps to check the issue.

1.    Download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser Beat.

2.    Upgrade the BIOS and the hardware drivers.

After that, you may create a restore point manually and install the updates one by one to find out the root cause. If the issue reoccurs, you can run System Restore in WinRE to start the computer.

Now, what update you find causes the issue?

Would you please also upload the WindowsUpdate.log to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing?

WindowsUpdate.log

===============

1. Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time, type: %windir% and press Enter.

2. Locate a file named "WindowsUpdate.log" and send it to us.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, October 19, 2009 5:23 AM
  • I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM, I DO NOT KNOW WHICH UPDATE CAUSED THE ERROR, HAVE YOU BEEN ABLE TO SOLVE IT? I INSTALLED A NEW WD 320 GB PATA DRIVE IN A VINTAGE 2002 THINKPAD X30. 1 GIG RAM, UPGRADE ADVISOR SAID GOOD TO GO, INSTALLS, BOOTS FINE RUNS WELL, THEN WIN UPDATE REQUIRES RESTART AND START UP REPAIR RUNS OVER AND OVER AGAIN WITH SAME ERROR CODE 0X490. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRTECIATED OR ITS BACK TO XP PROFESSIONAL. WIN 7 RUNS FINE ON ALL MY OTHER OLDER COMPUTERS. MY IBM IS A PENTIUM III M 1 GB RAM.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:55 PM
  • Holy Shmoly! I have the exact same problem..I did go through system hardware and found a few faullts..and corrcted them..but my pc is still doing this now and then. I get "bootimage mgr is corrupt"   Then..when I check windows repair..it says error code 0x490    and yes..it seems after updating everything goes haywire. Im running win7 64 bit 2 gig ram Athlon64 3700 500gb hard drive nvidia 9500GT graphics...but I really dont think its a hardware problem..im beginning to think its somewhere in the software...hmmm...if anybody has any ideas let me know. I may rebuild the bootmgr and see what happens if this keeps going on...hmmmm....
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:29 AM
  • I have the same problem, which I also posted on answers.microsoft.com: automated startup repair fails (it's 0-5 for me now), cannot find os loader.  It's happened twice in two weeks.

File repair - 0x490
      Boot config data store repair - 0x490
      System restore - 0x1f

Unfortunately I have no further information.  Winload.exe is not there.  Curiously, I also have a new WD320GB laptop drive (is yours the 10,000RPM version?)

The only action I have been able to take is to restore from a system image.  Needless to say, this is an incredibly painful problem, and I am incredibly angry right now.  Also Googling the problem shows that there are a great many people experiencing this issue.  It's obviously not a minor or obscure bug.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:03 PM
  • Same Exact Problem to my Laptop 2.1Ghz Pentium M, 2GB memory, FX5650 128MB video module, WINDOWS ULT x86

After MS Updates... SameNonsense, Reboot/Repair/Can't Fix Loop D Loops

File repair - 0x490
      Boot config data store repair - 0x490
      System restore - 0x1f

System Restore fails...

This is getting ridiculous... WINDOWS 7 integrity, resiliency, robustness appears to be worst than VISTA

Thursday, April 01, 2010 12:11 AM
  • Exact same problem on a brand new HP powerbook 4520s.  Hardware does not seem to be at fault.

Has anyone found a fix??

Friday, November 05, 2010 10:05 PM