none
Win 8 pro Metro Display Tiles not working

Question

• Just wanted to add my name to the list of many people whose tiles are not working in metro screen.

Here are my circumstances:

Upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8
    Had display driver problem my  ATI card had no support(fix this problem found driver)
    But  tiles do not work - except maps.
    They do update in the metro screen but when you click them you get blank screen or just logo.

Actions are have taken:
    Disabled Kaspersky  2013 and used windows firewall.
    Use the apps diagostic tool
    Run >sfc /scannow
    Tested various boot  sequences disabling lots of the services

I have now got the maps application to run I'm not sure whether this did or didn't work in the first place.

All my other tiles just don't work.  Am I the getting the blank white screen or just the logo and the circle spinning.

Just wanted to add my name to the list of many.

Monday, November 19, 2012 10:44 PM

Answers

• Disabled Kaspersky and used windows firewall.

Did you try actually REMOVING it?  Just disabling it via it's interface may still leave the hooks in all the places where it's incompatible with the system.

Do you know that Windows Firewall and Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 are different things?  I hope you don't think that "security" software is that simple.  Or did you mean "used the Microsoft Security Essentials package provided with Windows 8"?

My advice to everyone installing Windows 8 is that they should take the custom install option and avoid upgrading an existing system and inheriting all its problems and gaining all its incompatibilities.  Too many people have too many problems with upgraded systems.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:52 AM
  • I don't think anyone knows for sure, EH.

Early on, people who had Avast antivirus in Windows 7 then upgraded (retaining applications and configuration) found that Metro/Modern stuff didn't work.  The existing Avast installation was incompatible with Windows 8.  They've since released updates that work with Windows 8.

Not everyone finds that these things don't work, though reading this forum it's clear that more than a tiny number are having problems.

Did you upgrade?

With any new operating system I ALWAYS advise doing whatever it takes to create a fresh, clean install.  Upgrading often inherits problems and incompatibilities from the old system.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Simon S W Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:11 PM
    Sunday, December 09, 2012 5:24 PM

All replies

• Oh and also set up and tested and a local account, the same problems.
    Monday, November 19, 2012 10:45 PM
  • Disabled Kaspersky and used windows firewall.

Did you try actually REMOVING it?  Just disabling it via it's interface may still leave the hooks in all the places where it's incompatible with the system.

Do you know that Windows Firewall and Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 are different things?  I hope you don't think that "security" software is that simple.  Or did you mean "used the Microsoft Security Essentials package provided with Windows 8"?

My advice to everyone installing Windows 8 is that they should take the custom install option and avoid upgrading an existing system and inheriting all its problems and gaining all its incompatibilities.  Too many people have too many problems with upgraded systems.

-Noel

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:52 AM
  • Many thanks for response :-)

Re: Security I worked as a Computer Security Analyst for various financial organisations on most platforms - so am pretty "au fait" with Security issues, I used to configure firewalls...for this reason I don't want to remove my software and reply on microsofts built in software to "protect" my system - particularly as I know that the Win8 OS will be top of the search for vulnerabilities exploits made by hackers :-(

Since the rest of the system is secure I will just ignore the Metro tiles for now, I saw them in a shop laptop and they are nothing spectacular....For example as yet I have found no print option for the PDF viewer which is not a patch of Adobes one !

Thanks for help and comments tho....I will prob do a full clean install over Xmas when I have time to completely resetup and reconfigure my system or I may just go back to Win 7 which worked well and was stable - I dont see any massive improvements in 8 on the system I am running !

Saturday, December 08, 2012 12:05 PM
  • Good thinking.  I advise in my book for the reader to consider augmenting the Microsoft security suite (I'm most fond of Avast for the task) - for the reasons you mentioned.  I did do some testing and found the Microsoft software reasonably efficient for the task, but as you say it will be the prime target for malware to try to work around because its presence isn't exactly a surprise.

It might be wise to see if there are updates for the Kaspersky package you have that may help solve the issue.

Like you, I don't find the Metro/Modern tiles useful, and with all the configuration changes I've made (and 3rd party add-on software such as ClassicShell) I never see the Metro/Modern start screen anyway.

By the way I stayed on Windows 7 for my main workstation.  I only run Windows 8 in a virtual machine so as to keep familiar with it.

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Saturday, December 08, 2012 6:34 PM punctuation
    Saturday, December 08, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Gentlemen,

could you please clarify what is supposedly the culprit of Modern apps failing to start? AV software or FW rules? Anything preventing to initialize contract subsystem? Anything prohibiting access to registry settings (contract registrations)?

To me the problem looks as very severe, it'll be good to know the possible culprit to be able to eliminate this in the future.

Thank you.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Sunday, December 09, 2012 2:35 PM
  • I don't think anyone knows for sure, EH.

Early on, people who had Avast antivirus in Windows 7 then upgraded (retaining applications and configuration) found that Metro/Modern stuff didn't work.  The existing Avast installation was incompatible with Windows 8.  They've since released updates that work with Windows 8.

Not everyone finds that these things don't work, though reading this forum it's clear that more than a tiny number are having problems.

Did you upgrade?

With any new operating system I ALWAYS advise doing whatever it takes to create a fresh, clean install.  Upgrading often inherits problems and incompatibilities from the old system.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Simon S W Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:11 PM
    Sunday, December 09, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Personally I never upgrade Windows since when I upgraded one of my Windows Servers back then and corrupted my MMC console, and Windows Server without a MMC console is almost useless, yes you have WMI but this interface isn't what I'd recommend to anyone. I always prefer clean install provided that setup takes no more than 10 minutes (5 minutes something it took me yesterday to deploy install.wim to one of my laptops).

Of course, you lose the big thing, configuration settings, but... who knows how these old settings will work on a new setup.

That said, if you assume that the cause may be AV protection, I'd check drivers and make sure they are removed and no remnants left in registry. I don't think it's the case (I hardly believe this is the case), but for the sake of investigation, I would:

1. Remove AV using its built-in uninstallation facilities.

2. Make sure I removed its drivers (for Kaspersky that would be, I believe, the klif driver). So I would run: sc delete klif

Would be great to hear if I you have found a solution.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Monday, December 10, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Just wanted to add my name to the list of many people whose tiles are not working in metro screen.

See here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/add58267-d604-4d5e-962c-a3a3534009ff/#c6d29721-3c84-4848-91af-971b39c4ded8

"Sounds like something I experienced once during the prereleases. I.e. an error with win8 desktop initialization of that users profile ...

1a) Try login to that workstation with the domain admin account and delete the local copy of the domain users profile. Try to login again using that domain users account.

1b) If that does not work - and you are using roamig profiles, do step 1) again and go to the servers profile share to clean up the user state virtualization from Win8. I.e. look for new stuff - especially those generated cache files for the Start Screen and delete them. Then try again ..."

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Firstly thanks Noel for answers - I agree and gulp I'm scheduling in a full clean install over xmas when I dont need PC have not yet had the tiles working.

I now also get explorer locking up but have used a batch file to restart on one click and things are sometimes slow.

To be honest who is surprised that a brand new op sys from MS has a few bugs. Also I have never upgraded and always clean installed and never had probs I just needed to keep my config settings for now.....I know that the only answer is a clean install and frankly I  usually do a full rebuild annually anyway..

Wish me luck

Simon

Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:15 PM