none
Screensaver won't work in windows 8

Question

•  I have tried to get any screensaver to work in windows 8 and don't know what the problem is. I select any one of them, preview them, set time and turn each on but none of them respond and screen just goes blank when screensaver should kick in. I am using IE 10. I have tried all maintenance troubleshooting options but nothing comes up. Has anyone had this problem and know what is causing the problem and know how I can get this feature working properly again?

waynel

Monday, February 25, 2013 11:39 AM

Answers

• In most cases, the only true screen saver is a computer in sleep mode. Any selected screen saver, and in particular, a static picture, is doing nothing towards saving the screen. The pixels are active, and, if a consideration, power is still being used to drive the screen.

David Clarke

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:49 AM

All replies

• Have you followed procedure described here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/using-screen-savers ?

I do not think the IE 10 make any problem here.

Regards

Milos

PS: It is helpful to say if it is new or old installation as well as your findings in Event logs.

Monday, February 25, 2013 1:56 PM
  • Thanks for replying. Yes I already have tried the process you recommend. It seems I have tried everything I can think of and tested every screensaver etc but this feature just won't work and I can't figure out why. I have tried all types of troubleshooting (far too many to explain) Again, thanks for your reply and I hope I can get this feature working again

waynel

Monday, February 25, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

IE 10 should not affect the screensaver.

I suggest to boot with Clean Boot for test:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue persists, try to create another administrator account and login to see if the same issue occurs.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:24 AM
  • In most cases, the only true screen saver is a computer in sleep mode. Any selected screen saver, and in particular, a static picture, is doing nothing towards saving the screen. The pixels are active, and, if a consideration, power is still being used to drive the screen.

David Clarke

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:49 AM
  • I realize this is and old post I came across it looking for something else, If you set you saver to one minute it will work, When I find time I will edit the registry key and post it here for you. I know 1 minute is not enough but i am only telling you it will work. How about keeping it simple people that is what most people want. Win 8 I have had to fix so many problems like this it is not funny. P.S. I have left one of my machines with Win 8 just for this purpose. Cheers. Wazza21
    • Proposed as answer by Cabledave Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:03 PM
    Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:36 AM
  • I couldn't get my screensaver to work - so I set it to one minute as suggested, and now it works.  Thanks!
    Sunday, May 25, 2014 8:37 PM