none
Updates Failing

Question

• Hi everyone,

Have Vista ultimate running in my pc.  For the past 6 days I am not able to update.  It returns an error code 80073712.  I have been to all forums but to no avail.  Contacted call center, still no help.  Any one has any ideas?  I have done the Dirtystore idea, and the softwaredistribution  folder contents delete as well.  Kindly help. 

Thursday, June 07, 2007 12:53 AM

All replies

• I think the call center MUST give you a solution:

For information about Security updates, visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates.

Sunday, June 24, 2007 4:42 AM
  • The call center people were unable to provide me with an answer.  I solved it myself by reinstalling vista ultimate.  This did the trick.  Even two days back i got the same message with another error code that windows was not able to automatcally update.  I follwed the suggestion given on google search and went to H_key Local   Machine/Software/Microsoft/Currentcontolset/Connections/Winhttpsettings and deleted the key. This also worked.  I looked up the log and i saw the problem everytime arises after the new software for windows update was installed.  I hope MS works this out !!!!

Sunday, June 24, 2007 10:52 PM
  • I am thinking the problem was related to other software or not. As most Update problem in here are corrupted data in the update folder. But I don't think MS cannot give you a answer. I call the SUpport service from MS before, they spend many time and solve my problem.
    Monday, June 25, 2007 2:31 AM
  •  

I'm having the same problem, Have you been able to fix this? I just get Vista.
    Sunday, March 02, 2008 12:43 PM
  • Hi bill,

I had this problem long time back.  If you see the date of the post it was in June 07.  Now i am running Ultimate vista 64-bit with no problem.  I had reinstalled vista the first time the updates failed.  Nowadays i do not get this problem.

regards

Sunday, March 02, 2008 10:40 PM
  • Hi, I am experiencing the problem right now. I received the error code 80073712, when trying to update. From the failed update of XML services and Windows Defender. Since, these updates failed, error reports are being created and being put onto my hd. It is making around 1500-2500 reports per day and it is using up about 15 gigs per day. It is very frustrating.

Thursday, March 06, 2008 11:57 PM
  • I have been getting the same error concerning the mail update.  I have been getting this error since the update came out. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Security Update for Windows Mail for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB941202)

Installation date: ‎3/‎7/‎2008 6:47 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80073712

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in Windows Mail that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=96629

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Windows Mail, with no joy.

I attemped tech support, but they bailed on me after a week.  I ran SFC /scannow and recieved the error, "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."  However, after reviewing the output, no errors existed in the log file.

I haven't found any threads concerning this problem either.

Friday, March 07, 2008 9:39 PM
  •  

i am having the same problem

i think the problem is with, microsoft itself.

i heard that some updated files (from ms windows update site) are outdated...?

i cant update windows

everytime i do, after failing everything on windows update, computer resets and goes into this loop, welcome... configuring updates... shutdown... and back to welcome, like in a loop. last time i tried that, computer keept on the loop for 2 days until i turned my computer off.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:23 AM
  •  

I'm having the same error problem. If you call that number, they refer you to the Vista General Assist number: 800-936-5700 dial 0 and tell them its a Vista update install problem. There is no charge. But after 1.5 hours with them, I'm still getting the same error. Sad
    Friday, March 28, 2008 5:06 AM
  •  

microsoft. microsoft! MICROSOFT!!!!!

when are you ms guys going to fix this problem. a while ago i did it again, install windows, and for the last time i try updating my system. after download and installing the updates, my computer went into the loop for 3 days, until i finally formated and install vista again, now i am afraid to hit the windows update button, when, oh when, will i finally have peace, and be able to update windows again. will this go on forever?

i have a legal copy of windows vista home-premium the 64bit version;

my system if u need to know:

intel d975xbx

intel core 2 duo e6700

ocz sli 8gb ddr2 800

evga geforce 8800 gts 640

help!

thanks,

andre.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 3:06 AM
  • There is no solution.  The only solution is to reinstall Vista and, if you have an OEM'ed version, that means compeltely wiping your entire hard drive and reloading everything.  Vista is an absolute, total, complete piece of garbage.  Microsoft should be ashamed for putting such a pile of *** out in the marketplace.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 2:40 AM
  • I am also having the same problem. if i can not find a fix, i will just reinstall from the disk I made with Vista's back up. it will only take me half an hour.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 7:31 PM
  • What about a call centre or a number for South Africa....Free ...OR is there a number to contact?please help .this is related to error Code 80073712
    Friday, June 12, 2009 1:23 AM