none
Windows Explorer Keeps shutting down and then restarts.

Question

•  

Windows Explorer will not stopped shutting down and restarting. As well, Windows Defender keeps turning off. Also, my OneCare, for a little while was not responding either, and after It finally did start up I updated it. When the update was completed that's when Windows explorer started going pychotic. One more thing, when everything was working fine, there was a flashing icon in my system tray that kept telling me that there was a spyware virus in my computer and to click on the icon for further information it then took me to a website that was advertising antispyware software. However the flashing icon would keep flashing and it never went away but kept on flashing and displaying the virus message.

I cannot get into the control panel so that I can uninstall any programs that might be the cause of this problem.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 11:09 PM

Answers

•  

Easier way in Vista is...

1.) Click on the "Start" button

2.) Click on the "Start Search" button (cursor goes there by default).

3.) Type in "program" without the quotes (or just type "prog")

4.) Click on "Programs and Features" which will be displayed above.

Other RUN examples are...

Example 1.

3.) Type in "run" which will be displayed above and just press <enter> key if highlighted 1st in list above,

4.)  otherwise click on "Run" above.

Example 2.

3.) Type in "calc" which will be displayed above and just press <enter> key if highlighted 1st in list above,

4.)  otherwise click on "Calculator" above.

Other shortcuts...

bac = Backup (res = Restore)

cal = Calendar or Calculator

cha = Charactor Map

dev = Device Manager

dvd = Your favorite DVD writing program

fir = Firewall Program

hel = Help

ner = All Nero programs (if installed)

pai = Paint

pan or cont = Control Panel

sys = System Config, System Information, System Restore or System

vir = Your Anti-Virus Program?

wel = Welcome Center

wor = Microsoft Word  (if installed) and WordPad

etc...
    Friday, December 28, 2007 12:27 AM

All replies

• I had the same problem, I was able to go back to a previous system state and seems to be working now.  I also had issues during a virus update avg 7.5

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 6:58 PM
  • I had all those experiences recently.  I purchased Vista basic for trial from Window's locker.  Shortly after, when I would open the control panel a message would appear (Windows Explorer is shutting down) followed by (Windows Explorer is reopening) at which point my task list and gadgets bar would disappear and reappear (background remained).  I then began noticing the flashing icon and the gray bar that appeared on every web page.  I had the site diagnosed and it came up with a laundry list of Warnings (spyware, potential viruses, adware, etc., lot's complaints logged).  I attempted every trick I knew to rid myself of the tick and I'm fairly tricky when addressing computer problems.  I never resolved this problem and I could not find any information posted until this.  It really dogged my system performance.  Fortunately I liked Vista Basic so much I purchased an upgrade to Vista Premium.  When I installed I chose to replace the entire Basic version and starting from scratch.  I still have the Windows Explorer issue but the spyware problem has vanished for now.  Maybe if I upgrade to Ultimate all problems will disappear. 

I believe Microsoft has discovered a brilliant new marketing plan.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:48 PM
  • Click on start, click on "computer" look on the left, go down and hover over Controll panel untill the little arrow apears in front of it CLICK ON THE ARROW,  not controll panel. then scoll down and click on "programs and features" and remove the program.

It should let you uninstall the program, not sure if it will help the Vista "bug" though.
    Sunday, December 02, 2007 12:56 PM
  •  

Easier way in Vista is...

1.) Click on the "Start" button

2.) Click on the "Start Search" button (cursor goes there by default).

3.) Type in "program" without the quotes (or just type "prog")

4.) Click on "Programs and Features" which will be displayed above.

Other RUN examples are...

Example 1.

3.) Type in "run" which will be displayed above and just press <enter> key if highlighted 1st in list above,

4.)  otherwise click on "Run" above.

Example 2.

3.) Type in "calc" which will be displayed above and just press <enter> key if highlighted 1st in list above,

4.)  otherwise click on "Calculator" above.

Other shortcuts...

bac = Backup (res = Restore)

cal = Calendar or Calculator

cha = Charactor Map

dev = Device Manager

dvd = Your favorite DVD writing program

fir = Firewall Program

hel = Help

ner = All Nero programs (if installed)

pai = Paint

pan or cont = Control Panel

sys = System Config, System Information, System Restore or System