none
This tab has been recovered.in IE8

Question

• "This tab has been recovered.

A problem with this web page caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen the tab."

I keep getting this message when I try to access the Yahoo mail site and other sites. The first time I installed Windows 7 I didn't have this problem but since then I was having some problems with Windows 7 so I decided to reinstall it and since I did this I have not been able to access the Yahoo mail and a few other sites. With other sites I never have problems any one know why now I'm having this problem now and wasn't before and how to resolve it. After IE8 reopens the tab about three times the message below is what I end up with.  Installed Firefox to see if I had the same problem and I don't Firefox works fine

Info icon

We were unable to return you to yahoo.com.

Internet Explorer has stopped trying to restore this website. It appears that the website continues to have a problem.

What you can do:

Go to your home page

Try to return to yahoo.com

More information More information

Thursday, February 12, 2009 5:24 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

I suspect the issue is cuased by an incorrect setting or third party software. I have the following suggestions.

Suggestion 1: Reset Internet Explorer settings

=============================

1. Please open Internet Explorer, click "Tools", and click "Internet Options".

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab.

3. Refer to "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" section, and click "Reset".

4. Click "Close" when the resetting process is complete.

5. Close Internet Explorer and restart it.

Suggestion 2: Run IE without Add-ons

1. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Visit website in this IE.

Does it work?

Hope it helps.

• Edited by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:01 AM modify
    • Proposed as answer by MMD2011 Thursday, August 04, 2011 1:19 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:00 AM
  • First of all I would like to thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately they did not work.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:32 PM
  •  

Hi,

Does it work in Compatibility View?

For more information:

Introducing Compatibility View

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 10:29 AM
  • Hello,

Doesnt work in compatiblility mode neither.

The longer I use Windows 7 the worse it seem to get. The Windows defender is off and I can't get it to turn on, the last thing that started today is now my Yahoo Messenger won't work it keeps stopping.

Yahoo! Messenger has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
    Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is availabe

I am getting frustated and thinking of just giving up Windows 7
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:33 PM
  •  I would like to thank Robinson Zhang - MSFT for the suggestions. fortunately they did  work for me.
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 12:29 AM
  •  

Hi dsalsa,

Thank you for your update. I understand that the issue still persists after taking my suggestion. And other issues were encountered now. Please understand that the current Windows 7 version is beta, we released it just for improving it and ensure our customers get a better Windows in further. Thank you for your understanding.

Given the current situation, I suspect a software conflict cause the problem. Could you please take a Clean Boot to narrow down the issue?

For your convenience:

Clean Boot

===========================

1. Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the Services tab, check the Hide All Microsoft Services box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to narrow down the problem.

Hope it helps.

• Proposed as answer by trinabalcon Friday, July 16, 2010 3:09 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:04 AM
  • Hi Robinson,

Unfortunatelly the issue still persists after taking your suggestion. Sorry my mistake the other issues I encountered are not new. The strange thing is that this is the second time I have installed Windows 7 on my machine and the first time I had no problems browsing any web pages or with Windows Defender. My Yahoo Messenger seems to be working again with the services disable and abled. The reason I installed Windows 7 a second time is because I started to mess with some of the windows files because I was not able and still not able to Update Windows but that is another issues because I think it has to do with my internet connection because I wasn't able to update Windows Defender etiher when it was working and neither was I able and still not able to register my copy of Window 7 (still have about 8 days to go) even though I am able to browse the internet with no problem except for some pages the last one being "bytemobile.com" whitch I saw while I was disabling my devices. I also have no problem downloading files or updating my AVG antivirus. I wasn't able to register my copy of FSX either. On the other side on XP I have no problems registering or upgrading any programs so I'm not really sure what is going on. One last thing is that something seems to be running in the background when my computer is idle because it always crashes giving me a blue screen and rebooting whitch fails until I reboot under XP and run the scan disk on the partition I have Windows 7 on.

I know this is to long and I have so many issues maybe I should just forget about running this beta version or another option I have been thinking about is maybe just starting from scracth and slowly install my software one at a time about one a day make sure I have not issues with that particular software. But then again wouldn't disabling all my services be about the same without having to start from scratch?
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 5:03 PM
  • dsalsa: were you able to get things working?

If you still need help, let us know.

-Nick
    Monday, June 01, 2009 7:34 PM
  • im getting this error on a constant basis with 64 vista home premium.
    your ie8 is not making me a happy person.
    i want to be able to turn off this auto reload BS you installed.
    please get this fixed.
    i guess ill have to use firfox until you get your s**t straight.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:34 AM
  • Hi I am also having this same problem, but only with 2 websites, which is EXTREMELY annoying as I am now unable to use them at all.  It keeps popping up, then re-loading, and slowing down the whole computer.  There is nothing I can do to stop it, did the steps you said (did the no-add on's thing, and also reset the IE settings to default).
    Then it pops up as "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
    WELL IT IS INCONVENIENT COZ I CAN'T GET IT TO WORK, MICROSOFT!!!!  Hehehhee
    can you please tell me some other fixes I can try????
    Monday, August 10, 2009 10:52 AM
  • I am having the same issue altho it is blocking my main work/life email.  i am so frustrated, I have even logged into safari and still it blocks it.  if I use any other computer I access my site fine.  Help I am not running two computers. 
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:03 PM
  • I am also consistently having the same (or very similar) issue.

