none
\$windows.~bt\windows\system32\winload.exe corrupted or missing @ expanding files during 1st restart of upgrade Windows 7 Home32 from Vista Home 32

Question

• I have spend days trying to find my answer.  I have found similar problems.  Here is mine.....Any help would be appreciated.

On an older XP Compaq, I put on Vista Home 32 in order to move up to Windows 7 32 without losing everything (upgrade, not clean install).  I downloaded the Windows 7 Advisor and ran it in XP and then in Vista.  Aero won't work, which is fine with me.  Otherwise, only need a driver for Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet (which I still haven't found....HP only has XP drivers on their site.)  I am stuck between having this message when Windows 7 tries to boot...

File: \$windows.~BT\Windows\system32\winload.exe    Status:  0x0000001    Info:  the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Vista still can be booted into.  Windows 7 installation disk is legit purchased family disc that has been used before with no problems.  Windows install disc Repair feature will not repair it.

I do have another Windows 7 computer (this one I am just setting up to be a secondary computer for when main computer has an issue).  Is there some way I can copy this file to whatever location it should be?  I have found no solution that works for me yet. 

Computer has C & D drives and is upgrading Win 7 to C drive.  It has made virtual drive X and appears to have put files on the D drive that will probably end up being the Recovery partition.  Actually, I should clarify....it has ONE large physical drive that is partitioned into TWO drives.

A more recent computer than this one recently failed and will not start (that was my secondary computer), so therefore I am trying to get something up as a second computer even though this computer is a Compaq 3015US with a BIOS that is quite old but was updated with the latest BIOS long ago.  It has been a very good computer for many years, so if I could still make use of it would be great. It is running Vista just fine (but I only installed it to make the move up to Win 7 and don't intend to keep Vista).

What do you need to know to help?  Thanks!

Sunday, February 03, 2013 12:49 AM

All replies

• Something sounds strange since when you installed Windows 7 that wouldn't create a restore partition. If there is a drive D that might be the restore partition from the original XP installation.  If you can still boot into Windows Vista then Windows 7 hasn't been installed unless you accidentally put it on the D drive. Are you booting from the Windows 7 disk and choosing upgrade install and making sure it's installing on the C drive? Installing an upgrade should have no effect on the D drive.

Try this link for the ethernet driver. http://realtek-rtl8139-810x-family-pci-fast-ethernet-nic.soft32.com/free-download#after-download

Sunday, February 03, 2013 4:34 AM
  • It seems that it is installing to C. It never gave me a choice and it is an upgrade from Vista Home 32, so I was not attempting to set up a dual boot, etc. Last night when I wanted to quit working with it, I literally had to unplug the power and remove the battery to stop the cycle of restarting.  It is the first restart that installation makes during expanding files, so it still has quite a ways to go before it is a complete install of Win 7.  I imagine that is the reason Vista is still available on the Windows Boot Manager screen on startup.  It has listed first "Windows Setup" and second, Microsoft Windows Vista as the only choices and lists below under "Tools" only Windows Memory Diagnostic, which I ran and did not identify any problems.

If I choose "Windows Setup" as my choice, it only gives my title error and file at fault.  I can ony alternate between that screen and the Windows Boot Manager screen....or go into Vista or power down, which starts the restart cycle again.

In Vista, looking at the drives:

C: has 2 new folders:  $UPGRADE.~OS and $WINDOWS.~LS

D: has 1 new folder:    $WINDOWS.~BT

Yesterday, when in the Windows Setup cycle, I booted with the install disc and it gave the options such as Repair, Command Prompt, etc.  I opened Command Prompt and it opened into no doubt a virtual drive X that appeared to be set up files.  It could be that "X" was what setup renamed my CD ROM drive temporarily.

I wondered if I could copy the winload.exe (which is a different size file) from my main computer to the $WINDOWS.~BT on "D" using Command Prompt or should I go back to within Vista and start the Setup.exe for Win 7 again as I initially did and select Upgrade to just see if it will follow through on a second pass.  Or what?

I suppose another option could be leave Vista on C and start over to install Windows 7 on D as a dual boot system, but then I would need to reinstall all programs into Windows 7 which I was trying to avoid.

Something I read implied that my drive should be SATA.  It is IDE, which as far as I know can't be changed (at least without a format and re-partition, etc.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Monday, February 04, 2013 12:12 AM
  • Is there something wrong with my post? Or my request for help? Or the wrong forum? Anybody have any pointers? I'm still stuck.

Thanks

Friday, February 15, 2013 3:52 AM
  • If I may add to my above issue / question:

If I use the command prompt and bootrec.exe /fixmbr and or bootrec.exe /fixboot, will it mess up the fact that I can still go into Vista at this point on the Windows Boot Manager screen? Presently, it has "Windows Setup" as an option (which is obviously the Windows 7 incomplete install) and Vista as options to go in.  Vista works at this point and unless I can get the upgrade to complete and then it would be a Windows 7 system (which is what I am working toward), I would rather not lose being able to go into Vista at this point.    Did that make any sense?

Does anybody think the bootrec.exe options will solve the stalled Windows 7 incomplete install and allow it to proceed to finish?

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:44 AM
  • Hi, 

Please follow the KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975253?wa=wsignin1.0 and run the steps as below:

1) Disconnect and remove any old drivers and devices which are not important.

2) Disable the NIC and disconnected the network cable.

Thanks. 

Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, June 07, 2013 2:50 AM