none
Initial problems with Windows 7 RC

Question

• Day 1 Windows 7 RC.
    No problem with download manager or downloading 32bit version. Installation proved no problem as well. Windows found my home network and went online OK
    But it fails to find my C-Media PCI sound card - so no sound - yet! Skype installed v 4.00.226 this crashed IE8. My Win 7 beta has a Skype beta v 4.00.181 which works fine.
    I want to reinstall Win XP instead of Win 7 beta. Will the presence of XP within the same pc albeit on a separate drive stop Win 7 RC saving restore points?
    Old Mig15 pilot.
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 4:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Running Windows XP will remove the Window 7 restore points however you can hide the Vista volume form XP to prevet that.
     See this tutorial.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/127417-system-restore-points-stop-xp-dual-boot-delete.html

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 4:34 PM
  • I have the same problem with my C-Media PCI sound card - Windows 7 does not yet recognize it.  I'm using it for S/PDIF output to my receiver and that is not working for now.  Between that and ARCSOFT Total media theater/recording not working, it's a deal breaker for now.  Loved both 64-bit and 32-bit otherwise with 64-bit having a noticeable edge on speed.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:15 PM
  • I have the same problem with my C-Media PCI sound card - Windows 7 does not yet recognize it.  I'm using it for S/PDIF output to my receiver and that is not working for now.  Between that and ARCSOFT Total media theater/recording not working, it's a deal breaker for now.  Loved both 64-bit and 32-bit otherwise with 64-bit having a noticeable edge on speed.

My installation CD for my C-Media sound card did not install correctly in Win7RC; but the latest Vista drivers on the C-Media website worked fine and now Device Manager lists my sound card as a C-Media PCI device.
    http://www.cmedia.com.tw/drivers.html

Quite why Windows could not find these drivers I'm not sure; or why C-Media devices were "unknown" to Windows either?
    But it worked OK for me.
    Old Mig15 pilot.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:36 PM