I am using Windows XP with IE8.

Whenever I close a Tab in IE8, then IE8 tries to reload it again, with the message "This tab has been recovered". If I try to close it a couple of times, it comes up with an error page "Internet Explorer has stopped trying to restore this website. It appears that the website continues to have a problem"

If I then try to close that Tab, it still re-opens the page woith the same message.

If I try and close IE8 (i.e. file Exit), then it will not close. Instead it just re-opens the tabs.

This behaviour started about a week ago - and may have followed an update (can't be certain).  However, it CONSISTENTLY behaves in this way.  The only way to close IE8 now is via Task Manager.

Honestly, my good friends at Microsoft, I DO sometimes want to close tabs or the whole of IE8 - please let me :-).

Does anyone know what is causing this behaviour? . . and how to resolve it?

Sunday, August 23, 2009 9:04 PM
  • Suggestion 1 completely solved the problem. 
    No ugly messege "This tab has been recovered" any more.
    You are real professional!
    Thank you very much
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 4:58 PM
  • I've been having this problem for some time now and I've tried a variety of methods to resolve it. However, i'm still having the same problems.
    I have tried suggestions 1 and 2 from Robinson Zhang and they haven't worked either.
    Running without Add-ons prevents the tab being recovered but I am unable to view flashplayer items and of course you cannot download when running without add-ons.
    Unfortunately, the only web page I am bothered about that is affected by this problem is one that I usually use on a regular basis (the iplayer on the bbc website).
    I have also run malware virus checker and mcafee virus scans to see if I can clear any viruses that could be causing the problems, but these have not made any difference.

If anybody can help I'd very much appreciate it.

Donnybri
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:53 PM
  • this tab has been recovered ??? what the heck is this feature for ?? very annoying and make people crazy when this up, all the up/download datas gone ???
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:47 AM
  • Try going into safe mode and running a full system scan. Worked for me! Adware was the problem.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 1:01 AM
  • Hi Robinson,
    Your advice with MSConfig was  right.
    I start to experiment with some options and have found that solution is:
    1. Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.
    2. Click the Startup tab
    3. In list of programs find : vegas    (Command rundll32.exe C:\Windows system 32) and disable i
    I suppose that it is "virus"

Thank you
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:05 PM
  • Eventually found problem was Google tools like "Spell" + "Translate". All disable those buttons then never happened again since.

Not Virus at all
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:53 AM
  • Okay! This is a solution to this:

Go to the start menu and click on run. In the text box type msconfig.
    Go to startup.
    Uncheck losalamos
    It will ask you to restart your computer.
    After this, it should work as it did for me.
    You can also get rid of this manually using regedit. HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run.
    • Proposed as answer by Aksshay Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:43 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:10 AM
  • I tried many of the proposed solutions but in the end I found the solution myself.
    I found that adobe flash player and microsoft silverlight were not compatible, so I disabled the silverlight add-on.
    Simple as that.
    Thanks for all the proposed solutions
    Brian
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 10:35 AM
  • Thanks Darren.  Your solution was 100%.  Problem solved.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 4:12 PM
  • Darren how it's 
    ¿Uncheck losalamos?
    Type error? or is a joke

please retype
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:57 PM
  • It is january 2010 and I am having the same problem described in these many posts.  Ie 8 keeps failing because it has "a problem with this web page causes internet explorer to close and reopen the tab" . Happens on everything other than MSN home Page.  I have tried all suggestions and continue to have the problem. Posting from a second computer. Running IE 8 with windows XP.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 11:19 PM
  • Vegan,
    Thanks for the advice/response but still same problem.  Wondering if reinstalling ie would help.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 1:55 PM
  • Hello,

I have just read all these posts, and am not sure which solution to try.  I have the exact same problem, but it only occurs when I try to download Adobe Flashplayer 10.  About a month ago, whenever I tried to run something requiring Flashplayer, such as a Youtube video, I would get this message:

"Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."

I've made sure that JavaScript is enabled.  I've uninstalled whatever flash player was on my computer, following Adobe instructions, and I've tried to install Flash Player 10, but each time, I get the message:

"a problem with this webpage caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen..."

I'm running IE8.  I've also reset  all Internet Explorer settings back to original default condition.

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.  I can't run anything requiring Flash Player.  Before this all started, I had no problem.  I'm wondering if FlashPlayer 10 is a new version and causing me some conflict.

thank you!

