none
Windows 7 highlight text color or selected text color in aero

Question

• Is there a way to change the background color of highlighted or selected text/files with aero? Back in Vista, it was not possible to change it unless you downgraded from aero to basic and there seems to be no workaround from the Vista threads. Has this changed in windows 7?
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:39 AM

All replies

• Is there a way to change the background color of highlighted or selected text/files with aero? Back in Vista, it was not possible to change it unless you downgraded from aero to basic and there seems to be no workaround from the Vista threads. Has this changed in windows 7?
    Sure there is. Its in the advanced appearance options  under "Selected items"

I created a bunch of themes with the "selected item" color matching my window color. Personaly thats how I fell it should be by default.
    • Proposed as answer by Alik Levin Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:45 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:42 AM
  • batz,

ChrisGonzales is correct. The only display breakdown menu from previous iterations of Windows is now available under "Change window colors and metrics" from the Start menu.
    -Alex
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:54 PM
  • The answer to your question is yes and no.

No, you cannot change the color of the hottrack effect used by 7 for icons and such. I imagine you might be able to if you were to use the uxTheme patch and create a set of new theme files corresponding this effect to the correct color.

-but-

Yes, you can change the color of the text selection color by using both the Selected items and Hyperlink options in CPL\Personalization\Window Color\Advanced settings.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:31 PM
  • The advanced appearance window says it affects only vista basic, not aero. I can set selected text to black and programs like Firefox will highlight text black if I select them, but the actual aero GUI doesn't get affected. I'm talking about the light blue tinge you get when you hover over start menu programs or highlight one or several items in a folder, the same blue tinge that vista had with aero. All the aero themes I've downloaded have the same blue tinge and only change up the glass color and background.

Here's what I'm talking about when I read about there being no fix in vista. I was thinking maybe win7 might be a little different.
    http://forums.hexus.net/operating-systems-applications/133887-how-customise-vista-aero-esp-highlight-colour.html
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:42 PM
  • oh

Microsoft has problems with their selected color. in aero, you STILL can change the selected item. but it only works when selecting text, or content that does not use the light blue round one (the one found in jump lists and start menu). Even explorer and the desktop when you select icons. That selected color does not change (only the line around the selected color changes)

So I hope Microsoft fixes this, as its a issue right now.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:47 PM
  • I am having the same issue, not being able to change the color of the selections in explorer. I did change it, on accident, when I installed a Litestep theme. After uninstalling Litestep, it kept the same color, even after multiple reboots and such. Just for the record, the color is a darker, greyer blue. I don't want to change back to the default, I want to know how to change that color manually.

Since a Litestep theme changed it, I think the color might be a registry value, controlled by the desktop shell?

Monday, July 09, 2012 10:06 PM