Friday, January 22, 2010 4:29 PM
  • This is in follow-up to the above.  I notice also that I have Silverlight 2.0(2) on my desktop.  Someone else mentioned it as a conflict above.  Could that be a cause of my problems?
    Friday, January 22, 2010 5:12 PM
  • I have tried all the suggestions above and it has not solved the problem. I even bought a registry cleaner and that didn't help.  I have Vista Home & IE8.  Is there a way to remove IE8 and go back to IE7?
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 2:58 PM
  • I finally semi-solved my problem!  The other day, I uninstalled Silverlight (don't even know how I got it) - but that made no difference.  Today I was using Google Chrome as web browser rather than IE8, and I was able to download Flashplayer no problem.  Now, I can view videos, etc. with no error messages, but still cannot view videos in IE8 (youtube, for example) - still getting same message that I need to download updated version of Flashplayer, although I already have.

I use Google Chrome for my gmail account.  I have two gmail accounts, and gmail won't let me have them both open simultaneously unless I'm logged into them in two different browsers, so I use IE8 and Google Chrome, but I don't like to use Google Chrome for a lot of other things, because it doesn't work with McAfee Site Advisor.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:44 PM
  • You could have a conflict with other programs on your computer - go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737/en-us and click on the FIX IT tab and follow the promptsw
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 8:08 PM
  • Thanks Boss , its working well
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Probably u have visited some site which asked u to download some plugin to play some video.

1. First check ur startup files. 
    2. For this go to Start > Run  and type msconfig.
    3. Go to Startup tab and check for the Startup item.
    4. You will find some unusual names in column 'Startup Item' like TOY5KNQ8OC and Canaveral etc.
    5. Uncheck them and note down their path (you may find complete path in the column name 'Command').
    6.  Delete these files from that directory by rebooting the PC in Safe Mode.

Bye
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 6:27 PM
  • Possible Solution to "this tab has been recovered ie8 xp"

First open internet explorer, click on "Tools" them "Windows Updates" install updates if available. (is important to go to Microsoft web site form here, so some services get enable)

After this is complete: Open internet explorer, click on "Tools" them click on "Compatibility View Settings". Add a couple of sites, and mark "display all websites in compatibility view"

and the issue should be solved.

Good luck.

Friday, April 02, 2010 5:17 AM
  • Thank you so much, Robert Zhang. Now I have no issues on IE8. But, can I know how to re-enable the disabled items? I don't know what I have disabled. Sorry, this problem may sounds stupid to most of you. But, pls help this computer illiterate over here!
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 2:20 PM
  • Solution #1 by Robinson Zhang worked great for me also.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 2:24 PM
  • 1)First use the MSCONFIG suggestion to disable all in the startup tab then restart.

2)Open IE and go to internet options -> Advanced -> reset all and click ok. Done

this worked for me. try it

Saturday, April 10, 2010 1:54 AM
  • Thanks !

Solution from Robinson Zhang work for me.

Window 7

IE 8

error 'this tab has been recovered website restore error'

lastly found cause by "canaveral rundll"

just uncheck it in startup tab

Thank you very much

Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:53 AM
  •  

Hi,

I suspect the issue is cuased by an incorrect setting or third party software. I have the following suggestions.

1. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

Does it work?

Hope it helps.

Thanks, Robinson Zhang!  Your Suggestion # 1 worked for me!  I suspected that my problem was being caused by the Limewire Toolbar which I accidently installed as an option along with Limewire.  Resetting as you suggested removed the Limewire toolbar without me having to uninstall Limewire (which then I would have had to re-install it without the toolbar option).  Thanks again!
    • Proposed as answer by seypul Saturday, May 15, 2010 11:22 PM
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 1:17 PM
  • The cause of IE.8 getting error and crashing due to a malware infected.

Solution:

Delete IE.8 First!

1. Control Panel > Program And Features > Turn Window Features On And Off (Left Top Corner) > UnTick Internet Explorer > Click Ok.

2. Install Malware-bytes > http://www.malwarebytes.org/

3. Quick Scan will detect this following Malware:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
    www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4103

Windows 6.1.7600
    Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

15/5/2010 11:44:54 PM
    mbam-log-2010-05-15 (23-44-54).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
    Objects scanned: 112230
    Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 1
    Registry Keys Infected: 4
    Registry Values Infected: 0
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
    C:\Windows\System32\sshnas21.dll (Trojan.Downloader) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\M5T8QL3YW3 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\XML (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Handle (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\QZAIB7KITK (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
    C:\Windows\Tasks\{8C3FDD81-7AE0-4605-A46A-2488B179F2A3}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    C:\Windows\System32\sshnas21.dll (Trojan.Downloader) -> Delete on reboot.
    C:\Windows\Tasks\{35DC3473-A719-4d14-B7C1-FD326CA84A0C}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    And just reboot and reinstall IE 8 . =)

• Proposed as answer by seypul Saturday, May 15, 2010 11:40 PM
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 11:30 PM
  • Hi dear freind Robinson,

I had the same problem ("this tab has been removed") then I did the way as per your instruction and it was successful.

It was very good experience.

Thanks, Thanks a lot.

Monday, May 17, 2010 10:28 AM
  •  

Hi,

Does it work?

Hope it helps.

really nice explanation, its working good
    Monday, May 17, 2010 10:28 AM
  • REMOVED SILVERLIGHT.EXE AND EVERYTHING WENT BACK TO NORMAL ???Had nothing to do with virus or malware.

that was using Exp 8 with Kaspersky, did not happen with Mozilla

Friday, May 28, 2010 8:30 AM
  • I only started having this problem today, whenever I try to go to Youtube's page, which worked fine on IE8 before, it tries to recover the tab, and whenever I go to a page I found on a search from Google it "recovers" that tab too. I found the best way of stopping it from recovering so far is by hitting the "Stop" button, however that's very annoying. I'm using an old XP, and I honestly hate this "Tab Recovery" thing. Is there any way to disable it?
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 3:11 AM
  • Hi,

Does it work?

Hope the above will satisfy your requirements, i remain.

Thursday, June 03, 2010 4:47 AM
  • If anybody still having the problem this might be a solution. After I have formatted and reinstalled all my notebook I have realized that I still have the problem. so I went step by step. So, if you have changed your host file in Windows/drivers/etc, just find the original host file and put it there deleting the changed one. I hope this works for you too.
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 5:12 PM
  • Seypul, thank you very much for this solution.  It was the exact problem.  Very much appreciated.
    Monday, July 05, 2010 8:16 AM
  • In my case I used msconfig, disable the services like Halo2 and the JDK34534JHKj and deleting any files in which the msconfig startup tab pointing.

It worked perfectly. I think this is a trojan or malware, but the only problem I have noticed is the IE8 tab error.

*** I use the MSE and was not detected anything!

Monday, July 12, 2010 4:59 AM
  • Hi,

I disabled any suspect services, but still have the problem. I can't open silverlight applications either.

I'm using win 7 x64 and ie8.

Please help me

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:11 AM
  • I tried everything, but nothing help for me. I tried to uninstall the silverlight plugin, but I got error:

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2753. The arguments are: XAPAuthenticodeSIPDLL, ,
    === Logging stopped: 2010.07.20.  15:00:39 ===

Please help me,

L

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 1:03 PM
  • I have the same problem, and occurs when i try to download Adobe Flash Player or play Chess on MSN online games, only those games which require to run Active Control X or require Adobe Flash player have problems.

I have tried most of the above suggestions but not yet solved the issue.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:24 AM
  • Remove the Microsoft java Virtual Machine

explained here

http://www.slickit.ca/2009/03/internet-explorer-fix-ie8-dep-crashes.html

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Guys.. Its default recovery error. Its like just a default error page.  There can be more than one reason for the same, like certificate error etc. Generally, installing JRE(Java runtime envirionment - can be downloaded from sun) solves the problem in most of the cases.

My team members had the same problem, when they wer given new PC with 4GB ram & i5 and fresh installation. Everyone had the same problem visting any site that was JRE enabled.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:49 AM
  • About two weeks ago when trying to access my Yahoo mail, I got the same message many others who have posted on this thread received ==  "A problem with this web page caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen the tab."  This was soon followed by "We were unable to return you to yahoo.com.  Internet Explorer has stopped trying to restore this website. It continues to have a problem."  I made numerous attempts on my own to resolve this problem with no success.  Then when searching for outside help, I found this thread, and discovered that many others had encountered the same problem.  I then went thru the many suggested solutions on this thread, and finally found that the one posted by salasguy in "Suggestion 1: Reset Internet Explorer Settings" seems to have solved my problem.  It was stated in one of the postings here that there are possibly many reasons  which could cause this same problem.  That is possibly true.  I do not know what was solved by the resetting internet explorer settings.  I did not intentionally change any settings on my own, I just started seeing this problem.  I suspect it was a Microsoft Update that did it.  I had a problem in the recent past that was caused by such an update -  you may remember that one, since it caused problems world wide.  I wish Microsoft would do  better at testing their updates before releasing them on the public.
    Monday, September 13, 2010 3:18 AM
  • THE BEST SOLUTION:

(1) Press Alt+Ctrl+Del and Start Task Manager

(2) Go to Processes and find something like rundll*32

(3) Right click and select "End Process Tree"

(4) Your problem is solved.....try running IE now

Friday, October 08, 2010 1:16 PM
  • THE BEST SOLUTION:

Friday, October 08, 2010 1:16 PM
  • THE BEST SOLUTION:

Friday, October 08, 2010 1:17 PM
  • THE BEST SOLUTION:

Friday, October 08, 2010 1:18 PM
  • THE BEST SOLUTION:

Friday, October 08, 2010 1:19 PM
  • THE BEST SOLUTION:

Friday, October 08, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Hi All,

This is more likelely to be a problem with one of your support programs, for example Adobe Flash Player or maybe Java.

If you've all tried the methods of resetting your IE state, uninstalling and reinstalling Explorer 8 then you must have a problem with Flash etc. usual tell tale, does google work but msn doesn't? if so then it's more likely Adobe Flash.

I would strongly recommend uninstalling these throught the add/remove programs module and reinstalling the later versions direct from the authors website.

This should do the trick, and I'm suprised by the length of this thread for such a simple problem!!

Adrian

Apograph Data Systems Ltd

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:42 AM
  • I had the same problem.  I disabled the MSN toolbar and everything worked fine.
    • Proposed as answer by Burn Under Tuesday, November 02, 2010 11:40 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 12:28 AM
  • I had the problem while trying to download a keygen for realplayer sp. Suddenly as i opened it as a keygen the problem of the tab has been recovered message and the website you are trying to view has a problem and internet explorer needs to close and reopen the tab message was displayed in loop.

even my multi yahoo messenger didnot displayed any text while i was trying to send a message or received any message despite of me being able to see the friend list.

What I did was i checked up my start up services and there i found NICE WARE being checked. I unched it. uninstalled yahoo messenger. restarted my computer. Now things started fine. Internet explorer IE 8 worked well.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Hi there , i hope u r all fine

I'v tried many solutions from above , so thank for all for the great efforts

may be some solutions work with another cases but not with me

i suggest for the people who face this problem to

CHANGE THE USER PROFILE

and may god bless u all

Sunday, November 07, 2010 11:38 PM
  • please check this blog for your reference

What we can do if error message “the tab has been recovered, A problem with this web page caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen the tab” happen when you browsing some website through Internet Explorer 8.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2010/11/03/what-we-can-do-if-error-message-the-tab-has-been-recovered-a-problem-with-this-web-page-caused-internet-explorer-to-close-and-reopen-the-tab-happen-when-you-browsing-some-website-through-internet-explorer-8.aspx

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:35 AM
  • I was able to get rid of this message by disabling Add-On "Blog this in Windows Live Writer" in IE8.

Tools -> Internet Options -> [Programs Tab] -> {Manage add-ons button}

Blog This in Windows Live Writer -------------------- set to Disable

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:20 AM
  • Wow! Thanks BB!!  After reading all these suggestions(& opinions), I did what you said..and in just a minute or 2, and a few mouse clicks. all was fixed. And, fixed by Microsoft.

Merry Christmas to ya!

Friday, December 10, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Hello,  I read through the posts and I must tell you that since I upgrated adobe flash player i've been experiencing the same problem.  I followed all your directions and it didn't correct the problem either.  I'm suspecting it's an adobe plug-in error, it occurs mostly when graphics or videos are trying to display.  Any thoughts?
    Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:43 PM
  • I thought I would post this in case anyone else arrives here after experiencing this same problem when trying to install software from Adobe.com (Flash, Reader, etc).  In my case, the problem was that a security setting in Internet Explorer was blocking the Adobe download manager from accessing a particular memory location.  This resulted in Internet Explorer attempting to reload the tab, and eventually displaying the message that it was unable to reload the tab.  Fixing the problem is quite simple.  Go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced, and under "Security", uncheck "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks".  With this feature off, the Adobe download manager is able to function properly and install the software.  This may work in other cases as well.  Only suggestion I would make is to be sure and turn this security feature back on once you are finished running whatever it is that was causing the problem.  Also, making sure you have an active antivirus protection running (such as AVG) wile the security feature is turned off might be a good idea.
    • Proposed as answer by woodyl4 Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:30 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by woodyl4 Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:30 PM
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:20 PM
  • REMOVED SILVERLIGHT.EXE AND EVERYTHING WENT BACK TO NORMAL . EASY .

Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:31 PM
  •  Go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced, and under "Security", uncheck "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks". Disabling this is solving the issue, but once i switch it back to enable mode, its gone again.

What is this feature , is it safe to leave it disabled.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Thank you so much!! This worked for me! It also updated it to internet 8 thank goodness I had 2 computers so i could find this out one one and fix the other one! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 4:55 PM
  •  

After trying all the suggested solution what was found to work

Copy all the text between the "***" into Notepad, save it to a file named  IEReg.bat (possibly IEReg.cmd)

run this file in safe mode by clicking on it

This is a solution for a different error, but have found the error accompanies this same problem

;0x80070424 = ERROR_SERVICE_DOES_NOT_EXIST

regsvr32 comcat.dll /s
    regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /s
    regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /i /s
    regsvr32 asctrls.ocx /s
    regsvr32 oleaut32.dll /s
    regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /I /s
    regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /s
    regsvr32 browseui.dll /s
    regsvr32 browseui.dll /I /s
    regsvr32 msrating.dll /s
    regsvr32 mlang.dll /s
    regsvr32 hlink.dll /s
    regsvr32 mshtmled.dll /s
    regsvr32 urlmon.dll /s
    regsvr32 plugin.ocx /s
    regsvr32 sendmail.dll /s
    regsvr32 scrobj.dll /s
    regsvr32 mmefxe.ocx /s
    regsvr32 corpol.dll /s
    regsvr32 jscript.dll /s
    regsvr32 msxml.dll /s
    regsvr32 imgutil.dll /s
    regsvr32 thumbvw.dll /s
    regsvr32 cryptext.dll /s
    regsvr32 rsabase.dll /s
    regsvr32 inseng.dll /s
    regsvr32 iesetup.dll /i /s
    regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s
    regsvr32 actxprxy.dll /s
    regsvr32 dispex.dll /s
    regsvr32 occache.dll /s
    regsvr32 occache.dll /i /s
    regsvr32 iepeers.dll /s
    regsvr32 urlmon.dll /i /s
    regsvr32 cdfview.dll /s
    regsvr32 webcheck.dll /s
    regsvr32 mobsync.dll /s
    regsvr32 pngfilt.dll /s
    regsvr32 licmgr10.dll /s
    regsvr32 icmfilter.dll /s
    regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx /s
    regsvr32 inetcfg.dll /s
    regsvr32 tdc.ocx /s
    regsvr32 MSR2C.DLL /s
    regsvr32 msident.dll /s
    regsvr32 msieftp.dll /s
    regsvr32 xmsconf.ocx /s
    regsvr32 ils.dll /s
    regsvr32 msoeacct.dll /s
    regsvr32 inetcomm.dll /s
    regsvr32 msdxm.ocx /s
    regsvr32 dxmasf.dll /s
    regsvr32 l3codecx.ax /s
    regsvr32 acelpdec.ax /s
    regsvr32 mpg4ds32.ax /s
    regsvr32 voxmsdec.ax /s
    regsvr32 danim.dll /s
    regsvr32 Daxctle.ocx /s
    regsvr32 lmrt.dll /s
    regsvr32 datime.dll /s
    regsvr32 dxtrans.dll /s
    regsvr32 dxtmsft.dll /s
    regsvr32 WEBPOST.DLL /s
    regsvr32 WPWIZDLL.DLL /s
    regsvr32 POSTWPP.DLL /s
    regsvr32 CRSWPP.DLL /s
    regsvr32 FTPWPP.DLL /s
    regsvr32 FPWPP.DLL /s
    regsvr32 WUAPI.DLL /s
    regsvr32 WUAUENG.DLL /s
    regsvr32 ATL.DLL /s
    regsvr32 WUCLTUI.DLL /s
    regsvr32 WUPS.DLL /s
    regsvr32 WUWEB.DLL /s
    regsvr32 wshom.ocx /s
    regsvr32 wshext.dll /s
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll /s
    regsvr32 scrrun.dll mstinit.exe /setup /s
    regsvr32 msnsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s
    regsvr32 msapsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s
    exit

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:58 AM
  •  

In addition to the above the security setting need to be changed

http://www.ehow.com/how_7273253_activex-won_t-run.html

While the computer with the problem had the correct settings, changed one and saved the change. which then ActiveX worked

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:32 PM
  • I get this message occasionally with Netflix.

After trying your second suggestion(IE without addons), Netflix told me I needed Silverlight. So I took a chance and downloaded and reinstalled Silverlight and now my Netflix is loading. Not sure if it is a permanent fix but it's working for now at least. I'm guessing my Silverlight was corrupt or out of date.

• Proposed as answer by sjs38 Friday, June 24, 2011 2:24 PM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:23 PM
  •  

Hi,

Does it work?

Hope it helps.

It is the best solution. I tried it and I solved this trouble. Thanks alot for you
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 1:20 PM
  • I found this problem with a page I was working on recently.  While searching the internet for a solution I found that the users were trying to fix it rather than the developers.  I was able to fix this issue in my page by loading Jquery locally.  Loading jquery from jquery.com was causing this problem.  If any developers are dealing with this that might be something to look at.
    • Proposed as answer by Gary Hottman Thursday, December 08, 2011 4:10 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Hi,

I suspect the issue is caused by an incorrect setting or third party software. I have the following suggestions.

1. Please open Internet Explorer, click “Tools”, and click “Internet Options”.

2. Switch to the “Advanced” tab.

3. Refer to “Reset Internet Explorer Settings” section, and click “Reset”.

4. Click “Close” when the resetting process is complete.

Suggestion 3: Try to use the compatibility mode.

Suggestion 4: Click Tools>Options>Advance>disable third party browser extension.

Suggestion 5: Try a Clean Boot

2. Click the Services tab, check the Hide All Microsoft Services box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to narrow down the problem.

http://www.askiyogi.com/internet-internet-programs/5785.html

Hope this information helps you.

Friday, September 30, 2011 8:04 AM
  • The problem has to do with older java versions NOT compatible with internet explorer 9 or 8. Java is a separate program that runs on top of internet explorer. Java needs to "test" or co-operate with microsoft before making software that cause problems. Half baked software. ALSO, a lot of ADVICE is BAD advice!!! A lot of people should NOT be giving technical support advice if you don't know what you are doing!!! Some of the replies or solutions don't WORK! like UNINSTALLING internet explorere or add-on!!!! This is the easy SOLUTION! uninstall all old java update versions in remove programs you have to remove all java versions and install right version install newer version at the java.com http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2506617 Internet Explorer 9 may stop working when you visit a website that requires the Java Plug-in if you have Java Version 6 Update 22 or Java Version 6 Update 23 installed. When this problem occurs, you may receive an error message that resembles the following in the notification bar at the bottom of the Internet Explorer page: "A problem with this webpage caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen the tab. Additionally, you are not returned to the webpage, and Internet Explorer displays the following message on the page: We were unable to return you to your webpage. Internet Explorer has stopped trying to restore this website. It appears that the website continues to have a problem. Back to the top CAUSE This problem occurs because of an issue with Java Version 6 Update 22 and Java V... This problem occurs because of an issue with Java Version 6 Update 22 and Java Version 6 Update 23 that was exposed by recent changes in the Internet Explorer 9 rendering engine. Back to the top RESOLUTION To resolve this issue, download and install the latest version of the Java. To d... To resolve this issue, download and install the latest version of the Java. To do this, visit the following Java website: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp (http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp) To temporarily work around this issue, view these webpages in Internet Explorer 9 Compatibility View. Compatibility View forces Internet Explorer to render the webpage in the Internet Explorer 8 document mode, which does not contain the Internet Explorer 9 changes to the rendering engine. $$$$The compatiblity view temporary solution doesn't work either. To add a website to Compatibility View when you are unable to visit that website, follow these steps: 1.Start Internet Explorer. 2.Press the Alt key on the keyboard to access the menu. 3.Click Tools, and then click Compatibility View Settings. 4.Type the address of the website in the Add this website text box. 5.Click Add to add the site to the Compatibility View list, and then close the Compatibility View Settings window. 6.Visit the website again to see whether the issue is resolved. Video: How to add a website to Compatibility View when you are unable to visit that website
    • Proposed as answer by Dorothy531 Friday, December 23, 2011 7:00 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 5:56 AM
  • @babwatch7 --- I'm assuming just a JAVA update didn't fix everyone's problem, but coupled with the Compatibility View should have. Everyone's issue is different technically(browser, version of IE and/or Windows, etc). BTW, updating my version of java didn't work.

@forum -- My situation is specifically IE8 (new install from windows update) on Win XP. With or without add-ons, I was still getting a particular page crashing 9 out of 10 times, but most of my other browsing was fine.  I've tried ALL SUGGESTIONS in this thread and none have worked as a whole. Resetting IE, running no add-ons, removing add-ons, updating java, windows updates ... and then the winner. The fix for me was "Compatibility Mode" + JAVA update. Again, for my issue specifically. At least Microsoft created a safety net for emulating a stable/base/working/whatever-you-wanna-call-it version so that most of the compatibility issues in IE8 can be corrected.

Friday, December 09, 2011 5:38 PM
  • I had tried numerous other solutions posted to no avail. I tried this one and it worked perfectly I agreed that those who are not technically savvy should not give out useless advice. Again, this is the correct solution.
    Friday, December 23, 2011 6:58 PM
  • I had tried numerous other solutions posted to no avail. I tried this one and it worked perfectly I agreed that those who are not technically savvy should not give out useless advice. Again, this is the correct solution.
    What is the solution, Dorothy? You say you tried the correct solution, but you do not say what it is. But, like so many others in this thread, this too is a problem that has vexed me, and I have tried all of the solutions offered in this thread, and none of them have worked! Let's recap just a few...

Solution: Restore Interet Explorer settings.
    Results: Didn't work.

Solution: Run Internet Explorer without add-ons.

Solution: Start > Run > MSCONFIG > Disable this, that, whatever.

Solution: Use Compatibility View
    Results: What in the world does Compatibility View do anyway? Either wait, didn't work.

Solution: Check to see if certain programs are not compatible with each other.
    Results: I don't what I could possibly have that isn't compatible with other programs, didn't work.

Solution: Update Java.
    Results: Turned out to be only a temporary fix, the problem resumed after I had shut down my computer for the night and rebooted the next morning.

Someone mentioned in this thread it could be Adware or something: I've run Spybot - Search & Destroy and came up clean, and right now I'm running Malwarebytes' Antimalware, and so far it's turning up clean as well.

This problem appears to be even bigger than any of you guys realize, because it's not just affecting Internet Explorer, it's also affecting Firefox and Chrome as well... in fact, it affects them even worse, whereas the problem in IE is the senseless refreshing of the page/tab until you get the "Website Restore Error", both Firefox and Chrome simply crash altogether and close.

So again, I ask, what IS this "correct" solution? I'm losing my mind here!
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 6:02 PM
  • I had a customer with this issue today. After hours of trying all the proposed solutions to no avail, I uninstalled and reinstalled IE8. That did it. Hope that works for you.
    Monday, January 09, 2012 5:41 PM
  • I found this problem with a page I was working on recently.  While searching the internet for a solution I found that the users were trying to fix it rather than the developers.  I was able to fix this issue in my page by loading Jquery locally.  Loading jquery from jquery.com was causing this problem.  If any developers are dealing with this that might be something to look at.

Hi fellow developers, This worked for me too

Sunday, January 15, 2012 3:46 PM

Hi fellow developers, This worked for me too

Changing jQuery to load locally didn't quite do it for me, but then I switched from jQuery 1.6.2 to 1.5.1 and that fixed the problem for me! So I'm using jQuery 1.5.1 and loading it locally. (I haven't fully investigated which versions work and which don't - that's just what I tried.) I hope this will help others.
    • Proposed as answer by track23 Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:15 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:13 AM
  • Suggestion 1 worked!!!! Thank you
    Friday, February 17, 2012 6:07 PM
  • I tried every solution on this page and only 1 has worked for me.

Go to control panel, Internet options. (normally you could do this within IE but since it crashes you can’t).

Then click on the Advanced tab, and under Accelerated Graphics, check the box next to “Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering”. In other words, turn off hardware acceleration.

Good Luck =)

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:39 PM
  • At some point in time, I started to get this issue:

I am using IE 8.0.6001.18702 on Windows XP SP3 and kept getting booted out of the loading of Windows Update.  It would close / re-open the tab and print "This tab has been recovered in IE8".

My solution was to go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Browsing

Once there, uncheck "Automatically reocver from page layout errors with Compatability View"

After doing this, I was able to access Windows Update once again!  Hope this helps someone

Monday, July 16, 2012 7:06 PM
  • I searched and searched for a fix for the same problem... it was driving me crazy. I couldn't get on the internet without running into this same message. I finally saw where someone suggested that you use a different browser than IE such as FIREFOX. I deleted Internet Explorer and installed FIREFOX. For the first time in months of trying all sorts of supposed fixes I am able to use the internet without those annoying "this tab has been recovered" or "a problem with this webpage has caused"... etc

It worked for me!!

• Edited by Harley Gal Monday, July 23, 2012 4:06 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Harley Gal Monday, July 23, 2012 4:07 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 4:06 AM
  • I followed all the above steps but i did not get any solution. but finally i got the solution for the same problem i want to share this all of you guys.

my lot of thanks to www.techsupportall.com

Please follow these steps to resolve that problem

http://www.techsupportall.com/a-problem-with-the-webpage-caused-internet-explorer-to-close-and-reopen-the-tab/
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 7:11 PM
  • The way to fix this issues is re installing the service pack... If it's win xp install service pack 3. I ran in to this issue on a windows xp client. I kinda stumbled across the fix but I had the same issues with windows xp pro. I don't know about windows 7.. But give it a try install the service pack write back let know no if it worked..... Try reinstalling the service pack. Write back to the post let me know if this is works..
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 12:09 AM
  • I work in IT and this will drive you crazy, I have solved this problem on some end user pc's by having them uninstall and re-install Microsoft Silverlight, if you have trouble uninstalling or it does not work try this tool, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2608523 and if that fails try the fix it from here as well http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651 (this one will remove almost anything you choose through the Registry automatically)  If this fails you need to rebuild the Windows profile, at home, just create a new admin user in control panel and copy over your data, on a domain you have to login to another admin account, delete the profile list reg key at:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList (look at the ProfileImagePath to tell which is which) then rename the user profile folder in C:\Users to (userid).old then have them login again to rebuild the profile and then copy data (although if you are on a domain you probably already know this) you can do this at home as well, but it is easier to create a new user in control panel, because you don't have to touch the Registry. PS. Instructions for win 7 only xp is very similar but has a few small differences. Windows Profile rebuilds are a last resort (because you have to copy all your user data over) but it is usually easier than re-installing windows (because you are just coping things from say, you old documents folder to your new one) and it will fix a LARGE amount of strange problems that you cannot identify the root cause.

Hope this Helps anyone in the future!

Sunday, June 30, 2013 8:39 AM
  • In my end user's case with a Win7 setup, SFC /scannow found corrupt S files it said it couldn't fix

We ended up with a disk wipe.

Will be running Dell Hardware diags from the boot menu to make sure a hard disk problem didn't cause the OS corruption.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:17 PM
  • Change the Keyboard, resolve this issue

Thursday, May 01, 2014 7:05 AM